• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dave's Tablet (1 Viewer)

Excellent sketches, spot on, and I love the feet!

Thanks Jomo,

Glad you like the feet, they are a perennial nightmare for me!

Just finished a sketch from a birding trip down south a couple of weeks ago. A Temminck's and Long-toed Stint. Temminck's is the rarity of the two here - in fact - it was a country tick for me, and therefore worth commemorating!

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• Temminck's Stint and Long-toed Stint.jpg
    Temminck's Stint and Long-toed Stint.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
If anything's worth commemorating - then do it correctly - and, wow, does this do it justice. Superb Dave - a really beautiful painting with the emphasis fairly and squarely on these two little gems (I'd love to see either - never have yet!). Great work.

I'm leading an introductory field trip folks who've never been birding before on Sunday, so I've decided to do a very simple 'I Spy' style sheet of 20 common bird species.

Now all I have to do is draw them! Gonna see how many I get done today! Here are the first two - Scaly-breasted Munia and White-rumped Munia.

Attachments

• Munia Scaly-breasted.jpg
    Munia Scaly-breasted.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Munia White-rumped copy.jpg
    Munia White-rumped copy.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 108
Lovely work yet again Dave. Sunday sounds like an interesting jaunt. One thing that occurs to me (obviously you're working in black/white for reproduction purposes) but will the 1st time birders be able to make the step from 2-colour id drawing to full-colour real-life bird? Clearly your expertise 'in the flesh' will go a huge way towards breaking this barrier down - just wondered how you perceived this?

Good thought Tim,

Unfortunately colour printing/photocopying is beyond my budget. I thought this might be simpler than leafing through a field guide with 700 odd species in it, and will at least give them some idea of what they might see. I'll be with them too, so that might make a bit of difference!

Two more - Black-headed Munia and Eurasian Tree Sparrow (for some reason it doesn't want to upload pics. Will try again later.)

Last edited:
Wierd what you take for granted on your own turf. I looked at the munias and my gut reaction was 'cage birds!'

Good luck with the tour, I'm sure you'll convert most.

Woody

Crikey! You're up early Tim!

Last edited:
Wierd what you take for granted on your own turf. I looked at the munias and my gut reaction was 'cage birds!'

Good luck with the tour, I'm sure you'll convert most.

Woody

Crikey! You're up early Tim!

Here y'go Woody,

Another cage bird for you, and a spadger! Black-headed Munia and Eurasian Tree Sparrow.

Dave

Attachments

• Munia Black-headed.jpg
    Munia Black-headed.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 102
  • Sparrow, Eurasian Tree copy.jpg
    Sparrow, Eurasian Tree copy.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Well if any b/w drawings can make the life-illustration transition, then these can! Superb, Dave.
Tree sparrows are a bit of a mega up here, too. Strange to think I used to get them on my feeders in Yorkshire a decade ago.

superb illustrations that are full of life. House and Tree sparrows are still common here in France, but for how long. Tree Sparrows made a comeback in my native Midlands (if you can call a flock of 20 a comeback) whereas the House Sparrows are now quite an exciting bird to get at my parents'. Weird to think that in the past few years I've seen more redpolls from their window (council had a good idea in planting alders many years ago!).

Lovely drawings. I haven't seen a tree sparrow but do know they are nesting in the Towy valley here in south Wales. I must look harder!

This is my favourite of them all - it's a real beaut! Make it a painting, please!

Thanks Tim,

As you can probably tell I spent more time on this one than the others - something very pleasing about rendering a predominantly black bird in black and white. Painting? We'll have to see!

Thanks,

Dave

Lost the plot on this one a bit I feel, went for the hyper-detailed look, and as a result, it's lost a bit of life. Ah well, learn and move on!

Oh, it's a White-throated Kingfisher, for those who like to know names!

Attachments

• White-throated Kingfisher copy.jpg
    White-throated Kingfisher copy.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 138
  • White-throated Kingfisher head.jpg
    White-throated Kingfisher head.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back