Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Cornwall Pelagic

Old Saturday 2nd June 2018, 17:58   #1
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2018

Cornwall Pelagic

Hi all. Managed to get a pass from the OH for a full day in Cornwall. I'm assuming August to be the best month but would it be better later on in the month, or earlier? I've read about Mermaid II so would that be a good place to start?

Thanks for any information,

Rich

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 3rd July 2018, 19:02   #2
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2018

Ok. To partly answer my own question as others may find it useful,I've found out the following information:

Mermaid pleasure trips run pelagic trips every Saturday, throughout the Summer, out of Penzance. The Postcode is TR18 4BW and the contact number is 07901731201 or 01736 363191.

Cost is 55 p/person.

They are 6 hours in length, and start at 06:30. You're expected to be at the harbour for 06:15. (That's going to be a fun drive from Neath)

I believe they hold 35 people.

There's a public car park in the harbour, which costs 8 for the day.

Looking at previous sightings on Twitter, there's the possibility of an amazing array of Petrel, Shearwaters etc. I'm booked on the 18th of August which means naff all will be seen on that day.

I'll post anything we see when we get back.

http://cornwallboattrips.co.uk/pelagic-trips-2/
https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/transpor...ance-tr18-2gb/

Rich

Last edited by ClarkWGriswold : Tuesday 3rd July 2018 at 20:26.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 3rd July 2018, 21:17   #3
Jon Turner

Humph. I thought it was me being present that that guaranteed not seeing any birds!!
Old Tuesday 3rd July 2018, 21:29   #4
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Turner View Post
Humph. I thought it was me being present that that guaranteed not seeing any birds!!
You won't take my crown that easily Jon

Old Sunday 19th August 2018, 09:44   #5
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswold View Post

Looking at previous sightings on Twitter, there's the possibility of an amazing array of Petrel, Shearwaters etc. I'm booked on the 18th of August which means naff all will be seen on that day.

I'll post anything we see when we get back.

Rich
So, get anything?
Old Sunday 19th August 2018, 09:45   #6
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2018

So the alarm was set for Midnight yesterday and I picked my birding buddy up from Port Talbot at 01:00 We purposely set off early due to school holiday traffic on the M5. As it happened, we parked up at the main car park in the harbour at 04:30.

There are public toilets here but at that time they were locked. There are several supermarkets on the drive in though. The boat did have a toilet up front but, in the swell that we experienced, I think it could get "interesting".

The train station and bus station appeared very close to the harbour so, as long the times fitted in, the trip could be accessed via public transport.

I'd guess about 20 or so people were on the trip and it was very comfortable with this amount. The boat isn't huge and if I had one complaint, it was that by sitting at the back, over the engine, I couldn't hear a thing the guide was saying. It really could do with a tannoy system. I could see speakers so maybe they were temporarily not working.

Everybody met just along Quay Road toward the Ferry Terminal.

The Guide himself (sorry, can't remember his name) had outstanding ID skills. I was told that he'd completed some of the illustrations on the Seabirds of the North Atlantic book.

The atmosphere on the boat was great. Anything seen was quickly shouted out for all to try to get onto. We were sat by a very decent fella from Maidenhead who again, had superb ID skills. Great when it's your first Pelagic. Hope you enjoy the rest of your "family" holiday.

The trip takes you a few miles off the end of Lands End and if yesterday is the norm, there's quite a big swell there. Important to know if you suffer from seasickness. 4 or 5 of our group had their heads over the sides and looked pretty green on the return journey. Fortunately, Kev and myself were fine and tucked into some Scotch Eggs

The birds themselves were great. I'm not sure if regulars thought it was a little slow but I was well impressed. By slow I mean there were periods of high activity followed by some not very long (in my view) lulls.

Plenty of Gannets and Shags were seen on the way out with a few seeing a juvenile Little Gull. The journey on the way out produced a real highlight of several Cory Shearwaters coming into view. 12 were seen by the end of the trip. Fulmars also skimmed the surface around the boat. This has to be one of my favourite sights when out birding Quite a few Manxies were around as well.

Although we'd seen a few on the journey out, when the boat started chumming, the Storm Petrels really started to arrive. No idea on figures but into the 10's. In amongst them were 4 Wilsons Storm Petrels. A real joy to watch - pattering their feet on the surface of the water. Initially, they reminded me of Butterflies in how they flew but the more I watched them, the more I thought they reminded me of bats. Perhaps the Scotch Egg had spent too much time in the car?

Also at this time a juvenile Arctic Tern appeared and a couple of Bonxies harassed the local Gulls.

Also seen on the journey were several Common Dolphins, a few Sooty Shearwaters and a few Balearic Shearwaters.

In my book it was a cracking journey and well worth the 55. Just make sure you pack your sea legs

Rich

Old Sunday 19th August 2018, 10:22   #7
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWN Andrewes View Post
So, get anything?
Missed out on Great Shearwater James.

Rich

Old Sunday 19th August 2018, 10:37   #8
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Sounds like an excellent trip, well worth the money, some quality birds there. We're booked on for 1st September, so it's good to hear a first hand report, with some useful logistics details, so many thanks for that.
Old Sunday 19th August 2018, 10:58   #9
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Sounds like an excellent trip, well worth the money, some quality birds there. We're booked on for 1st September, so it's good to hear a first hand report, with some useful logistics details, so many thanks for that.
No worries James. Good luck for the 1st. Rich

Old Tuesday 21st August 2018, 11:43   #10
Paul Longland

sounds like a great trip and excellent value to boot. Too late now for this year but will certainly look into it for next as I have a lot of very large petrel/shearwater shaped holes in my list. I think as it is about a 5-6 hour drive down from Leicester though so it may well have to be a weekender. (any excuse to pop into a couple of places in Devon for Cirl Buntings whilst we are at it).

Shame you didn't manage to connect with any Great Shearwaters though. Unlucky as there had been some ridiculous numbers being reported a couple of weeks ago from Scilly palegics
Old Tuesday 21st August 2018, 12:16   #11
James Lowther

sounds like a good day out;
is there any info on (or easy way of figuring out) the success rates for the key species (particularly large shearwaters and wilson's petrel) on this trip in different months?

cheers,
James

Last edited by James Lowther : Tuesday 21st August 2018 at 12:29.
Old Tuesday 21st August 2018, 12:47   #12
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Longland View Post
sounds like a great trip and excellent value to boot. Too late now for this year but will certainly look into it for next as I have a lot of very large petrel/shearwater shaped holes in my list. I think as it is about a 5-6 hour drive down from Leicester though so it may well have to be a weekender. (any excuse to pop into a couple of places in Devon for Cirl Buntings whilst we are at it).

Shame you didn't manage to connect with any Great Shearwaters though. Unlucky as there had been some ridiculous numbers being reported a couple of weeks ago from Scilly palegics
We were going to camp the night before Paul but I didn't fancy the M5 on a Friday evening after work.

Rich

Old Tuesday 21st August 2018, 12:50   #13
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lowther View Post
sounds like a good day out;
is there any info on (or easy way of figuring out) the success rates for the key species (particularly large shearwaters and wilson's petrel) on this trip in different months?

cheers,
James
Not sure James. Unfortunately they don't keep their blog particularly well updated. The fella sitting next to me had seen Wilsons on a previous trip. He was also expecting Great Shearwaters rather than Corys given his previous experience.

The Scilly Pelagic have been producing everything recently.

Rich

Old Tuesday 21st August 2018, 18:44   #14
ambduck5

I am only guessing but I suspect your 'expert' on board was Martin Elliott. He is certainly one of the top seabird men in West Cornwall.
Old Tuesday 21st August 2018, 20:00   #15
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2018

I think you're right Cheers ambduck5

Rich

Old Sunday 26th August 2018, 12:23   #16
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Anyone know what was seen yesterday?
Old Sunday 26th August 2018, 15:37   #17
foresttwitcher

According to Birdguides MV Mermaid had 3 Sooty Shearwater & c.20 European Storm Petrel in Mounts Bay yesterday.

Can't see the birds for the trees!
Old Sunday 26th August 2018, 16:12   #18
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Cheers Pete. Looks like Rich picked the right weekend then!
Old Sunday 26th August 2018, 16:55   #19
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Cheers Pete. Looks like Rich picked the right weekend then!
Lol. For the first, and last time I suspect

Heading down to Strumble soon. I guarantee my luck will change there

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: