• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A start (1 Viewer)

esmondb

The fool that MrT doesn't pity
Well let's get this forum started then....

Equipment used:

Sony TRV330 digital camcorder with 25x optical zoom (Ø37mm lens).
This is roughly equivalent to 10x magnification binoculars.
The cam uses Digital8 tape (none of the miniDV models available at the time could boast such a large zoom)
Velbon D700 tripod - light enough to be easily carried, sturdy enough to be worth carrying. Good fluid action. Left or right hand use.
Sony VCLHG2037 2x teleconverter. Gives a definite 2x upgrade with little loss in light gathering or clarity.

Some example footage with both lenses to follow.

What equipment are the rest of you out there using?

Hi esmondb,

Now this is a really interesting topic.

I'm currently using a Sony VX-1000 for underwater work. Its allegedly near broadcast quality (certainly the beeb use them a lot).

I've been sitting there wondering if I can form some sort of unholy marriage between the cam and my scope.....so do you think the better way to go is with lenses for the camera instead?

Great camera!
I think you are going to really struggle trying pair your cam and your scope, though.
Typically you'd want a Ø37mm lens mount on your camcorder to match up with the eyepiece on your scope - see digiscoping for info.
Even if you could get around this problem think about the weight of your camera and all of that weight transferred through the lens mount. :-C
External lenses are probably the only way to go unless you have an ultra-light fit-in-your-pocket camcorder.
Unfortunately these are not cheap, not if you want quality.

I,m thinking of trying my Cannon ES3000 coupled to my Leica Scope.
Cannon is an older model but takes great pics on HI-8 tape. It also has an 20X optical zoom .
I'm planning on using a bar to mount Cannon to Leica Scope.
Hand held I get a good image, but the weight kills the arm. ;0)

Hope to have this completed by the time Spring shows up here in New Jersey.
I discovered on "eBay", an item called "Snappy", that allows you to "capture" frames from movies, Tele Shows, etc.
"Snappy" is attached to your computer through a "parallel port", video cables from TV/VCR attach to "Snappy", a program allows options on "capture".
Have you seen this product?
Bob

Last edited:
I can't imagine the Snappy is fast enough to convert real-time video to DV (if its using parallel), which is the way to go if you want to do any editing. Don't they do a DV model? A 'Firewire' IEEE1394 card for your PC isn't expensive.

I've found some free webspace and converted a piece of footage - what do you think? Does it capture the essence of the bird?

Link moved to footage section of Videscoping

Last edited:
I've been using a Panasonic mini DV with 20X optical zoom. The other reason I got it is because it has an 1/8000 shutter speed. Still frames, while nowhere near to the Nikon, are decent and about all I can get for many flying birds. I do get a definite blue fringe in digital zoom though. Has anyone tried the EagleEye setup?

http://www.eagleeyeuk.com/

I don't know of anyone who has tries the EagleEye in a video setup, but I'd be surprised if Andy Bright (digiscoping guru) hasn't used it with a camera.
I'd love to try one to see whether or not I could make any use from it.
1/8000 - is that for moving images or stills (or both)? What's the light gathering like at that speed? Here in the UK during the best birding weather I can't often use the max shutter settings on my Sony without getting dull results (loss of detail).

Finally, do you use your camcorder for stills or movies? Any footage to share?

I'm having technical difficulties just now. Apparently a Micro$oft upgrade has stepped all over Vegas Video, and I'm now having difficulty downloading to my HD. But I have some interesting footage. I would have been better off shooting video of some roadrunners the other day, but I tried for stills instead.

At 1/8000, video looks a little jerky and is mainly for stills I think. It slows the wing beat of hummers to an artistic blur. You're right though, I can only use it in fairly bright light. You can shoot stills straight to the memory card at 1/8000 though. On the Panasonic 401, maximum still size is only 640X480.

In a rush at the moment, and this weekend is shot. Sorry but will try to get some stills downloaded next week. I only just discovered the video forum. Can you send video as an attachment? What is recommended format and such?

Attachments

• bf pdvd_015.jpg
    bf pdvd_015.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 411
Unfortunately the size of most video footage would prevent you from posting it to the bird forum server. I think it's only set up for jpegs anyway. The biggest problem is finding a codec that you can convert to that is a) readable by most people, b) doesn't make your footage look like an unidentifiable, messy blur and c) isn't too large to download, even in these days of broadband.

At the moment I'm converting DV down to Windows Media which anyone with a PC and most Mac users can watch, and gives a good image for a not too large (these things are relative of course) filesize

That's a great reply. Hopefully that becomes the standard sort of reply to the question of what equipment and why.

Hi Esmond found you tried to download your video clip of the Red Kite. But my PC tells me I haven't got the right movie player installed, upset or what!

Media Player should automatically download the relevant codec if it's not already installed, or you can go to Microsoft CODEC download to obtain the relevant file (824KB).

I'll have another look at posting as MPEG as it's probably the most compatible, although more 'lossy'.
I'm still at the experimental stage when it comes to codecs. So far Windows Media has come out tops in relation to size and clarity, but I'm always open to suggestion.

Hi Esmond,

Sorry for the big delay - I've been very very busy....plus my coolpix came back from repair, so I've been taking stills for a while.

After looking at the logistics of how scope and camera would mate up, you're definitely right about it being unfeasible. So, I'm off to order a 2x converter for the Sony and as soon as I get some results I'll post them.

The only question now is where do I put all this extra kit when in the field? Its bad enough with bins / scope / camera / batteries / flask / sarnies. Hmmm....I suppose I could always do without the sarnies.... ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back