• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica APO Televid 65 - best adapter? (1 Viewer)

Jhanlon

I've recently purchased one of these scopes and would like to know which adapters are best for use with a compact digital (mine is a Sony W300) and a DSLR (Canon 1000D)?

Until now all my digiscoping has been hand-held so I don't know too much about other adapters. Ideally I'm after something not too pricey which can be set-up quickly and easily.

Thanks in advance

The best adapter is the Leica Digiscoping-Adapter 5 - if you have the Leica D-Lux 5. I think this combination performs best among all digiscoping solutions I have seen so far. Don't know, if the adapter works also with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5. The Digitaladapter 3 is pretty good as well. It's a pretty universal adapter that works with a lot of cameras and also with most mobiles. AFAIK there is no DSLR-adapter available for the Televid. One could try to mount one at the Digitaladapter 3, though.

Steve

Last edited:
The best adapter is the Leica Digiscoping-Adapter 5 - if you have the Leica D-Lux 5. I think this combination performs best among all digiscoping solutions I have seen so far. Don't know, if the adapter works also with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5. The Digitaladapter 3 is pretty good as well. It's a pretty universal adapter that works with a lot of cameras and also with most mobiles. AFAIK there is no DSLR-adapter available for the Televid. One could try to mount one at the Digitaladapter 3, though.

Steve

Thanks Steve, forgot to check this for replies!
That sounded promising until I saw the price - £330!
Has anyone found a cheaper alternative or managed to make their own?

Thanks Steve, forgot to check this for replies!
That sounded promising until I saw the price - £330!
Has anyone found a cheaper alternative or managed to make their own?

Yes, this is certainly a lot of money. On the other hand, I have a friend who is a professional engineer. I showed him the adapter and told him the price. He said that this is quite a realistic price for such a piece of precision mechanics.

Steve

Yes, this is certainly a lot of money. On the other hand, I have a friend who is a professional engineer. I showed him the adapter and told him the price. He said that this is quite a realistic price for such a piece of precision mechanics.

Steve

Well I'm starting to feel a little smug. It appears that despite my usual lack of practicality when it comes to any form of diY I have succeeded in making a home made version. Only tried it once, just now from the bedroom window, but it works!!! It's the simplest possible adapter, design took minutes to make and cost me nothing.

Basically I found a plastic tube which was a spare part from a rotary washing line recently purchased. I had the idea when I saw that this tube fits very snugly onto the Leica eyepiece with the eye-cup pulled out. I cut a one-inch length with a hacksaw (easier than I thought, no vice needed) but found the other end was about 1mm too large for the lens of my Sony W300, the weight of which would pull the lens up and out of the tube. To fix this I fixed a 1mm thick adhesive pad to the inside of the tube.

So it's basically a one inch plastic tube with a sticky pad on the inside! Combined with a 2 second timer delay I was able to get rock solid images. The best bit is there is enough spare tube for a spare, should you lose it.

If anyone wants a photo let me know or if they want to know the model of washing line used!

regards
James

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back