• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (1 Viewer)

Correct Wari, but even though I'm an old English birder I use Yellowhammer (unlike a certain garden lister8-P).

According to my most treasured reference book... the “Observers book of Birds”, Yellow Bunting and Yellow Hammer were both equally acceptable as names. ;)

Days after the bulk of the snow has disappeared, a good spring movement today, a couple of hundred or so Bean Geese over, about 20 Cranes, flocks of Whooper Swans and a lone Mute Swan, assorted ducks including Goosander and Goldeneye, a couple of Cormorants, flocks of Starlings, a few Chaffinch, et al.

Goosander and Cormorant welcome, as I failed to see either on my plot last year.

28. Cormorant
29. Mute Swan
30. Bean Goose
31. Goosander
32. Goldeneye
33. Lapwing
34. Starling
35. Chaffinch

Also first Common Toad lumbering towards still frozen water and, not on my land, my first butterfly of the year in Lithuania - a Small Tortoiseshell, my earliest ever.

Last edited:
Creeping towards the half century here, despite the almost horizontal snow and soft hail showers this morning, a very handsome

47 Black Kite

just drifted past the house and down the valley, hopefully to find somewhere more sheltered. It must be regretting its decision to cross the Med and wander up here so early, last year's first one here was 6 April and at our old place 17 March was the earliest in our ten years there.

Creeping towards the half century here, despite the almost horizontal snow and soft hail showers this morning.

Snow here again today, but definitely spring in the air, lots of swans over, more incoming migrants, including only my fourth ever Greylag Geese (a pair) on my land.

In hot persuit of you Mr Prior, 14 additions in last couple of days

36. Greylag Goose
37. Grey Heron.
38. Herring Gull.
39. Stock Dove.
40. Blackbird.
41. Siskin.

It feels like I am finally up and running after an enjoyable migration day today!

Three additions, and another Belted Kingfisher today!

42. Killdeer (f) (year bird for me)
43. Great Blue Heron (f)
44. Herring Gull (f)

Herring Gull seems to have proven tricky, but today's chocolate-brown hulk left little doubt.

Migration highlights included over 900 gulls in 49 minutes (18/minute!), a few hundred blackbirds, some crows (silent but likely Fish), and some Snow Geese.

Snow here again today, but definitely spring in the air, lots of swans over, more incoming migrants, including only my fourth ever Greylag Geese (a pair) on my land.

In hot persuit of you Mr Prior, 14 additions in last couple of days

36. Greylag Goose
37. Grey Heron.
38. Herring Gull.
39. Stock Dove.
40. Blackbird.
41. Siskin.

Aargh, last year I stayed ahead of you until mid-April Jos, that looks unlikely this year:eek!:

A real jaw dropper at 10.47am, a flyover garden life 1st....a European Shag (filmed) size and continuous wing beats said all! no.57.

A real jaw dropper at 10.47am, a flyover garden life 1st....a European Shag (filmed) size and continuous wing beats said all! no.57.

Crikey, that'll be a description species there Ken I imagine?
Snowing steadily here again but the dawn chorus gradually adding more members, this morning I could hear the nearby song of a male

48 Blue-dykie

to give it its Scots diminutive.Answers on a post card please;) A good three weeks earlier than last year's first.

Snowing steadily here again but the dawn chorus gradually adding more members, this morning I could hear the nearby song of a male

48 Blue-dykie

to give it its Scots diminutive.Answers on a post card please;) A good three weeks earlier than last year's first.

Don't do descriptions anymore Richard....owing to a number of good solid birds being rejected, by a ''mind set'' that is diametrically opposite to mine!

Anyway have not been short of ''Blue-dykies'' at this end, however Spadgers or Sprows have been conspicuous (as ever) by their absence. ;)

Don't do descriptions anymore Richard....owing to a number of good solid birds being rejected, by a ''mind set'' that is diametrically opposite to mine!

Anyway have not been short of ''Blue-dykies'' at this end, however Spadgers or Sprows have been conspicuous (as ever) by their absence. ;)

Well, as long as "you're not bitter", as the Guinness ad says (other stouts are of course available ahem)B :). Yes, Dunnock it was, a cigar coming your way:t:

48 Blue-dykie

Blue Rock Thrush?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back