Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

arkansas

Old Saturday 3rd April 2004, 23:09   #1
peachfront

arkansas

I will be visiting Arkansas soon, mainly the Delta and the Hot Springs/Ouachita area. There should be plenty of time for birding. In the Delta area I plan to visit Lake Chicot, about which I've heard good things. When I come back, I'll post a report. For now, here is a link to the Arkansas state website with an overview of the birding possibilities.

http://www.arkansas.com/outdoors/Bird-Watching/

I have purchased the book they recommend, A Birder's Guide to Arkansas by Mel White, and although it is dated 1995, it looks like it will be very useful. I'll let you know what happens.

Any Arkansas birders here, if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
Old Sunday 2nd May 2004, 20:36   #2
peachfront

OK, I'm back from my mid-April trip to southern Arkansas. Early May would be better for migrants but I got a respectable list:

http://peachfront.diaryland.com/arkbird04.html

Lots of dogwoods, wildflowers, and butterflies on West Mountain -- I am still kicking myself for forgetting my butterfly guide:

http://peachfront.diaryland.com/ark2butter.html

Maybe the cutest bird-related thing I saw was a White-Throated Sparrow bathing in the hot springs. I didn't know birds enjoyed hot water but this one was having a ball. The Mel White book is quite useful in giving you ideas of places to look for birds.

On Edit: For people who don't feel like clicking, to summarize -- I got 69 species with little trouble, highlights including Bald Eagle, Eastern Screech Owl, Scissor-Tailed Flycatcher, Black-Throated Green Warbler, Black-and-White Warbler, White-Breasted Nuthatch.

Last edited by peachfront : Sunday 2nd May 2004 at 20:43. Reason: added more information
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: