Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birdy Native plants for Pacific Northwest

Old Tuesday 3rd April 2012, 04:00   #1
carapace

Birdy Native plants for Pacific Northwest

Looking for suggestions for bird attracting plants to replace big leaf maples in a ravine in the pacific northwest of the US. This is a wild area which contains huckleberry and salmonberry already but probably not enough of each. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. We will probably plant more maples (our neighbors cut these down without our permission) as we had a Western Screech Owl and we'd like to see him again.
Old Sunday 15th April 2012, 04:10   #2
DownyWP

If it's a large area you could make a frame of large evergreen and deciduous trees, such as Douglas Firs, Western Hemlock and of course your Bigleaf Maples. I would try to include species that form dense thickets such as Douglas Hawthorne and Native roses to protect the little wildlife. How about Red Osier Dogwood, Twinberry, Elderberry, Serviceberries and Snowberries for fall and winter food. In my small lot I have the former mentioned, plus 5 Vine Maples, 3 birch, 2 Red alder, 3 full grown Japanese Maples(yeah, I know, not native but they were already there when we moved in) 2 Sub Alpine Firs and our neighbor in the back has the full grown Douglas Firs to form sort of a canopy. So that pretty much covers food and shelter, the other thing you need is to provide water for the birds and wildlife. Good luck! Ruth
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: