Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

growing sunflowers

Old Friday 27th May 2011, 10:39   #1
Nature__lover

growing sunflowers

Hi :)

I started about 13 Giant sunflower seeds off in pots a few weeks back, and have recently transplanted them to a bed in the garden. I noticed that there where a few spindly ones that were getting crowded by the strong ones (and they had a few brown leaves?), because I'd accidently planted them too close together as seeds. I had to pull the little ones out to leave the stronger ones room to grow.
I hope this was the right thing to do? (I actually feel a bit mean.. yes I'm a serious softy )
and another question- when do sunflower plants need staking? and how can I ensure they grow well? I've never grown sunflowers before.
Old Friday 27th May 2011, 17:01   #2
Mary

If you've not grown them before, do take care if you are an allergy sufferer- or anyone in the family. We grew them last year for the first time (admittedly right by a path so I constantly passed them), and I ended up with severe dermatitis, and am now allergic to quite a few other plants as well! Glovers and long sleeves for all gardening now!

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 27th May 2011, 19:48   #3
Nature__lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
If you've not grown them before, do take care if you are an allergy sufferer- or anyone in the family. We grew them last year for the first time (admittedly right by a path so I constantly passed them), and I ended up with severe dermatitis, and am now allergic to quite a few other plants as well! Glovers and long sleeves for all gardening now!
thanks for the tip, I will bear that in mind. I have a bit of hay fever but not sure about sunflowers in particular.
Old Tuesday 31st May 2011, 03:01   #4
Gary Polliard
songbird

My brother in law plants quite a large area for wildlife and he puts in many rows of sunflower for feed for the birds. He naturally does not stake them and they grow quite well. the birds love them in the late summer and fall.
Old Wednesday 8th June 2011, 10:52   #5
Kits
Social Media Editor
BF Supporter 2019

1. Yes, it was the right thing to do, to take out the weaker seedlings.

2. It depends on the variety of sunflower, but I have found they tend to need staking once they get to about 4-5 feet. You will notice that they are starting to get floppy and need help!

We have a sister site - Gardener's Forums which you may find helpful and interesting.

"Sail away from safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 8th June 2011, 13:45   #6
Monahawk

Where I live in Ireland it is nearly always breezy especially as I live on a hill. I grow a lot of sunflowers. The soil in my garden isn't brilliant in parts and is generally quite shallow. So I find staking these plants is a must otherwise they just get blown over. You will find some foliage becoming brown or scorched looking. This can be removed. Also sunflowers are prone to mildew especially in warm damp conditions.
That said they are a great addition to the wildlife garden.

Si.
Old Thursday 9th June 2011, 15:37   #7
Nature__lover

thanks for the replies, staked them today as they were keeling over and it's quite windy. they seem to be doing well!
Old Monday 28th November 2011, 10:51   #8
AndyK

I usually just transplant some the birds have planted for me into a more secluded spot!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: