• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terns (in Turkey) (1 Viewer)

sgokce

Hi everyone,
My birder friend took the pics of the Terns last week. Can u help him to identify them please? Thank u for your help in advance...

Attachments

• IMG_0609.JPG
    IMG_0609.JPG
    297.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0591.JPG
    IMG_0591.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 62
2 is a Little Tern, note the yellow bill and the two black outer primaries. 1 is a juvenile of either Common or Little Tern, I wouldn't dare a definite ID from this shot but lean towards Little

2 is a Little Tern, note the yellow bill and the two black outer primaries. 1 is a juvenile of either Common or Little Tern, I wouldn't dare a definite ID from this shot but lean towards Little

I know this can be from the blurry, but isn't the bill look thick enough for a Gull-billed?

sgokce - for ID requests please give us a more exact location. turkey is a large country with different types of climate zones. it can be very helpful for the ID process. especially if photos were taken at the coast or inland.
i agree with little tern for no 2, white front seemingly not visible in this pic (maybe also due to head moult).
as for no 1 - extremely difficult with just a blurry pic and just a ventral view of wings. bill could be strong (but general proportions don't suggest a large tern like gull billed!). initial gut feeling was that of a young whiskered tern. but head pattern could well fit a juv little tern with its bill just being blown up by being out of focus. not a common tern for me.

thanks; my take for now and gut feeling is juvenile little tern, basically on proportions (large head). bill is not fully grown and must be much slimmer than it appears in the pic.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back