• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astro eyepieces in spotting scopes (1 Viewer)

michaelmorris

Astro eyepieces in spotting scopes?

I'm looking to buy a spotting scope. One option is to use it as a grab 'n' go astro scope as well. To this end I'm looking at 65 to 80 mm scopes with ED glass in the optics. If I wanted to use the astro scope option I would really be looking to be able to use astronomical 1.25" eyepieces in it.

So far I've identified that the Celestron Regal range and Pentax ED range will both use astronomical eyepieces. Are there any other ranges of spotting scopes that will take this type of eyepiece either directly or with an adaptor? I'm especially interested in scopes at the 'sane' end of the price range.

Last edited:
they are the main contenders. However if you break your rule "I'm especially interested in scopes at the 'sane' end of the price range." then you could also look at the zeiss scopes, which have an adapter.
Baader hyperion zoom will fit some other scopes, but imo stick with above options.

FOr grab n go the Pentax's lower weight wins ...

THe Baader hyperion zoom has issues with the Pentax (which may be fixable). And AFAIK hasn't been tried with the Celestron (but I'd love to be proved wrong).

Take a look at some of the threads here.

Rather out of your price range but the Zeiss 65 FL (and 85 FL) both have adaptor that enable them to use 1.25" EPs.

FOr grab n go the Pentax's lower weight wins ...

THe Baader hyperion zoom has issues with the Pentax (which may be fixable). And AFAIK hasn't been tried with the Celestron (but I'd love to be proved wrong).

Take a look at some of the threads here.

Rather out of your price range but the Zeiss 65 FL (and 85 FL) both have adaptor that enable them to use 1.25" EPs.
The Baader is great with the Celestron Ultima range. You also get a range of adaptor rings with it.

"You also get a range of adaptor rings with it."

DO you know where they can be bought? I have 2nd hand scope from ebay, didnt come with any extras!

DO you have parts number for the rings?

tnx)

The Baader is great with the Celestron Ultima range. You also get a range of adaptor rings with it.

Of course! My mistake.

They provide the "M35 adaptor" or rather the modular EP can fit on multiple mounts but it's not 1.25" EP on that scope.

There are no 1.25" to Celestron Ultima (Synta) EP adaptors. I spent some time looking a while back and posted the results here.

The "adaptors" comes with the "modular" EP.

http://www.alpineastro.com/Hyperion-Eyepieces_com/hyperion-eyepieces.htm

You wont go wrong with any of the Pentax PF Scopes.
And their XW EPs are second to none.
And they come with cases unlike the Euro scopes.
Brian.

Hi to all:

my experience w/ these scopes may not be typical, but maybe i can add some "just for me"/YMMV comments. the baader hyperion zoom will not reach infinity focus w/ the Celestron Regal 65, but the zoom supplied w/ the scope is not bad. a bit soft and displays CA at the 40 to 48mm setting, but powers up to 32 on the ring setting is quite good. what i have found helpful is the ability to go down to 16X, which is a real boon in our area where the humidity often hovers around 400% dawn to dusk, and anything about 20-diameters is useless. i use scopes mostly on a windowpod, which allows (at times) pretty close approach, where mags in the teens gives a fairly large image scale with the added benefit of pushing heat shimmer down below visibility, or nearly so.

the 17mm Hyperion is really quite a looker on the CFED. i compared this combo w/ the Nikon 82FS, and they are very close in their ability to render fine detail. CA at this power for both is for all intents and purposes a nonissue.

i divested myself of my personal copy of the pentax 65EDII, which i found inferior to the CFED. the Celestron is twice, or more so, the wt. and bulk of the pent so if i was planning on toting a scope any distance at all i personally would then favor the pent.

i also tried a hyperion zoom/zeiss diascope combo, the 65mm version, but returned it also because of what i percieved as a strong yellow bias, and other optical issues.

i have not/did not try the ziess, CFED (so far), or Pent 65 for astro use- if one or the other performed better on the night sky, that might sway my decision.

regards,
UTC

i also retu

14mm Baader fixed-focal length eyepiece with M35 thread

just stumbled across this....

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...2408_Baader-GEN-II-14mm---60--wide-angle.html

seems scope body is same as celestron ultima.

"Special use as fixed-focal length eyepiece for spotting scopes using the M35 thread:"

I was under the impression that the baader zoom uses same thread to attach to these scope bodies ie celestron, acuter etc

That is VERY interesting to me. I have a Celestron Ultima-80 and have been looking for eyepiece options with longer eye relief. The only option I have found thus far has been the Baader zoom. I don't see this 14mm Baader eyepiece with the M35 thread advertized anywhere but on the site link supplied by woodhornbirder. I wonder if it's something new, that will be available in the USA eventually?

Isn't that just the regular Hyperion eyepiece plus the "1 1/4” Diascope-bayonet-adaptor (# 2454500). You get all these bits with the Zoom (where it's fully modular) but it's an bolt-on optional extra for the fixed EPs.

See the top left corner of this one page Hyperion fixed EP brochure with the picture of a fixed length Hyperion EP on a Zeiss spotter. And the image below.

http://www.baader-planetarium.com/pdf/hyperion-okulare_englisch.pdf

and in http://www.baader-planetarium.com/pdf/hyperion_brief_description_e.pdf

01.3 – Hyperion fix-focal-length eyepieces at the Zeiss Diascope Fluorite-Spotting Scope

The Hyperion eyepieces 24/21/17/13 and 8mm may be used on any Zeiss Diascope Spotting Scopes. In this case, a Baader Diascope bayonet eyepiece adapter (#2454500) is required. This adapter allows to attach 1 1/2" Astro-eyepieces to Zeiss Diascope Spotting Scopes. It is pushed onto the 1 1/2" barrel of the Hyperion eyepiece and held in this position by means of three small locking screwswhich are locking down on a bronce clamp ring to not mar the eyepiece.

Not sure if this is sold in the US.

All just speculation as I don't have a fixed length Hyperion to see if it comes to focus but this is interesting. That 13mm would make an interesting fixed 30ish eyepiece for my Zeiss 65FL.

Attachments

• Baader 1 1:4” Diascope-bayonet-adaptor (# 2454500).jpg
    Baader 1 1:4” Diascope-bayonet-adaptor (# 2454500).jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Isn't that just the regular Hyperion eyepiece plus the "1 1/4” Diascope-bayonet-adaptor (# 2454500). You get all these bits with the Zoom (where it's fully modular) but it's an bolt-on optional extra for the fixed EPs.

I think the Diascope bayonet adapter is different. They have a picture of it on the bottom of page 4 of this document: http://www.baader-planetarium.com/pdf/hyperion_brief_description_e.pdf

The 35mm female thread is needed for the Celestron's male thread. The zoom comes with the 35mm adapter, as shown at the top of page 6 of that document.

I hope I'm wrong, since the fixed Hyperion eyepieces have a wider AFOV (68*)with the same 20mm eye relief.
Bill

Just jumping into the conversation here, as I can touch on some of these subjects.

The best dual purpose astro + birding scope (in my opinion) is the TV60 from TeleVue. It's not a whole heck of a lot of aperture for astronomy, but it is world class. The moon and brighter planets through it are "stellar", pardon the pun. It is tack sharp, unbeatable. But, like I said, does not have a whole heck of a lot of light-grasp, which is a major criteria for some amatuer astronomers. Detail in some of the more dim objects (like most galaxies and nebulea) are out of its reach, especially if you live in an area with a lot of light pollution.

On the other hand, something like the Zeiss diascope is the pits for astronomy.

The TV-60 is also one heck of a birding scope. The image is bright and sharp. I lugged this scope around for a week in the mountains of Puerto Rico, and in some of the drier, ocean regions. It performed superbly and held up well, despite not being built as rugged as something like a Diascope.

The best EPs for the TV-60 are the 24mm Panoptic and the 13mm Nagler. These are also world-class astronomy EPs.

I have a Baader Hyperion 17mm EP with my diascope. I can attest it will not come to focus without the bayonet adapter.

I actually prefer my TV-60 to my Diascope 85 on all fronts except ruggedness. The TV-60 is not waterproof and this scares me a bit.

2) As far as astronomy EPs go on spotting scopes. The 24mm Panoptic is awesome on the Diascope 85, but shows some field curvature at the edges. The power is a little low at 20x, but the view is stunning.

The Baader 17mm Hyperion is probably the best astronomy EP for the diascope. It is pretty sharp to the edge, and not too much magnification.

The Hyperion does require the bayonet adapter and will not come to focus without it. Nor will it come to focus with the Zeiss manufactured astronomy adapter for the diascope, though TV EPs will.

The bayonet adapter is not available in the states, but can be special ordered through a dealer like AstroPhysics. I got one for $45, but had to wait a while for it to arrive.

Ok, to wrap this long thread up -- if you're looking for a dual purpose bird + asrto scope. You cannot go wrong with the TV-60. I love it. I think its as good as the diascope (or better). It's just not waterproof and this sometimes scares me. Like I said, it's not made for the elements like traditional spotting scopes are (though I have used it in some rugged terrain without problems). But, then again, traditional birding scopes are not very capable at astronomy.

`have a Baader Hyperion 17mm EP with my diascope. `

have one on my pentax 65 and it focuses fine.....tends to suffer from kidney beaning tho (

I agree with the kidney beaning. But I enjoy the 68 degree and the bump up in mag from a 24 pan. I'm also not a fan of zooms, so the 17mm Hyperion it is for me.

Just ordered Baader GENII 18mm for my Celestron

Well, call me impetuous, but I just couldn't wait.

After searching in vain for a vendor in the USA, I ordered the Baader GENII 18mm wide angle from Teleskop Service (see link above). Shipping cost me almost as much as the eyepiece, but still came to only about $100-US.

I'm thinking it should make a nice 27x with significantly better eye relief and wider AFOV than the Baader zoom, which AFAIK is the only other choice for the Celestron Ultima series.

If anybody is interested I'll post some comments when I get it.

I think the Diascope bayonet adapter is different. They have a picture of it on the bottom of page 4 of this document: http://www.baader-planetarium.com/pdf/hyperion_brief_description_e.pdf

The 35mm female thread is needed for the Celestron's male thread. The zoom comes with the 35mm adapter, as shown at the top of page 6 of that document.

I hope I'm wrong, since the fixed Hyperion eyepieces have a wider AFOV (68*)with the same 20mm eye relief.
Bill

Good point.

I skipped over that one assuming that it would be an M35 mount like the Hyperion Zoom. It's not so much an adaptor on the zoom as a set of modular bits (you swap out the 1.25" snout and add the M35 ring.

Good point.

I skipped over that one assuming that it would be an M35 mount like the Hyperion Zoom. It's not so much an adaptor on the zoom as a set of modular bits (you swap out the 1.25" snout and add the M35 ring.

Looking at the pictures in the brochure, I don't think you have to swap anything, but rather just remove the 1.25" snout and you're left with M35 female thread. In other words, the 1.25" snout has a M35 male thread on the end that attaches to the eye piece.

In any case, I'm anxious to try the 18mm fixed eyepiece on this scope. I mainly use this particular scope for target shooting, from 25 yards to 200 yards. With my eye glasses and the Celestron zoom eye piece it's somewhat of a struggle to get into the "eye box" of the scope. I need to be able to take a shot, then lean over to the scope to confirm my shot without loosing my concentration or my shooting position.

I'd been considering the Baader zoom, but I'm not sure if it would be much better than the stock eyepiece from that standpoint. The only eye relief number I have for the stock zoom is the advertized 18mm at 20x. I'm not sure I believe the Celestron propaganda, but if it's correct that is longer than the Baader zoom at 20X according to one thread I've read in these forums.

With the fixed 18mm eyepiece giving 27x I may have an issue seeing .30 cal. holes in paper at 200 yards, but that remains to be seen. That would be the equivalent of seeing those holes with the naked eye at about 22 feet. There is a 10mm Baader Gen-II with the same 20mm ER, that would give me 48X. Hmmm, maybe I should have ordered it at the same time. ... Gotta go.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back