Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

An early reminder......

Old Tuesday 24th July 2007, 09:37   #1
Ruth Daniel

An early reminder......

Hi all,
I've just been brousing through the Radio Times whilst having my morning coffee and noticed that on Friday at 9pm on BBC 2 there is a program all about the life and work of Sir Peter Scott entitled a "Passion for Nature".
We've seen it before and thoroughly enjoyed it but thought I'd post anyway just in case any of you haven't???
Best wishes,
Old Tuesday 24th July 2007, 09:57   #2
pie

Hi Ruth,
Thanks for the reminder, this programme is definitely worth a second view. It's one of those programmes worth recording & keeping to watch when you cant get out & feel like indulging yourself in a birding pick-me-up.

He was a truly incredible inspirational man with a wonderful family who supported him & continue his work today.

Thumbs up from me, thanks Ruth

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 24th July 2007, 10:35   #3
Ruth Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie View Post
Hi Ruth,
Thanks for the reminder, this programme is definitely worth a second view. It's one of those programmes worth recording & keeping to watch when you cant get out & feel like indulging yourself in a birding pick-me-up.

He was a truly incredible inspirational man with a wonderful family who supported him & continue his work today.

Thumbs up from me, thanks Ruth
Glad you enjoyed it the first time too Pie,he certainly was an inspiration and I for one am looking forward to another viewing!

Last edited by Ruth Daniel : Tuesday 24th July 2007 at 11:06.
Old Tuesday 24th July 2007, 12:02   #4
Pam_m

Thanks Ruth.......I will put it on a post-it note straight away before I forget!

'Flying High' My Blog

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 24th July 2007, 12:15   #5
brianfm
Botanical Birder

Thanks for the reminder Ruth. I can't remember if I have seen this or not but will watch it anyway. I have always been a great fan of Peter Scott. As a young man he used to shoot the wildfowl, but became a great conservationist. I realise that there are those who would argue that shooting and conservation need not be seperated!

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 24th July 2007, 12:34   #6
Wendy Morris

Thanks, Ruth, I've highlighted it in my TV magazine.....one of the few programmes to feature this week!

Time spent on things that make you happy is never wasted.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 24th July 2007, 19:26   #7
bill moss

Hi Ruth,

Thanks, I'll look forward to that. I've got three of his 'Travel Diaries of a Naturalist' and an excellent read they are, I'd recommend them if you can find a copy.

Bill.
Old Wednesday 25th July 2007, 07:27   #8
Ruth Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill moss View Post
I've got three of his 'Travel Diaries of a Naturalist' and an excellent read they are, I'd recommend them if you can find a copy.
Thanks for the tip Bill,I certainly will!
We've got a great 2nd hand book place near us,it's huge like an old warehouse and we very often go for a mooch....I have a "wanted" list so I'll add them to it!
Thats how I managed to get hold of a copy of "All the birds of the air" by Greenoak after your recommendation!
Best wishes,
Old Wednesday 25th July 2007, 12:41   #9
BazR
bazr

Thanks Ruth. I haven't seen it, but when I get off here I'll set record on my hard-drive so I can't forget it, I would otherwise. LOL!!.

All the best.
Baz.

Spike Milligan

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 25th July 2007, 14:48   #10
Dizzy

Thanks Ruth. This doesnt ring any bells for me, so I'll definitely watch it.

Best Wishes
Old Friday 27th July 2007, 09:30   #11
Ruth Daniel

Hi all,
I'm just bumping this up as the prog is on tonight!!!
Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Old Saturday 28th July 2007, 18:06   #12
brianfm
Botanical Birder

Well I certainly enjoyed the programme. Wish we had more like it. I hadn't seen it before and although I know much of Peter Scott's history I found it really interesting. For anyone interested in his art work the 'The Art of Peter Scott...Images of a Lifetime' is a great book. As the programme suggested his paintings of wildfowl take some beating.

Just to be a devil, I was wondering what those of you who are not entirely in favour of bird ringing thought of the rockets and netting?

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 28th July 2007, 20:22   #13
George Garner

Hi Brian,
I have no objection to ringing, when it is done straight away, and close to the nest. However I do object when the birds are kept in captivity,
for shows just to show the ringers skill. The main reason I don't object, is because I can think of no better way of obtaining the information ringing provides. The same feeling occurs with rocket netting, I cannot think of a better way of capturing a large number of birds in one go.
George
Old Saturday 28th July 2007, 21:33   #14
Dizzy

Thanks again Ruth...I was right..I hadnt seen it. What a great programme it was too, thoroughly enjoyed it.
Can you imagine being able to live in a house like that, with all those birds right outside your living room window ~ wonderful!

Best wishes
Old Sunday 29th July 2007, 08:15   #15
Ruth Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Thanks again Ruth...I was right..I hadnt seen it. What a great programme it was too, thoroughly enjoyed it.
Can you imagine being able to live in a house like that, with all those birds right outside your living room window ~ wonderful!
Glad you enjoyed it Dizzy,Brian too!
Oh yes a view like that would be marvellous wouldn't it?
Think of all the housework you wouldn't do!!!!!

Brian his artwork is stunning ....I can't imagine how anyone can make such stunning pictures come to life such as he does...amazing!!
Ringing,is good for study/info as long as it's done properly and with the safety of the birds put first!
Best wishes,
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: