• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (1 Viewer)

painting the foot??? On cliffs, I believe thrift evolved so the artist could put the birds' feet out of sight in it. And waders are great because they don't have feet!

painting the foot??? On cliffs, I believe thrift evolved so the artist could put the birds' feet out of sight in it. And waders are great because they don't have feet!
Trust me Nick - there's been more than a moment or two agonising over how much vegetation I can paint on this piece Some thrift is a possible answer - but I suspect I'll have to do a bit of 'yellow' somewhere.

do it, I find the feet are bigger than you expect, look at Jonsson's Peregrine in Birds of Europe, and you'll feel like painting falcons with moorhen toes!

Scottish peregrines sometimes have enormous feet! Way, way longer than you expect. Friends of mine have had these falcons and I've handled a few, so I speak from experience.

It's going great guns at the moment Tim, I'm really looking forward to the end result now.

Mike

Whilst the great peregrine foot debate goes on I'm still digesting those charcoal drawings from a few days ago. Every one of them seemed to package up the air, light, wind and water and bring it right into the painting, and all with just charcoal! It was a treat to see such different work.

As for the newest painting I'm very eager to see the results! I had to run to the dictionary to find out what all this 'thrift' was. Now I'll wait to see whether or not it makes an appearance.

Don't wimp out on me now Tim,, No Thrift covering the feet please:-O

Just one pointer if I may. Watch the placement of that foot. It looks
a little far forward to me and upsets the centre of balance in the
falcon. And yes they have big feet.

Its a lovely piece , that's one contented falcon, happy with her lot.

I'm yet to have a proper look at her foot/QUOTE]

Maybe she's resting on her right foot and what looks like the right 'leg' is actually the toe of her left foot peeping out through the feathers....

just a thought,

Keith.
Thanks for the help Keith. Fact is - I'm not working from any photo ref on this so I'm just kind of drawing it how I think it ought to be (using some sketches from Hobbister RSPB reserve, actually ;) ). I think the foot needs to drop back and into the breast/flank plumes a tad - that ought to help its point of balance somewhat. A bit less leg showing - as any demure lady will concur.

Here's a piece I've been working on for the last couple of days (in between fitting some tongue and groove on the bedroom ceiling).
Another from Fair Isle - probably the last for a while . . .
I was just a little tempted to include a fly-past of a squadron of puffins - with one all black one and funny ears ;)

Attachments

• Fair Isle shags8.jpg
    Fair Isle shags8.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
your charcoal work is very special Tim....

what kind of paper, size, and type of charcoal are you using. Soft vine or something else. Is the paper toned or white?

this is a real winner.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back