• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sketches from Portugal (1 Viewer)

:hi: Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I will let you with these sketches of a Wallcreeper seen this winter. Give some feed back.

View attachment 306458 View attachment 306459 View attachment 306460 View attachment 306461 View attachment 306462

Excellent sketches Paulo. Whereabouts is the Wallcreeper wintering? I'm over for a few days in March - Porto.

May be a bit far for me as I only have a few days. Do you know any good birding sites south of Porto and north of Abrantes.

Thanks.

Thank you both, for your nice comments.

Excellent sketches Paulo. Whereabouts is the Wallcreeper wintering?

Hi Lawts,
the wallcreeper is wintering in Santa Luzia's Dam, in Pampilhosa da Serra. It's a beautiful place but a bit out of way.

I'm over for a few days in March - Porto.

May be a bit far for me as I only have a few days. Do you know any good birding sites south of Porto and north of Abrantes.

Thanks.

Well, there's a lot of places to cover between those two cities ;)

In the city of Porto you can visit the city park and the Douro estuary.
But a really magic place is the Tagus estuary, near Lisbon but south of Abrantes.

I advise you to visit the Fórum Aves: http://aves.team-forum.net/forum (you just need to register). There's a English Room where you can get all of the information you need. Just ask! :) if you need some help just tell me.

Lovely grebe drawings Paulo - the tiny drawing of the displaying bird top right is an excellent piece of documentation. Very difficult shapes done brilliantly.

Thank you both, for your nice comments.

Hi Lawts,
the wallcreeper is wintering in Santa Luzia's Dam, in Pampilhosa da Serra. It's a beautiful place but a bit out of way.

Well, there's a lot of places to cover between those two cities ;)

In the city of Porto you can visit the city park and the Douro estuary.
But a really magic place is the Tagus estuary, near Lisbon but south of Abrantes.

I advise you to visit the Fórum Aves: http://aves.team-forum.net/forum (you just need to register). There's a English Room where you can get all of the information you need. Just ask! :) if you need some help just tell me.

Thanks. Just registered.

Lovely grebe drawings Paulo - the tiny drawing of the displaying bird top right is an excellent piece of documentation. Very difficult shapes done brilliantly.

Yes that little drawing at top right is really striking. Every time I draw in the field I think I must train harder!!

Paulo.....I visited your blog and really like the way you worked that Alpine Accentor oil painting....excellent!

I began today to draw nestlings of birds (these are Red-legged Partridge). It's very difficult to capture the feeling of this young devils.

Hope you enjoy as much as I do.

DSC05825 - Cópia.JPG

Last edited:
A very belated 'welcome Paulo' from me!

I can't believe I haven't commented on the great work in this thread yet! I keep looking and have somehow managed to not say a thing.

The wallcreeper sketches are full of life and action and the owl studies are brilliantly observed and finely detailed.

I've watched great crested grebes beginning their displays here in London. They're fascinating to watch and you've captured some of that fascination in your sketches. Drawing from life, especially birds in action, is certainly challenging but the rewards are worth the effort and you show that here too. Chicks are adorable!

I'm certainly looking forward to more from you.

Mike

Thank you. Somehow I forget to tell that these are Red-legged Partridge nestlings. Sorry.

Drawing from life, especially birds in action, is certainly challenging but the rewards are worth the effort and you show that here too.

Mike I can't agree more with you.

Wonderful baby partridges, bright and lively and very well painted indeed. An ostrich chick type posture with its head in the sand on the bottom!

some excellent work here - the grebes convey hours of watching them on a few sheets of paper - and the little sketch is a cracker. The rl partridge chicks are expertly done, colour, posture and humour.

Excellent work, Paulo!
Great Cressie is favourite subject of mine (you can only look at Black-headed gulls for so long) and these studies are superb. They are indeed a challenge when throwing all kinds of shapes in their preening and displaying actions. I'm looking forward to the spring after looking at these fine efforts!

Russ

Today I made some sketches inside the house ;) the rain doesn't stop all day.
The Collared Doves doesn't seem to care, but the Song Thrush seems to be upset.

IMG_2380.JPG IMG_2384.JPG IMG_2383.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back