• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Storks? (1 Viewer)

froggy2

Hi all

When we moved here I didn't realise we were directly below the flightpath for this lot going home. I think they are white storks?

Not a sight you will see in the UK, so thought I would share it.

Please excuse the quality, but they were VERY
high (just black dots), and the camera is a hand held digital compact on 80x zoom!

We are just a little inland of Bordeaux, and they were flying a little east of north, so I assume Belgium way?

Attachments

• IMG_08042.jpg
    IMG_08042.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_08052.jpg
    IMG_08052.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_08072.jpg
    IMG_08072.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_08082.jpg
    IMG_08082.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_08092.jpg
    IMG_08092.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 79
How do I tell the difference?
They sounded almost like Turkeys when they flew over!
Over a period of about one hour there were more than a dozen flights of around 100 birds, usually in v-formation, but occasionally, for some reason or other, they would all wheel about for a couple of minutes before proceeding on their way.

How do I tell the difference?
They sounded almost like Turkeys when they flew over!
Over a period of about one hour there were more than a dozen flights of around 100 birds, usually in v-formation, but occasionally, for some reason or other, they would all wheel about for a couple of minutes before proceeding on their way.

White Stork are black and white, Cranes grey and black, you can always hear the Cranes calling grooo grooo like Grus grus Common Crane:t:

slightly longer necks and legs in crane. cranes call a lot and migrate with active wingbeats also. they do V-formations when active migrating. in views like this you see the blackish appearing necks. less protruding legs in white stork. and i think you will not find such a large flock of western storks at your location. they arrive a bit later, too.
http://www.birdphoto.org.uk/USERIMAGES/White Stork(2).jpg
http://www.tatzpit.com/data/Images/תצפית חסידות בנדידה בסוסיתה copy.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-R7FtxpSkl.../KoJwtUGajQU/s1600/White+storks+8011+crop.jpg

Last edited:
...but occasionally, for some reason or other, they would all wheel about for a couple of minutes before proceeding on their way.

I would imagine this would be because the lead birds had found a significant thermal or two and they ride these in a circular pattern gaining altitude before continuing on their course.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back