• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help id birds:I saw at 2 birds at bird feeder (1 Viewer)

Abbygirl

Help id birds:I saw 2 birds at bird feeder

This morning I saw 2 birds that looked exactly the same at the bird feeder. They were both a brown color. No black bib on either of them. So I know they were not the House Sparrow's.

Description I got
Size: about 5" maybe since they were able to eat at the bird feeder.
On the Belly They were a light brownish color.
The Head and Body was a brown color
The Wings brown with white stripes

They kinda remind me of Bushtit's but I know they are gray and these birds are brown so I wasn't sure exactly but that's what they reminded me of.

Hope this helps. Sorry i can't give you more information.

Oh_what_a_sight said:
Dunnock (bush sparrow)
or
chaffinch
Dont no wether u get them in America?!?!?!?!?
:)

Dunnocks and Chaffinches are Eurasian species. Might I suggest a female Brown-headed Cowbird? Maybe a (Oregon or Slate-colored sub-species) Dark-eyed Junco? Check the gallery for pics.

I looked up an Photo of a Dunnock Bird and it looked a lot like that bird but thinner and shorter. Just to give you more of an idea of what the bird looks like. And the bird was not a chaffinch. Thanks so much for helping Out. I hope we can can figure this out, thanks a bunch!! JOyce

Dunnocks and Chaffinches are Eurasian species. Might I suggest a female Brown-headed Cowbird? Maybe a (Oregon or Slate-colored sub-species) Dark-eyed Junco? Check the gallery for pics.

Alex, I looked up these birds accept for the slate colored and i'm not sure what those are but the birds I saw looked exactly like the female birds of the brown headed cowbirds. And I didn't see a male bird of them. Unless it was a completly different type all together. I'm not sure. but that is what i think i saw is a brown headed cowbird. Maybe they were just the juviniles of the parents and maybe that is why they were just 2 females and not a male around, was my thinking.

Any other thoughts, anyone?

Last edited:
We use to get House sparrows all the time so i'd recognize what those look like. So I know that those are not House sparrows. Thanks for the suggestion though Graham!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back