Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special ‚Äď Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Garden/Yard List 2019

Old Thursday 25th April 2019, 10:08   #426
KenM

Out of the “wall to wall grey” past the window seemingly holding something in it’s bill, flew no.65 only the 3rd time in 36 years. Kingfisher!...not even on my radar as a possibility even with the river behind. :)
Old Thursday 25th April 2019, 13:47   #427
jasperpatch
Amy, Brit in Quebec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
Out of the ďwall to wall greyĒ past the window seemingly holding something in itís bill, flew no.65 only the 3rd time in 36 years. Kingfisher!...not even on my radar as a possibility even with the river behind. :)
Ooh, fabulous! I had momentary glimpses a couple of times whilst in the UK, always a joy - but as a garden bird? Fab!
Old Thursday 25th April 2019, 13:52   #428
jasperpatch
Amy, Brit in Quebec.

Having left Canada on April 2nd, with a year garden list of 20, I managed to clock up 27 species in Mum and Dad's garden (Norfolk, UK) in mornings/evenings around our explorations elsewhere! Ho hum.

Back home again now, and picking up the new spring arrivals slowly but surely. The chickadees took a couple of days to refind the feeders, but they don't seem to be holding a grudge now.

21. Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker
22. Winter Wren (Heard)
23. Eastern Pheobe (checking out their regular nest spots on the house)
24. Ruby-Crowned Kinglet
25. Dark-eyed Junco - this was my first bird of the year in 2018. Crazy it took until late April to see one in the garden this year!
Old Thursday 25th April 2019, 15:30   #429
KenM

Jasper Hi, you mentioning Ruby-crowned Kinglet reminded me of my first encounters with the species on my first visit across the pond. First impressions were of a dull Goldcrest, until one day I came across one with itís back to me...and the crown was ďfull-onĒ...not unlike the car in fronts brake light coming on in the rain, such intensity.
Old Thursday 25th April 2019, 18:11   #430
jasperpatch
Amy, Brit in Quebec.

Quote:
Jasper Hi, you mentioning Ruby-crowned Kinglet reminded me of my first encounters with the species on my first visit across the pond. First impressions were of a dull Goldcrest, until one day I came across one with itís back to me...and the crown was ďfull-onĒ...not unlike the car in fronts brake light coming on in the rain, such intensity.
A great description Ken! Yes, they are usually the duller bird, and being more vocal (they have a recognizable song which the gold-crowned kinglet doesn't seem to), they are easier to find too. But when you do get the flash of red, it really is cardinal bright. I managed to get a poor shot this morning, but I think it may be the first time I've managed to catch the red at all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flash of ruby.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	693210  
Old Thursday 25th April 2019, 18:48   #431
KenM

A good catch Jasper, regarding ''Full-on'' crests, our Firecrest is usually yellow crown striped, and sometimes has an orange tint, however I once shot a bird that really lived up to it's name.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A DEF.MALE FCRST.No.1. crop.2 for comp..jpg
Views:	18
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	693212  
Old Friday 26th April 2019, 07:45   #432
Toby Tyke

72= Barn owl.
Fly over as I was putting the car away last night.
Got a pair nesting 400yds away but can be really difficult to pick up until they start feeding the young.
Old Friday 26th April 2019, 09:41   #433
KenM

With no two years being the same, a single Sand Martin South this am...before House Martin! no.66.
Old Friday 26th April 2019, 17:37   #434
jasperpatch
Amy, Brit in Quebec.

Quote:
A good catch Jasper, regarding ''Full-on'' crests, our Firecrest is usually yellow crown striped, and sometimes has an orange tint, however I once shot a bird that really lived up to it's name.
Ah, the one that got away this UK trip. We found a lot of goldcrests, and I momentarily thought I'd found a fire too, but it disappeared and I didn't get a good enough view to be certain. I think I've only ever seen one!
Old Friday 26th April 2019, 17:41   #435
jasperpatch
Amy, Brit in Quebec.

Rainy day, and I'm sat at an upstairs window totting up flyovers:
26. Common Grackle
27. Common Loon
28. Mallard
29. Common Merganser
30. Barn Swallow
31. Tree Swallow
32. Northern Flicker
33. Golden Crowned Kinglet.
Old Saturday 27th April 2019, 10:37   #436
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Time to come clean, I started to worry about my heard- only Bonelliís Warbler the next day when I heard and then saw one of the local Blue Tits doing the Bonelliís- style trill but more extended. So on Thursday I checked a couple of sites where the Warbler breeds, the calls there confirmed Iíd been a bit stringy!!Maybe Iíll get one in the post-breeding period.....
So todayís addition doesnít advance my total:

61 Common Redstart

A female briefly in the plum tree this morning, havenít heard any singing yet though.
Old Saturday 27th April 2019, 11:15   #437
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
Time to come clean
......always thought you were a bit grubby Richard.
Old Saturday 27th April 2019, 13:07   #438
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
......always thought you were a bit grubby Richard.
!!! Pure as the driven slush I am.
As a reward for my honesty over the Bonelli's No. 62 lumbered up the valley early afternoon, I'd seen this one twice recently within a mile of home and I even snatched a brief 'record shot' (as I believe it's called) to add to my album of, er, quality Bird Photos from the House/Garden

62 Grey Heron

Although the river is clearly audible from home (especially in Spring when the snow is melting) it is not visible, so the chance of seeing Dipper and Grey Wagtail in their nesting habitat is zero. I live in hope of one day seeing another riverside breeder though, last year our neighbour described seeing three birds flying down the valley, " mostly grey with some white in the wings and necks sticking out like small geese". Goosander fits the bill I reckon.........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Grey Heron 27.4.19.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	486.7 KB
ID:	693341  
Old Saturday 27th April 2019, 16:59   #439
KenM

There was I bemoaning the racing certainty that it was only a matter of time before Richard edges ahead and pulls away into the nineties, staring into the varying grey cloud types now opening up with patches of blue...and along came no.67....Falco subbuteo, will make hay as the sun shines.
Old Saturday 27th April 2019, 18:46   #440
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
There was I bemoaning the racing certainty that it was only a matter of time before Richard edges ahead and pulls away into the nineties, staring into the varying grey cloud types now opening up with patches of blue...and along came no.67....Falco subbuteo, will make hay as the sun shines.
You go ahead and make hay Ken, we're not yet at that stage here as you can see from yesterday morning's view from the kitchen window! Today's two new birds make it a paltry 7 for April so far , last April added 16 (mind you, 2017 saw only 5 additions in April so all this reminds us of the wonderful unpredictability of birding).
Anyway, I'm still on cloud nine as my beloved Stockport County won the National League North today and go up to the fifth-tier National League, the first thing they've won since 1967 (Fourth Div champions,and I was at the match when they won it!) (:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	No haymaking here.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	498.7 KB
ID:	693374  
Old Saturday 27th April 2019, 19:43   #441
Toby Tyke

Anyway, I'm still on cloud nine as my beloved Stockport County won the National League North today and go up to the fifth-tier National League, the first thing they've won since 1967 (Fourth Div champions,and I was at the match when they won it!) (:[/quote]

Understand your joy.
Was at Oakwell this afternoon watching the reds take another massive step towards promotion.
Old Sunday 28th April 2019, 08:54   #442
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Understand your joy.
Was at Oakwell this afternoon watching the reds take another massive step towards promotion.[/quote]

Good stuff Toby, my Uncle and Auntie lived next to the ground on Grove Street, only garden birds there when I was a lad were the Barnsley subspecies of House Sparrow, Passer domesticus sootycus, the darkest sparrows I ever saw! Enjoy the birding in Mallorca
Old Monday 29th April 2019, 16:08   #443
KenM

After a lot of grey sky watching today, the cloud layer broke up c4pm, resulting in 3 House Martin at 4.15pm heading SE, then a single Swift heading North at 16.35pm. no’s. 68 and 69 respectively.
Old Thursday 2nd May 2019, 10:21   #444
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

May 2nd.

63. Swift - heard only unfortunately, very high
64. Hobby - two together circled slowly east not much above rooftop height. Superb.

Steve
Old Thursday 2nd May 2019, 11:19   #445
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
May 2nd.

63. Swift - heard only unfortunately, very high
64. Hobby - two together circled slowly east not much above rooftop height. Superb.

Steve
Let's hope for their sakes that the Swifts spotted the Hobbies too Steve.
After the quiet April the new month has kicked off nicely. We are dog-minding for the next week so I am obliged to go out walking even on an unpleasant cold showery day like today, this morning's walk produced a cracking male Pied Flycatcher, a species I usually don't see here until August when the southbound birds stop off. I can see the trees it was in from the house, but despite desperate 'scoping I haven't managed to see it since getting back home. Still, early this morning I heard a Cuckoo, 23 days earlier than last year and 6 weeks earlier than the first one in 2017. A second addition to the Garden Year list was one I saw back on 21 April within 400m of the house, so about time it paid a visit, perched in the cherry tree (see photo). The House Martins are back on the village Post Office but haven't wandered up here yet, won't be long hopefully...

63 Common Cuckoo
64 Tree Pipit
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pipit des Arbres 2.5.19.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	693873  
Old Thursday 2nd May 2019, 19:05   #446
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Back in business after a jaunt out, and a cracking last day of April, update soon...

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 3rd May 2019, 12:17   #447
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Stratford View Post
Back in business after a jaunt out, and a cracking last day of April, update soon...
Well before you make us green with envy Iíll get my retaliation in first.

65 Pied Flycatcher

Not the smart male I saw up the road yesterday but a female, to see two in Spring up here is unusual but Iím not complaining!
A handsome male Common Redstart and a Firecrest added some extra colour on another rainy morning.
Old Friday 3rd May 2019, 18:39   #448
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
Time to come clean, I started to worry about my heard- only Bonelliís Warbler the next day when I heard and then saw one of the local Blue Tits doing the Bonelliís- style trill but more extended. So on Thursday I checked a couple of sites where the Warbler breeds, the calls there confirmed Iíd been a bit stringy!!Maybe Iíll get one in the post-breeding period.....
So todayís addition doesnít advance my total:

61 Common Redstart

A female briefly in the plum tree this morning, havenít heard any singing yet though.
Same here - I'll taking Yellow Wagtail off my list - as I have since heard one of the local House Sparrows doing an uncannily accurate rendition of one several times since!

As for Hobbies and Swifts - pah! 9 degrees today - no chance!
Old Friday 3rd May 2019, 19:28   #449
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

1 May.

In both the last couple of springs, a hollow has filled with water in the meadow for some reason, holding water right through to end of May/June ...and amazing it has been. However, even by its pretty superb standards, 1 May was good - not only a male Shoveler (third record for my land) and a couple of Teal, but also jam-packed with waders! An unbelievable 61 Wood Sandpipers (only seen these in two springs before), plus one Redshank, two Snipe, several Green Sandpipers and a bunch of Lapwings!

Also male Montagu's Harrier over, a couple of Great White Egrets, first Cuckoo, Whinchats, Common Whitethroats, Lesser Whitethroats and Pied Flycatcher back on territory!

80. Shoveler.
81. Wood Sandpiper
82. Common Redshank
83. Cuckoo.
84. Whinchat.
85. Common Whitethroat
86. Lesser Whitethroat
87. Pied Flycatcher

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 4th May 2019, 07:22   #450
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Wow! Still need 4 of those for the year in UK.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: