Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Little Gulls at Musselburgh

Old Friday 27th July 2007, 19:23   #1
david kelly
Drive-by Birder

Little Gulls at Musselburgh

Due to car trouble I had to take a day off work but once the car was fixed I was able to fit in a quick visit to the scrapes at Musselburgh. 276 Little Gulls were counted there this morning (not by me), almost all were adults. This is unprecedented in Lothian at this time of year and I was wondering (a) Are there any more sites along the North Sea coast where they are being seen in unusual numbers and (b) any idea as to why.

Thanks

David
Old Friday 27th July 2007, 23:08   #2
Birdspotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by david kelly View Post
Due to car trouble I had to take a day off work but once the car was fixed I was able to fit in a quick visit to the scrapes at Musselburgh. 276 Little Gulls were counted there this morning (not by me), almost all were adults. This is unprecedented in Lothian at this time of year and I was wondering (a) Are there any more sites along the North Sea coast where they are being seen in unusual numbers and (b) any idea as to why.

Thanks

David
Don't know about A; Dave, but B; is probablly due to a recent shift in the range of post breeding flock's in the western North Sea.

Paper in BB a couple of years back.

Birding's a drug, you bird for the adrenalin rush of a rarity, you find one, then you need your next fix.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: