• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Lens. Someone tell me what to buy! (1 Viewer)

Don't forget brand new Tamron 150-600 VC USD, which sells around 1200$ or so.
Image quality is quite similar to Canon 100-400mm while both at 400mm focal lenght. But you get extra 200mm reach for pretty low price and 500-600mm IQ is very usable, espacially when stopped down to f/8.
When it comes to IQ, prime lenses are ofcourse the best.

After years of shooting with a 100-400, I bit the bullet and got my hands on a used 300 2.8 for a recent trip. Granted, it is in a different price range than the OP was talking about, but I thought I'd throw in my opinion.

I missed the zoom capability of the 100-400! The image quality of the 300 is great of course, but there were some shots I just couldn't get because I couldn't zoom out and backing up wasn't an option.

The 100-400 definitely has its place when shooting birds!

After years of shooting with a 100-400, I bit the bullet and got my hands on a used 300 2.8 for a recent trip. Granted, it is in a different price range than the OP was talking about, but I thought I'd throw in my opinion.

I missed the zoom capability of the 100-400! The image quality of the 300 is great of course, but there were some shots I just couldn't get because I couldn't zoom out and backing up wasn't an option.

The 100-400 definitely has its place when shooting birds!

or the Tamron 150-600mm for that matter.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back