Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Daffy's Studio...

Old Wednesday 25th March 2009, 22:18   #1
Daffyduck

Daffy's Studio...

Hi, I've just gone back to painting watercolours after a break of about 2 yrs. Ive had no formal training, just attended a couple of saturday workshops on drawing birds and of course I do bird watch.

I would be really grateful if you could let me know what you think of these as I am too scared to show them to family incase they laugh!

I started out with the Willet, and found that i was going into alot of detail so then i did the yellow throat and the barn owl, working alot looser. I was amazed at how the paint seem to run on the page and leave great marks.

Would be good to hear what you think? And any advice as to what to improve on. I must admit I fear washes and so tend to steer clear of heavy background stuff...

Thanks again
Tina
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Art Willet rs.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	188362  Click image for larger version

Name:	Art Common Yellow throat rs.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	188363  Click image for larger version

Name:	Art barn owl rs.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	188364  
Old Wednesday 25th March 2009, 23:03   #2
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

Welcome to the best part of the forum Tina, you've done the hardest part of saying hello, now don't be a stranger - we're all a very friendly bunch on here and it's allways great to have somebody new. These are very nice indeed, I adore the subtle colours on the yellowthroat, and the superb expression on the willet, beautifully done. As you ask for advice on improvement, I'll just say, I imagine these are done from photos, so my advice would be to get the sketchbook out with you when out birding and scribble away whilst watching - even the simplest few lines can turn into an exciting picture. Looking forward to seeing more - oh, and DO share these with your family, never be worried that people may laugh, they may, but in this case they shouldn't! You can be proud of these.
Old Thursday 26th March 2009, 07:39   #3
Woody

Welcome along Tina! Can't beat Nick's advice on the sketching really, it helps you to paint what you see rather than what you know to be there. I'd also say, experiment some, try washes and backgrounds, after all, it's only paper, and you may well surprise yourself!

Mike

http://www.wildlifeart1.co.uk/
http://thescolopaxchronicles.blogspot.com/
Old Thursday 26th March 2009, 16:18   #4
timwootton

Hi Tina - welcome aboard.
The willet shows some very strong drawing, beautiful posture nd very nicely painted too. A super piece of work, all round. I really like the simple design of the yellowthroat - very reminiscent of the grand tradition of the pioneers of bird portrayal.
Great stuff - look forward to seeing more.
Old Friday 27th March 2009, 00:44   #5
jomo

Just beautiful, all three, any one of them deserve to be popped into a frame right as they are. And you've got one of my absolute favourite warblers there, too (so much character in those little birds ... sigh, spring can't come soon enough!).

The great thing about washes is that they're the first thing you lay on the page, so if you're not happy with it, you've invested nothing. Play around with it, throw on some salt or create spatter with a toothbrush (great ways to add interest and texture if you're not that into big involved backgrounds).
Old Friday 27th March 2009, 18:03   #6
Daffyduck

Thanks folks for your kind comments - its amazing how it gives you a bit more confidence especially when you are painting by yourself and a bit shy to share!

Okay so next time i go birding, will carry telescope, camera, lunch and now Sketchbook - so if you see a lady laden down with gear in the field - its ME!

Will also have a go at a few washes....and lets see what happens!

thanks again for the encouragement - so much appreciated.
Tina
Old Friday 27th March 2009, 18:06   #7
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

that's the spirit! you'll have a lot of fun (and also quite a few 'grr' moments) but it will all be worth it. You'll see how drawing a moving bird really gets you to look at it in a different light.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: