Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Trip to Atlanta Georgia

Old Wednesday 31st January 2007, 06:54   #1
John Gibson2

Trip to Atlanta Georgia

I'm planning to visit my son in Atlanta, Georgia during March. I'd like to do some birding and see some wildlife and beautiful counryside in the region during the day while he's working. Any suggestions?
Regards,
John

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 31st January 2007, 15:49   #2
Doug Greenberg

The E.L. Huie Land Application Facility and nearby Newman Wetlands Center is a good birding destination located just to the south of Atlanta (near Jonesboro, "Gone with the Wind" country), a favorite of local birders. In March there would still be some winter-type ducks, and there would also be some shorebirds, swallows, and bluebirds in this area. Check this out:

http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...lid=XFA039-015

Also, the Chattahoochee River National Recreation area is a nice spot for nature photography, including bird photography.

http://www.atlantaaudubon.org/aaswww...ites.htm#crnra

At the Nature Center there are feeders, and you can get photos of the birds as they come and go (i.e., without necessarily having to include the feeders themselves in the photos)

http://ngeorgia.com/attractions/chat...urecenter.html

If you check out the Atlanta Audubon Society's web site they have some other good recommendations for birding spots in the area.

http://www.atlantaaudubon.org/

If you have more time and mobility, a trip north into the mountains might be interesting and you'll see some pretty country, although in March it might not be that great for birds.

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 1st February 2007, 06:02   #3
John Gibson2

Atlanta Georgia

Hi Doug,
Thanks for all the information. It looks to be a really good area with lots of diverse habitats, scenery and wildlife. The details are just what I was looking for. I appreciate the time you spent putting the info together.
Best regards,
John

Old Thursday 1st February 2007, 21:49   #4
hampers
Hampers

Non birding but Martin Luther King Memorial is execellent. Don't walk there though, dodgy area.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 2nd February 2007, 05:52   #5
John Gibson2

Good advice. Thanks.
John

Old Thursday 14th June 2007, 15:11   #6
breffni

Any tips for a business trip to atlanta where I'll have a few hours escape here and there - ideally places accessible for (reasonable) taxi fare inside metro atlanta? (leaving on sunday)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: