• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blyth's Reed Warblers et al, summer ringing '06 (1 Viewer)

I started my Barn Swallow ringing season yesterday evening. There was 6 chicks in the first brood. Also I catched the parents and both of them were ringed in earlier years, male ringed 2 or 3 years ago and female ringed in last year (2005). I ringed one River Warbler too.
Here some pics from yesterday...

Last edited:
I ringed 4 birds in last night:
3 Blyth's Reed Warblers (total sum 48 now) and 1 Grasshopper Warbler

Last edited:
I checked two Barn Swallow's breeding sites in yesterday evening and I ringed totally 4 broods, where were totally (3+6+6+6) 21chicks. I catched and ringed also 1 male and 1 female. In addition to I controlled 3 male and 2 female Barn Swallows, which I have ringed earlier years.
I controlled also one my ringed Blyth's Reed Warbler in late evening, which was changed the singing place.I have to check where and when I ringed that individual in this year.

Total ringing sum now:
Blyth's Reed Warbler 48
Marsh Warbler 5
River Warbler 3
Grasshopper Warbler 2
Sedge Warbler 2
Pied Flycatcher 8
Barn Swallow 29

= 97

and controlled:
Pied Flycatcher 1
Barn Swallow 7

= 8

I have ringed in 3 days since last posting. I have ringed 43 Barn Swallow's chicks, 8 adults and controlled 3 adults.

Last edited:
I have spent few hours in ringing Barn Swallows since last posting during two days. I have ringed 42 chicks and 17 adults and controlled 5 adults in that time. I have to continue my ringing project today and tomorrow too. Few shot's from the ringing trip,...

Last edited:
hannu said:
I have spent few hours in ringing Barn Swallows since last posting during two days. I have ringed 42 chicks and 17 adults and controlled 5 adults in that time. I have to continue my ringing project today and tomorrow too. Few shot's from the ringing trip,...

For the first thumbnail I dd go for Omecestus viridulus
(The good side of having no birds is the available time one has to put on other things)

gerdwichers8 said:
For the first thumbnail I dd go for Omecestus viridulus
(The good side of having no birds is the available time one has to put on other things)

Thanx for the grassghopper id !

This male bird, which I ringed last year, is the record bird:
6tf 138,0 mm (left, record), 137,0 (right), fork 91,1 (left, record), 90,2 (right),

Last edited:
I met also one male, which has a hole in the lower mandible. The bill was damaged ! See first pic. As you already know, Barn Swallows are usually white belly in local population, but sometimes I met a slightly orange coloration in the belly... see 2nd pic.

Last edited:
gerdwichers8 said:
How was its fat of the one on the first?

Zero, as it's usually in breeding birds. Birds start to collect fat (reserve nutrition) after breeding season before migration..

I expected it to be zero (usual), but condition might have been more terrible for its handicap in keeping a lot of insects at once?

such as minus 0 :gn:

Last edited:
gerdwichers8 said:
I expected it to be zero (usual), but condition might have been more terrible for its handicap in keeping a lot of insects at once?

Female has always zero, because they have incubation patch and fat will possibly trouble in brooding. I have not looked so carefully what is the fat situation in males during the breeding time, but usually it is zero.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back