• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice pse - Swarovski UCA Adaptor with Cannon EOS (1 Viewer)

SAARLAND BIRDER

Help please: I am about to venture into digiscoping, but need some advice.

I have a Swarovski ATM 80HD 'scope and Cannon EOS 350HD camera. Ordinarily, the Swarovski UCA Adaptor would seem to be the right extra but the lens I use with the camera is a Cannon 35-80mm Power Zoom. The write-up for the UCA advocates a "fixed 50mm lens". The question then arises as to whether the 35-80mm lens will fit within the UCA (it projects 70mm, fixed, out from the camera frame). Having viewed associated video "instructions", I am inclined to think that there is somewhat more than 70mm front clearance available in the UCA, but would like to be sure before ordering.

Can anyone offer advice please.

Many thanks

For the UCA you need to add the depth of the camera body into the calculation. I suspect it would be too long. It's 3.00 am here but I will dig it out at first light and measure it and report back.
Neil

I am with Neil.... Too long . I think you can pick up a nifty 50 for $50 or so. Worth trying. I always digiscoping with my canon S90...the larger cameras plus lens just that much more weight to carry around and other than fps, you won't gain anything... Jim

Advice pse

Many thanks to Neil and Iman66 for quick response. If Neil could provide the clearance measurement I would be most grateful.

Thanks again, and good birding.

I am with Neil.... Too long . I think you can pick up a nifty 50 for $50 or so. Worth trying. I always digiscoping with my canon S90...the larger cameras plus lens just that much more weight to carry around and other than fps, you won't gain anything... Jim

Went out yesterday after Ring Necked Duck locally (Saar river). Took the Canon EOS with me, along with bins and 80HD scope. Not much more kit than usual, but enough to make handling it all in the rain something of a chore. Ordered the Canon S95 last night .....

Oh, I dipped on the Ring Necked Duck .... and again today.

Regards

I finally got around to measuring it. With the UCA reversed for DSLR it's about 4 inches from center of plate to end of lens.
Neil.

Went out yesterday after Ring Necked Duck locally (Saar river). Took the Canon EOS with me, along with bins and 80HD scope. Not much more kit than usual, but enough to make handling it all in the rain something of a chore. Ordered the Canon S95 last night .....

Oh, I dipped on the Ring Necked Duck .... and again today.

Regards

I think you will find it more enjoyable.... Less weight n gear. Post shots when you have good enough weather ! Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back