Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Leica 8x32 BN

Old Sunday 10th March 2019, 11:36   #1
Mike F

Leica 8x32 BN

Hi everyone. I thought I'd just enquire here about some 8x32 BN's which are on eBay UK at the moment. I realise that in sharing this I might loose them to someone else, buts that's OK!

They are priced at £669 which I suspect is a little 'ambitious', but they do look superb. The price isn't too much of an issue, but I wouldn't want to pay way over the odds - there's lots of these around. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	689162  Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600-1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	689163  Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600-2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	689164  Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600-3.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	689165  
Old Sunday 10th March 2019, 13:00   #2
ceasar

Yeah! When I wanted to get one to match my new 7x42 Trinovid BN back in 2004 when they were discontinued I couldn't find any. Now that I don't need one or want one at any price they are starting to show up for sale.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 10th March 2019, 13:01   #3
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

Tough to find a late serial # in that shape these days, the price is for a collector (ambitious yes), one who is looking for a pristine sample. At $870.00 one could find a used BA sample for a few hundred less, or a new Nikon HG 8X30.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 10th March 2019, 13:42   #4
PYRTLE

I too feel this is at the top end of asking even if for a collector. There was/is a BA that was advertised on here for around £300 though well used. Depends how much you want one, I would go for £500 top.
Old Sunday 10th March 2019, 16:10   #5
Old Hat

Adorama has an 8x32 BN for $509 USD listed as "Good" condition.
Old Sunday 10th March 2019, 18:40   #6
14Goudvink

The little red Leica seal on the right strap lug suggests these have (recently?) been serviced by Leica, so the focus wheel action should be ok. The focus wheel can be an issue with these Trinovids.

George
Old Monday 11th March 2019, 01:24   #7
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Hey Mike,
I looks pretty good to me! I always look at the brand and model lettering to check for wear. That one sure looks nice! Includes most of the original stuff too. The word "mint" sure makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over!

There are a couple more on eBay from the UK....both from aceopticsbath. They have a couple in "excellent ++" condition. They both LOOK good. The one for 599 GBP looks really nice to me.

Some folks are happy with a binocular that may show a little more wear and tear...I'm just not that person in most cases. So, I don't mind paying a little more for a little nicer specimen. In a few years of use, it will never matter.

Although I like and appreciate the newest developments in binocular, I sure enjoy using and appreciate some of the older models that are still excellent binoculars today, ie the Swarovski SLCs, Zeiss FLs, and the Trinovids. Quality never goes out of style.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 11th March 2019, 06:54   #8
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

An example this clean is unusual.
I’d look at these as “new, old stock” and are a new pair of bins of this quality worth that money.
For me it is an easy yes.

These will make you happy.

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 11th March 2019, 07:09   #9
F88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Hi everyone. I thought I'd just enquire here about some 8x32 BN's which are on eBay UK at the moment. I realise that in sharing this I might loose them to someone else, buts that's OK!

They are priced at £669 which I suspect is a little 'ambitious', but they do look superb. The price isn't too much of an issue, but I wouldn't want to pay way over the odds - there's lots of these around. Any thoughts?
This man has impeccable taste in binoculars.
Go on and buy them Mike, I'll live vicariously through you. Yes, I have a pair of EDG 8x32 but what a soulless pair of binoculars they are by comparison.
Old Monday 11th March 2019, 07:11   #10
F88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Conville View Post
An example this clean is unusual.
I’d look at these as “new, old stock” and are a new pair of bins of this quality worth that money.
For me it is an easy yes.

These will make you happy.
Yes indeed.
Old Monday 11th March 2019, 08:31   #11
Mike F

Thanks for your encouragement guys! (I think......)

What do you make of the mark in the rubber armouring near and above the RH objective that can be seen in the 4th picture above? Is this mark some kind of grease mark that will clean off, or is it an irregularity of some sort in the actual rubber?

I'm interested in these, and although I will use them (lightly - I won't be clambering over rocks with them dangling around my neck!) I am attracted by their condition and the fact that they come with all of the original boxes and paperwork. I think Leica bins like these will only ever increase in value if well looked after. However, I'm a bit concerned about paying top €£$ if they have a material flaw.

Opinions invited!
Old Monday 11th March 2019, 11:22   #12
F88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Thanks for your encouragement guys! (I think......)

What do you make of the mark in the rubber armouring near and above the RH objective that can be seen in the 4th picture above? Is this mark some kind of grease mark that will clean off, or is it an irregularity of some sort in the actual rubber?

I'm interested in these, and although I will use them (lightly - I won't be clambering over rocks with them dangling around my neck!) I am attracted by their condition and the fact that they come with all of the original boxes and paperwork. I think Leica bins like these will only ever increase in value if well looked after. However, I'm a bit concerned about paying top €£$ if they have a material flaw.

Opinions invited!
This place is full of enablers.
To me it looks like what may be a slight dare I say imperfection in the rubber moulding. I'm not sure if this is the description I wish to convey but I've seen similar textures in moulded objects before. It also appears that whatever it is has been enhanced in the picture by the sheen and gloss of the textured rubber moulding so perhaps less profound in the flesh.
I've bought brand new gear, infact all my binoculars were bought brand new, that have various flaws. Some not just on the rubber moulding for example like tiny air bubbles and the like in glass and for that matter in camera lenses also.
I go over my optics with a torch and I can honestly say that I can pick varying flaws in all my binoculars... EDG, UV HD+, Trinovid, Zeiss Pocket. Now are any of these flaws show stoppers? No, but I would prefer perfection of course. All function fine and provide great views.
In all reality these binoculars could be in as good or better order than say a brand new model straight off the shelf. There's always risks of course.
Price wise these are dear but to put it into perspective by the time I paid tax on these I'd be looking at a similar or perhaps slightly more expensive binocular than a new Trinovid HD 8x32 and I can tell you I'd rather the BN.

Last edited by F88 : Monday 11th March 2019 at 11:25.
Old Monday 11th March 2019, 13:56   #13
Mark Batten

Decent bins. Overpriced.
Old Monday 11th March 2019, 20:14   #14
F88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Batten View Post
Decent bins. Overpriced.
I can't despute that. All my binoculars are overpriced in my opinion.
Old Tuesday 12th March 2019, 08:06   #15
Mike F

So..... I asked the seller if he could provide more pictures of the mark in the rubber near the RH objective, which he has. He also confirmed that it has the Leica red dot seal because it has just been serviced and that Leica replaced the armouring as part of the service.

It looks to me as though the seller has wiped some grease on the whole of the RH objective part of the bin to make the appearance more even. It now looks 'wet' and shiny (although still somewhat uneven) as opposed to the same place on the LH which looks uniformly matt black.

To be honest, the only reason that I would have considered paying so much for these is if they were effectively 'as new'. I would have used them myself (I'm not a collector), but I'm not interested in paying top money for something that has seen enough use to warrant the need for a full service and is now apparently somewhat less that perfect (although I agree with F88 that if you look closely enough you can find flaws in anything!).

Actually, I agree with Chuck that the ones priced at £599 are perhaps the most attractive on eBay UK at the moment. I contacted that seller as well and asked why there was a difference in price between the two 8x32 BN's that they have, given that the description of the condition is the same, and the they look virtually identical. They replied:- 'The simple answer is that we now have 2 of these 8x32 BN binoculars so we priced one lower to hopefully sell it quicker.'

eBay seems to be awash with BA's and BN's of all different flavours at the moment. Certainly there's no shortage of choice and no need to pay top end money for something less than perfect. I think I'll pass.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600-1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	689317  Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600-2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	689318  Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600-3.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	689319  Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	689320  
Old Tuesday 12th March 2019, 09:17   #16
Elmer Fudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Goudvink View Post
The little red Leica seal on the right strap lug suggests these have (recently?) been serviced by Leica, so the focus wheel action should be ok. The focus wheel can be an issue with these Trinovids.

George
What kind of issues do you mean? Does it only concern the 8x32 BN?
Old Tuesday 12th March 2019, 11:25   #17
MandoBear

Ace Optics of Bath are an established and reputable seller. The kind of traditional UK camera and optics seller - quite a small shop, stuffed full of gear, stockist for Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss and others. Knowledgeable and very helpful staff. I visited there last year when I was considering a pair of Swarovski ELs - visiting family in bath. When I was trying them, the guy in the shop pointed out the peregrine falcon that was perched on te spire of the church at the end of the street - they have a nest on Bath Abbey neaby, and there are plenty of pigeons to feed on. I wouldn't have any hesitation in buying from them.
Old Tuesday 12th March 2019, 11:43   #18
Mike F

MandoBear, the bins are not from Ace Optics. The very similar ones priced £599 & £629 are, but the ones in question here that include all the original boxes and paperwork are not.

Or perhaps you knew that? Anyway, I thought I would make it clear , and thanks for the info about Ace Optics - good to know!

Last edited by Mike F : Tuesday 12th March 2019 at 13:46.
Old Wednesday 13th March 2019, 19:06   #19
14Goudvink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd View Post
What kind of issues do you mean? Does it only concern the 8x32 BN?
Focussers on the BA, BN, BR mid- and full size bins have a reputation for not being the smoothest in the business. They can have some play when changing directions, a 'lag' before they engage or uneven movement across the focus range. If you seach on Birdforum you'll find a number of old threads addressing Leica focusser problems.

I had a 8x32 BA that developed this problem, a 8x32 BR, a 7x42 BR and now a 8x32 HD that is on the verge of needing service. These issues seem to be solved with the HD or HD+ range.

George
Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 18:28   #20
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Goudvink View Post
Focussers on the BA, BN, BR mid- and full size bins have a reputation for not being the smoothest in the business. They can have some play when changing directions, a 'lag' before they engage or uneven movement across the focus range. If you seach on Birdforum you'll find a number of old threads addressing Leica focusser problems.

I had a 8x32 BA that developed this problem, a 8x32 BR, a 7x42 BR and now a 8x32 HD that is on the verge of needing service. These issues seem to be solved with the HD or HD+ range.

George
Not to discount your experience George, but I have/had two BAs, two BNs, and three BRs and never had a problem with any of them regarding focusers.
No problem initially nor developed over time.

As an aside, it's always been a mystery to me when people have written such things about Leica focusers. Either I have incredible luck regarding this or I just can't realize there is a problem.

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 20:13   #21
14Goudvink

Good to hear yours are fine, Kevin. I gues sample variation does exist...

Leica customer service has always been very helpful in solving the issues I experienced.

George
Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 21:59   #22
NDhunter

Kevin:

I agree about Leica, it seems only complainers reply much of the time, and the focusers for
99% of users will be just fine.

Just like the recent post about waterproofing, or lack of. We have someone who just proclaim problems
with Leica without any first hand experience. That is poor behavior, not sure why it happens, but it does.

Jerry
Old Tuesday 2nd April 2019, 16:48   #23
Upland

Could anyone give a quick summary of the difference between the BA, BN and BR? Thanks
Old Tuesday 2nd April 2019, 17:13   #24
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upland View Post
Could anyone give a quick summary of the difference between the BA, BN and BR? Thanks
Leica fans will give you more info but my understanding is:

BA 8x32 close focus 3.25 metres
BN 8x32 close focus 2.30 metres
BR 8x32 close focus 2.20 metres

The first two look indentical and are Trinovids but the last one is an Ultravid. Some folks have commented that apart from the close focus and external appearance these are very similar optically but I think the BR is lighter than the two Trinnies.

Lee
Old Tuesday 2nd April 2019, 17:17   #25
Bubbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Batten View Post
Decent bins. Overpriced.
Quite. I think they are trying it on!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: