• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willow Emerald Damselfly? (1 Viewer)

Clive Watson

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit ampheta
Just wanted to get some expert opinion about this damselfly, photographed at Boldermere, Surrey, on 24/7/16. There were two emeralds, a male and a female, and since I've photographed male Common Emerald at Boldermere before, I concentrated on the female. As far as I can remember, the male was a Common Emerald and so I presumed the female was too, but having looked at it again, I'm wondering if it was a Willow Emerald. The pale brown pterostigma clearly suggests Willow Emerald but in the side view, I'm struggling to see the thorax spur and so I'm not 100% sure. Unfortunately once I'd finished with the female, I couldn't find the male again so I don't have any photos of that.

Attachments

• IMG_5820 web.jpg
    IMG_5820 web.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_5834 web.jpg
    IMG_5834 web.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 140
Hi Clive,

This is an immature (Common) Emerald Damselfly Lestes sponsa. The pterostigma of all emerald damselflies, indeed of almost all Odonata, start off pale when the insects first emerge, and then develop any characteristic colouring afterwards. Especially early on in the season, the pale pterostigma of Willow Emerald are thus only really a guide - the pattern on the thorax is more definitive.

She looks like an immature Emerald Damselfly (Lestes sponsa) to me - there is the isolated green spot above the middle leg, there is no green on the side of the prothorax and the thoracic spur is not pronounced enough for Willow Emerald.

Attached a pic of the head / thorax of a female Willow Emerald.

Attachments

• 600D_9227.jpg
    600D_9227.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 111
Ah, so I was right to be cautious. The books seem to show mainly adults, when the pterostigma differences are clear. Willow Emerald does seem to be on its way to Surrey though, and that overgrown pond adjacent to the second car park at Boldermere looks like it has some potential spots for egg-laying Willow Emeralds to me.

Many thanks for the confirmation.

Ah, so I was right to be cautious. The books seem to show mainly adults, when the pterostigma differences are clear. Willow Emerald does seem to be on its way to Surrey though, and that overgrown pond adjacent to the second car park at Boldermere looks like it has some potential spots for egg-laying Willow Emeralds to me.

Many thanks for the confirmation.

Hi Clive,

Only just seen this!

Re: Willow Emerald in Surrey... I found them here on the Holmethorpe/Nutfield Marsh area (NE of Redhill) in 2015 - but I don't believe that was the first sighting, I subsequently heard of a guy from BDS who had found some the previous year.

I've also heard tell that they are at Priory Park in Reigate, although I've never been to look myself.

They are doing pretty well here at Holmethorpe and, like many other insects, seem to be getting earlier and earlier in the season - we had our first sightings last week, and I saw 6 yesterday.

Let me know if you want any more info re: location...

Rgds... Ray

Been present for at least 2 years in parts of SW London in the Surrey sector such as Wimbledon Common, London Wetland Centre + Richmond Park. Ovipositing recorded at two of these sites.

Hi Clive,

Only just seen this!

Re: Willow Emerald in Surrey... I found them here on the Holmethorpe/Nutfield Marsh area (NE of Redhill) in 2015 - but I don't believe that was the first sighting, I subsequently heard of a guy from BDS who had found some the previous year.

I've also heard tell that they are at Priory Park in Reigate, although I've never been to look myself.

They are doing pretty well here at Holmethorpe and, like many other insects, seem to be getting earlier and earlier in the season - we had our first sightings last week, and I saw 6 yesterday.

Let me know if you want any more info re: location...

Rgds... Ray

Hi Ray

Any chance you could share directions to your willow emeralds at Holmethorpe? PM if sensitive. Living in Wilts they are getting closer, but still not seen one myself!

Thanks

Paul

Hi Ray

Any chance you could share directions to your willow emeralds at Holmethorpe? PM if sensitive. Living in Wilts they are getting closer, but still not seen one myself!

Thanks

Paul

No problem Paul,

Here's a link through to the web-site - which is a bit out of date as rgds species lists etc, but there is a site-map on one of the links on the menu on the right side of the screen....

http://holmethorpe.blogspot.co.uk/

I believe the first sighting was in an area which is inaccessible to the general public, but the area that I have found them in for the last 3 years is around one of the lakes called Spynes Mere - where they can be found in any sunny spot on the hedges surrounding the water, with the eastern end being particularly good.

A good tip for Willow Emerald is that they are often found perching at approx head height....

The whole complex is worth a look round actually, and is within an area delineated by the M25, M23, A25 and A23.

Rgds... Ray

Hi All,

If anyone wanted to go look for Willow Emeralds at Spynes Mere, now is probably a good time.... I did a butterfly survey round there yesterday, and counted 39 Willow Emeralds!

If anyone is interested, we also have Brown Hairstreaks there - this one was photographed this morning, but we have been having sightings for the last couple of weeks.... Shame this one is missing most of a wing!

All the best... Ray

Attachments

• WE.jpg
    WE.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 70
  • Brown Hairstreak.JPG
    Brown Hairstreak.JPG
    463.6 KB · Views: 51
Leading a walk last Saturday we saw about 10 Willow Emeralds at one of the ponds in Richmond Park + found one by the main lake in Kew Gardens yesterday. I've even received a record (+ photo) of one in Buckingham Palace gardens- first inner London record to the best of my knowledge.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back