• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Topography Pictures Wanted (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the post Dave, I always wondered how the folded up and the order of them...that helped a lot

Keith
here is the wing, I used a few refs for it, but mostly it's from a pigeon wing, I tried to keep it clear and simple, but it's in pencil in case something needs changing...I tried to be accurate for the main feathers and fudged a bit on the coverts, this is a top view

Attachments

• wing-diagram-top-9677.gif
    wing-diagram-top-9677.gif
    235.1 KB · Views: 160
Collen,
More great artwork. I might suggest that any wing (or other) drawings be from just one specific specie as they do vary between species and note as you did the source. Here's a link I found to a sketch of a Pigeon's wing that may be helpful for details (though I like your drawings better!).

A "composite" or "typical" drawing could be done for a family but it would require the requisite knolwedge of that family that most of us don't have.

will do Dave,
I understood that it was for generic labeling , on this one it's 98% pigeon, I slightly altered the tips of the first 3 primaries, but perspective could account for that, for the rest I counted the feathers and put in what I saw.

Dave B, the wing pictures are great, really show how the wing folds. I reckon that is just what we need for Opus. I'd be interested to see what else you have...lol

Colleen, your wing picture is just what I need, in order to label it up showing the feather tracts. Something for me to do tomorrow I think.

Last edited:
Keith, went to the site Dave linked to, would you like me to make the "wrist" more distinctive....as I said it's pencil I could change it.

Could you Colleen? It would be nice. Just to show alula a bit more prominently would be good.
I envy you the skill with a pencil. If I tried to draw this it would look horrid and there'd be masses of erasure marks.

Dave B, the wing pictures are great, really show how the wing folds. I reckon that is just what we need for Opus. I'd be interested to see what else you have...lol

Colleen, your wing picture is just what I need, in order to label it up showing the feather tracts. Something for me to do tomorrow I think.

Hi Keith

Here are a few more

1. A basic topo map for beginners
2. Leg
3. Head
4,5. Showing how the scapulars can be held 'closed' or 'open'

More to come!

Dave

Attachments

• Basic Topog tail.jpg
    Basic Topog tail.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 51
  • bare part topography7.jpg
    bare part topography7.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 46
  • head topography12 copy.jpg
    head topography12 copy.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 56
  • scaps closed.jpg
    scaps closed.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 60
  • scaps open copy.jpg
    scaps open copy.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 60

Here's another lot. The photos are my own so not infringing any copyright! They aren't labeled because I add these on my powerpoints. The flight pics are in mud brown so that I can add generic wingbars, rump and tail patterns, etc.

Hope they are of help.

Dave

Attachments

• underpart topography7.jpg
    underpart topography7.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 55
  • upperpart topography9.jpg
    upperpart topography9.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 53
  • upperwing and tail copy.jpg
    upperwing and tail copy.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 48
  • underwing1 copy.jpg
    underwing1 copy.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 46
those are way cool Dave I'm learning a lot here

Keith, here is the revised pigeon wing hope, this one works

I read a little tract on the internet about how to draw wings today, it said if you want to do angels you should use a pigeon wing for a model not an albatross or gull... so I guess I'm all set now if I ever want to draw angels :-O

Attachments

• pigeon-wing-revised.gif
    pigeon-wing-revised.gif
    213.6 KB · Views: 49
those are way cool Dave I'm learning a lot here

Keith, here is the revised pigeon wing hope, this one works

I read a little tract on the internet about how to draw wings today, it said if you want to do angels you should use a pigeon wing for a model not an albatross or gull... so I guess I'm all set now if I ever want to draw angels :-O

Hi Colleen,

Had to read that twice to make sure you weren't talking about angles! It reminded me of the time long ago when I was wandering around Paris, a huge skinhead approached me to ask if I spoke English. Around his neck he had had tattooed the legend H.E.L.L.S. A.N.G.L.E.S - but you can bet I didn't laugh - or have the guts to point out the 'typo'! If you ask me, angels would have a lot more fun on gulls' wings, or even albatrosses' - now - how about a series Colleen?

Hi Tim

I did get out the pencils the other day but soon went back to the tablet! Just doing lots of waders at various stages of moult (that series of Curlew Sands if you remember that far back) for a seminar I'm doing in Oct. Not sure that qualifies as painting!

A recent lack of comment generally should not be taken as a lack of interest or admiration for all that goes on in this forum.

Cheers

Dave

That series of photos is excellent Dave, I wouldn't have thought of colouring photos to id feather tracts. Brilliant idea which I am going to copy on some of my photos.

Colleen the wing is now more or less exactly how I thought so I'll get to work labelling it up today.

I dont want to tread on Colleen's toes but heres a couple to show the speculum.
Left out colour so you can use how you want.
Hope they are of help but you have taken on a lifetimes work with this.

Attachments

• L1180006.jpg
    L1180006.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 49
  • L1180009.jpg
    L1180009.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 54
Here's another lot. The photos are my own so not infringing any copyright! They aren't labeled because I add these on my powerpoints. The flight pics are in mud brown so that I can add generic wingbars, rump and tail patterns, etc.

Hope they are of help.

Dave

Yo Dave B- hope the wait for this autumn's returning waders is not proving too painful.

I dont want to tread on Colleen's toes but heres a couple to show the speculum.
Left out colour so you can use how you want.
Hope they are of help but you have taken on a lifetimes work with this.

Thanks Arthur. they'll do nicely for the duck section I reckon.
I don't think it will be a lifetimes work..... and I'm not intending to do it all myself. Merely show the way, hoping that others will pick up the baton and run with it, so to speak.

Well Keith, now you know who to go to for precision drawing, which is much more Arthur's style than mine :) The duck wings are just beautiful.

I could do another head if you like if you need one, or whatever do you want to have next?

right...been busy on the Opus page today. Shoving text and pictures into it.
Have a look HERE and see where your pics have finished up
oh and don't worry there is still a lot more to come...LOL

I do hope lots of BF members view this thread.Anyone can point a camera at a bird and take a photo,but the artistic talent from these members is amazing.I guess many members as myself,just gaze in envy,but a big thankyou ,to the posters on this thread,it is great to see the work in progress.

Looking good Keith, everything is nice and clear and readable, I love Dave's contributions, something I've not seen before, the combination of art and computer graphics is really nice too.

What are you considering next, let me know, but for line drawings,
I think Arthur would be my choice:)

Fantastic work by all - both the art and the descriptions. One of the most enjoyable and educational threads on BF! I think this is an excellent addition to Opus.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back