• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dave's Tablet (1 Viewer)

I think something large scale is being called for now Dave - along the lines of your heron painting? - Great work.

Hi Tim,

Yes, I realise that I keep going for simple little sketchy type things, especially with minimalist background!

The simple reason is that I'm snowed under with work at the mo, and can't justify anything that I can't start and finish in the same evening!

Give me a few months and we'll see how my schedule shapes up.

Cheers

Dave

Great stuff. nice to know I'm an influence on peoples work. Good Needletail

Thanks for being kind Andrew. But if you were being really critical
;), what would you saw I need to do to improve that blurry wingtip? I keep looking at it, and, while it isn't a disaster, I know it isn't quite right yet...!

Thanks

Dave

lovely work and I hope you find the time for the larger one.

Thanks Arthur,

OK, working toward this 'larger work', I realize that I don't have much clue about designing the picture, apart from 'the rule of thirds'.

I've just roughed out an idea for a painting of a Black-shouldered Kite, but would appreciate the collective advice of the many luminaries on this forum. Please feel free to scribble on this, redesign it, rotate it or just make suggestions on whatever it takes to make it easy on the eye.

Thanks

Dave

Attachments

• Black-shouldered Kite1.jpg
    Black-shouldered Kite1.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 214
Thanks for being kind Andrew. But if you were being really critical
;), what would you saw I need to do to improve that blurry wingtip? I keep looking at it, and, while it isn't a disaster, I know it isn't quite right yet...!

Thanks

Dave

Well Dave hope you don't mind I saved your image and did some
crude retouches in photo shop to show how I would have
done the wings. I felt that to do one was,nt effective enough
I'm sure you will get it in the end and render it so..! much better than
i did . Hope this has helped

Attachments

• Brown%20Needletail%20copy-r.jpg
    Brown%20Needletail%20copy-r.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 178
I really like the idea for your B S Kite, but as you wanted some other ideas as for the composition, here is my take on it, of course, there is no such thing as THE composition, and there are endless possibilities, here's how I'd probably do it if it were my picture. First I'd make the painting a bit taller (I've cropped the edges to show this, though that's not to say I think what was there should be left out, just made into a taller picture, then I put the bird a little higher up).

Attachments

• bskite.jpg
    bskite.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 133
I've just roughed out an idea for a painting of a Black-shouldered Kite, but would appreciate the collective advice of the many luminaries on this forum. Please feel free to scribble on this, redesign it, rotate it or just make suggestions on whatever it takes to make it easy on the eye.

Thanks

Dave

I may qualify more as loony than luminary on this forum, but to get your good idea rolling here's a couple of comments:

- the bird is pretty much in the middle of the picture on the vertical axis

- and if you follow the bird's line of sight, it quickly takes you off the right hand edge of the picture

- so I would be tempted to make the composition more aggressive but satisfying by:

Alternative 1- more horizontal

-- cropping off a slice of landscape at the top, which has the effect of raising the bird slightly above the midline of what remains of the picture and giving more of a sense of the bird looking down

-- and extending the right hand side of the picture by quite a lot, so the bird is looking into the extended visible landscape

Alternative 2 - more vertical

Tilting the bird's head so it is looking down more sharply and cropping some background from top and right hand side- so you have a more strongly vertical image, with bird looking towards bottom right hand corner

just some thoughts...

EDIT- I see a luminary in form of ND has come by..

For what its worth I was thinking along the same lines as nick.By making the
kite bigger in the picture and raising it up more towards the top.

I know it's a prelim, but I'd be tempted to knock back the landcape tonally by about 40% and allow the bird some depth to live in. I quite like the original comp, actually (but that's never been my strong point - er, I'm yet to find what is!)

Agree with Tim for toning down the landscape (you were probably going to do this anyway). But keep the colours, they're superb!

Agree with Tim for toning down the landscape (you were probably going to do this anyway). But keep the colours, they're superb!

How good is this forum?! I go to bed at night and wake up to find so much great advice! Thanks, Andrew, for having a go at the other needletail wingtip. I shall get to work on that.

And thanks Nick, Ed, Andrew and Tim for feedback on the kite. There's a pleasing consensus coming through that will be really helpful as I try to take this to the next stage.

Great stuff!

Dave

Well Dave hope you don't mind I saved your image and did some
crude retouches in photo shop to show how I would have
done the wings. I felt that to do one was,nt effective enough
I'm sure you will get it in the end and render it so..! much better than
i did . Hope this has helped

There y'go Andrew!

I spend some time wondering whether this would make the bird look too 'flappy'; I didn't want to make it look as if it's trying too hard! But, in the end, I like your suggestion better I think.

Thanks a lot,

Dave

Attachments

• Brown Needletail copy.jpg
    Brown Needletail copy.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Brown Needletail2 copy.jpg
    Brown Needletail2 copy.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 137
Yes that works really well Dave - (and I know what you were trying to do with the 'not trying too hard' jiz - fundementally, it's a great little painting either way).

Great Dave . Thought you would render it better than me with your
magic touch on the tablet.

Actually Andrew, notwithstanding the fact that you were using a mouse, I actually prefer the greater degree of pale blurring you brought into your version.

I was rather liking the look of that Kite - how's it coming along David? (no rush;))

Hi Deborah

Not likely to see the light of day for some time I'm afraid - far too busy with other stuff - as I warned I might be!

But thanks for reminding me to revisit it eventually!

Dave

If Ed's Thread is like a hibernating bat, mine is like one of those Coelecanth's that gets trawled out of the deep long after everyone thought it had gone extinct!

Took the kids out for a walk yesterday. First stop is the obligatory visit to the loo (don't want to get caught out in the forest!) and while they are otherwise occupied, I decide to investigate an enormous racket being made by various birds in nearby thicket. Turns out the cause of the commotion is this biggish snake - a Red-tailed Ratsnake I found out later. A few bulbuls in attendance, and this daring (or foolhardy?) sunbird. It was actually a female Brown-throated, but I've decided it will be a male Crimson if ever it gets to the colour stage - for purely aesthetic reasons (another case of a guy getting the credit that should belong to a lady?!).

Anyway, the snake stayed around long enough for the girls to get good views, and the day was made before we'd been out of the car 10 minutes! Cool.

Now if I was Nick Derry I might finish this off before 4am tomorrow morning, but I'm not, so it might be a while ... The Coelecanth sinks down into the depths once more!

Attachments

• the serpent and the sunbird.jpg
    the serpent and the sunbird.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Dave Its just nice to see the prehistoric fish surface again thats all I can say!
Feeling a bit of a Coelecanth myself at the mo! Got bogged down in a Design
project I'm involved with at the mo so no painting being done or sketches for
the matter thoroughly misserable:-C

Looking forward to the outcome of this delightful drawing:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back