• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Window mount for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Russ Jones

Hi,

I’m using a Manfrotto q6 style qr plate on my spotting scope to tripod. I’d like to find a small ball head that will fit a q6 clamp on it, for my window mount. can anyone suggest a model that will accept this part?

Thanks

Hi,

I’m using a Manfrotto q6 style qr plate on my spotting scope to tripod. I’d like to find a small ball head that will fit a q6 clamp on it, for my window mount. can anyone suggest a model that will accept this part?

Thanks

Q6 is supposed to be Arca-Swiss compatible, so you could use any ballhead that comes with an Arca-Swiss clamp (many available, the best from Arca-Swiss, Really Right Stuff, Kirk...or imitators) or else get a ballhead that allows (as any good model will) a Manfrotto Q6 or Arca-Swiss style clamp (from Manfrotto, Really Right Stuff, Kirk,...or imitators) to be bolted to it.

Some specific examples: Kirk BH-3 (is medium in size), Really Right Stuff BH-25 pro (is very small in size).

--AP

P.S. Reading a bit about the Q6, it turns out that it really isn't AS compatible. You can use Q6 plates in other AS type systems, but the Q6 clamp really only works well with Q6 plates. What I wrote above will still work. You can use other brands of AS clamps, but don't use other brands of plates with your existing Q6 clamp.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back