• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

T FL 8x42 (1 Viewer)

T Fl

I found these binoculars, secondhand, and cost about 900 euros, of course, for this price I have seen new Kowa Genesis 8.5X44 or a Vortex Razor HD 8X42, could these last two be a good alternative to the Zeiss Victory FL?
Wachi.

Depends on the shape they are in for 900 euros/1100 us dollars. I lucked out and bought my 8X42 for that price but it was near mint since the owner preferred the 8X32 FL he bought at the same time, been sitting in a box for years.
Additionally I also got a green one for less, but it is out to Zeiss for some minor issues. The one thing I have noticed with them, they exhibit a bit of distortion but they are in their element at dawn or dusk, a really bright glass. Additionally very light in weight when compared with other premium binos.

A.W.

Depends on the shape they are in for 900 euros/1100 us dollars. I lucked out and bought my 8X42 for that price but it was near mint since the owner preferred the 8X32 FL he bought at the same time, been sitting in a box for years.
Additionally I also got a green one for less, but it is out to Zeiss for some minor issues. The one thing I have noticed with them, they exhibit a bit of distortion but they are in their element at dawn or dusk, a really bright glass. Additionally very light in weight when compared with other premium binos.

A.W.

Easy to say but I'll say it anyway: stop looking at the distortion. All binos distort because they are a snakepit of competing distortions and aberrations that the makers balance in what they think is the best way. They can't get rid of them. Some of them are necessary.

Binos are there for us to look at other things not the binos themselves or their distortions.

OK thats enough of a rant from me. My pet hate is free play in the focuser which drives me up the proverbial wall, so hey, I should shut up before my foot gets even more stuck in my mouth.

Lee

Tfl

Lee,

I will agree about the free play in a focus mechanism of any glass, enjoying the TF Ls on this dark gray day, perfect for 8X42 format.

A.W.

Easy to say but I'll say it anyway: stop looking at the distortion. All binos distort because they are a snakepit of competing distortions and aberrations that the makers balance in what they think is the best way. They can't get rid of them. Some of them are necessary.

Binos are there for us to look at other things not the binos themselves or their distortions.

OK thats enough of a rant from me. My pet hate is free play in the focuser which drives me up the proverbial wall, so hey, I should shut up before my foot gets even more stuck in my mouth.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back