• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kite Lynx HD 8x30 or Opticron Traveller BGA ED 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Fnagwaa

I'm thinking of getting a 2nd pair of bins for the car and as backup to my main pair. Which of these 2 gives the best image overall (I do wear glasses).

I am fully aware of the specs of both models so I'm looking for someone who has actually used both, preferably whilst wearing glasses.

Thanks in advance

I have briefly compared the Traveller ED 8x32, Linx 8x30 and their close family member, the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30. There are some points of difference in their colour, contrast, glare and engineering but in practical terms, you may well find the available eye relief is the deciding factor.

I wear rimless, close fitting glasses and it is quite unusual to find a modern binocular that has too little available ER, however the Kite Lynx is one. Even when pressing the binocular and glasses firmly against my face I couldn't see the full field of view. In spite of only listing 0.1mm more ER than the Lynx the Nikon worked fine for me, but with no room to spare. I suspect the true ER of the Traveller ED is closer to 16mm than the 19mm listed on Opticron's website, but nevertheless, I found it easiest of the three to use will glasses. Obviously we all differ in facial features, and choice of lenses and frame design, so I can't predict how they might work for you.

David

I only know the Traveller and the Nikon, not the Kite, but my experience echos David's. I wear medium-ish sized plastic frame glasses, and wrap around sunglasses. The Nikon has *just enough* eye relief for me with either pair of glasses and the Traveller has just a touch more, enough to make it a good bit easier to use. Unfortunately I had to return my Traveller as I had a less than stellar example but overall I think I would prefer it to the Nikon (which I own), and I plan on trying again to order a Traveller next time I'm back in the states.

They're basically the same binocular with small differences as spec'd by the manufacturers so really it's going to come down to availability and handling as to which one works for you.

I only have experience of the Traveller but I have no problem with the eye relief / eyecups and neither does my wife nor the two friends who tried it out yesterday at RSPB Old Moor reserve.

Lee

There's almost always an earlier thread here for the question in ones mind...awesome.

Searching for a 8x30/32 these two are still topping my wishlist (Kite will be the HD+). Might be able to try out the Opticron a bit, the Kite not (if not bought to return).

I plan to use them mainly as summer bins, for birding and dragonfly/damsel watching, and lighter travel. So looking for compacts and with quite a good fov and close focus, and affordable, so these two look good candidates. After having tried both a BN and BA Trinovid, I think I won't get used to the quirky focus feel, however much I liked the view through those...

Of course there's the old question; how would you compare them optically? Which has the bigger sweetspot, the flatter fov (it's calmer for me when panning faster, f.i. on dragonflies), the better resolution and constrast? Warmer (Kite) or more natural (Opticron) colour rendition is important where it affects brightness for the duller summer days, they won't see much twilight, and I can aesthetically admire both.

Secondly, viewing ease is important to me, certainly in high speed use when watching dragonflies eye placement must not be finnicky. I don't wear glasses, so the higher the eye relief doesn't always mean better viewing ease. The size of the eyecups matters too me more, because I've found smaller designs like on the Meostar 8x32 don't fit my facial structure while smaller ER like on the old trinovids don't bother me.
I read some with glasses have better results viewing through the Opticron than the Kite? How do those without glasses rate the eye placement of both these bins?

Thanks already for those willing to take the time to share their experiences and insights, all are welcome :)

Last edited:
Richard

I wear spectacles and although I haven't used the Kite I found the Opticron excellent for observing Aeshna, Sympetrum and Libellula species of dragons. Of course the latter two tend to perch very often, which helps, but Aeshnas are mostly seen flying so good fov, smooth and accurate focusing are essential.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back