Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Side view nest box

Old Wednesday 3rd April 2019, 17:42   #1
Jiroma

Side view nest box

Hi All, has anyone had issues with side view nest boxes, for the 2nd year in a row Ive had bluetits bring in loads of material and practically fill the box with material all the way up the slope leading to the camera. I cant believe she would go to such lengths and then just abandon her work. Any ideas

Jiroma
Old Wednesday 3rd April 2019, 18:29   #2
PYRTLE

Very strange. Wont have anything to do with the location of the hole whether at the front or side, but obviously something not to their liking. It's still early in the breeding season, how do you know the nest is abandoned? Any form of disturbance is a cause not to proceed with egg laying but you've a camera to watch the scene. No other potential visitors I presume. Was the nest lined with feathers?
Old Thursday 4th April 2019, 17:48   #3
Jiroma

Thanks for the reply....I may have spoken too soon....and it looks as if she may be building the cup under the camera so I'll have to go to the box at some point and tilt the camera to a point where I can see whats going on. Obviously I'll wait till shes out.

Jiroma
Old Thursday 4th April 2019, 17:58   #4
PYRTLE

Good to hear that all is not lost. Obviously there will be a risk if and when you adjust the camera, of the pair deserting if they feel the nest has been discovered or visited.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: