• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a special 8x32 (1 Viewer)

She sold me her Genesis because they didn't work for her. I find them one of the easiest of all my bins to look though. I think she took your advice and ordered a FL. Hopefully it's not as hard to look through as some are saying now. But who knows what will work for her. I cannot figure out what she sees in binoculars. It's far beyond my abilities to figure anything out in that respect. I just throw out some ideas and hope one sticks.

Seems she's taken to heart the "try before buying"....just in reverse! :-O

A nice position to be in, as long as optic vendors continue to have respectable return policies on new products!! ;)

Ted

...Seriously for a moment at least, we clearly have different experiences with FL 32. Myself, I have never given eye placement or critical IPD setting a thought since I bought my example in 2012. My IPD is quite narrow at 58.5 which might be a bit more comfortable for close distances than yours...

Yeah, I don't know. I'm _exceedingly_ visually/mentally sensitive to resolution being diminished by astigmatic smearing. In fact, this is my biggest problem when I get new eyeglasses prescriptions. If the astigmatism correction isn't just so, I am visually bothered by something being "not quite right", as if I can't quite nail the last 0.001% of perfect focus, and it just drives me crazy. I've learned that my eye doctor needs to check my astigmatism correction multiple times or else there is a risk that I will end up rejecting the glasses and we will have to try an alternative astigmatism correction. We both breathe a sigh of relief when I change prescriptions and this doesn't arise as an issue.

I think it is just a fact of its optical design that the FL series is intolerant of eye positioning. Some other models are as well, but many bins are extremely tolerant of off-axis viewing and eye decentering. I notice the same from some scope eyepieces (e.g. tolerant Nikon 24/30x WF or MC versus finicky 16/24/30x DS eyepieces for Fieldscopes), and other optics (e.g. my Schneider 6x aspheric full-frame loupe for 35mm versus my Rodenstock equivalent).

Note that one problem that I _don't_ struggle with is blackout/kidney-beaning. I don't seem to have much difficulty finding the correct eye distance (with any optics) to avoid such issues.

My IPD is less than average (62 mm), and though not as tight as yours, I doubt it is a factor. The FL is a stupendous binocular for those with narrow IPD as it adjusts down to 52 mm.

--AP

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't know. I'm _exceedingly_ visually/mentally sensitive to resolution being diminished by astigmatic smearing. In fact, this is my biggest problem when I get new eyeglasses prescriptions. If the astigmatism correction isn't just so, I am visually bothered by something being "not quite right", as if I can't quite nail the last 0.001% of perfect focus, and it just drives me crazy. I've learned that my eye doctor needs to check my astigmatism correction multiple times or else there is a risk that I will end up rejecting the glasses and we will have to try an alternative astigmatism correction. We both breathe a sigh of relief when I change prescriptions and this doesn't arise as an issue.

I think it is just a fact of its optical design that the FL series is intolerant of eye positioning. Some other models are as well, but many bins are extremely tolerant of off-axis viewing and eye decentering. I notice the same from some scope eyepieces (e.g. tolerant Nikon 24/30x WF or MC versus finicky 16/24/30x DS eyepieces for Fieldscopes), and other optics (e.g. my Schneider 6x aspheric full-frame loupe for 35mm versus my Rodenstock equivalent).

Note that one problem that I _don't_ struggle with is blackout/kidney-beaning. I don't seem to have much difficulty finding the correct eye distance (with any optics) to avoid such issues.

My IPD is less than average (62 mm), and though not as tight as yours, I doubt it is a factor. The FL is a stupendous binocular for those with narrow IPD as it adjusts down to 52 mm.

--AP

My astigmatism in the left side has just rotated by about 15 degrees for reasons best known to my left eyeball. It took us quite a while to sort this out in my eye test last Saturday. But I am not at all sensitive to what is happening at the edge of the fov and have to make a very concious effort to look there and I don't find it at all comfortable. And where you don't have much difficulty with blackout/kidney beaning I find I need more sensitive eyecup positioning these days, more than in the past.

There you go, different folks with different experiences. Which makes discussion on Bird Forum even more valuable.

Lee

I'm not a woman but I do have a narrow IPD. (which I understand indicates criminogenic tendencies). I have a pair of Swarovski 8x 32s (2015) which work well with me. The only problem was the over-engineered rain guard which acted rather like a bottle opener and neatly removed the rubber eyepiece from the metal tube on two occasions. This was due to the angle between the two oculars. New eyepieces were replaced by Swarovski free of charge but I now use a generic Opticron rainguard costing £6 which seems fit for purpose. I still have available my wife's Zeiss Jena Deltrimtems 8x30 which match my IPD so I would assume the Swarovski Habicht 8x30 porro prism would also work satisfactorily.
It is important in this situation to try before buying. I seem to remember that the Leica 8x32 HD being OK but I got fed up of waiting for the HD+ and bought the Swarovski pair instead.

I feel the same about my swaro 8x32. The rainguard is built heavier than the frickin binocular. I'm trading them out also. It's amazing how wrong they got those IMO. I feel if I ever put them all the way on I'd never get them off. So I haven't. I just lightly lay them over the eyecups and then press down just a tiny bit. They still don't come off easy.

This is a common problem and I have been able to lift up some recent review units by the rainguard and shake the binos without them dropping out of the rainguard. This is hopeless for use in the rain. Also a problem which might affect Robert as much as me are rainguards made of stiff plastic. Getting these to bend enough to slip over eyecups that are closer than normal due to my smallish IPD can be really difficult especially if the rainguard cups distort due to the pressure you apply to make the guard match the eyecups. Again, hopeless in the rain.

Lee

I feel the same about my swaro 8x32. The rainguard is built heavier than the frickin binocular. I'm trading them out also. It's amazing how wrong they got those IMO. I feel if I ever put them all the way on I'd never get them off. So I haven't. I just lightly lay them over the eyecups and then press down just a tiny bit. They still don't come off easy.

The EL SV would be my choice for your needs. Very easy to look through
and the handling is superb.

If you don't like the rain guard, get a set of winged eyecups, and the winged
rain guard, that is the mate.

Good luck, hard to go wrong here. Just let your friend have a week or
2 to give these a good try.

Jerry

They are likely the best for her due to how easy they are to use and the great fov and optics. I like the idea of winged eye-guards for these. I actually have a pair but not winged rain-guards. Where can I buy those? Nothing like that on amazon.

They are likely the best for her due to how easy they are to use and the great fov and optics. I like the idea of winged eye-guards for these. I actually have a pair but not winged rain-guards. Where can I buy those? Nothing like that on amazon.

BC,

Winged Eye Guards + Winged Rain Guard = No Problem!!

Ted

Actually in looking at these swaro rain-guards they have little knobs on the insides that reduce the circumference of the eye-guard to really grip and stay on I guess. If I were to shave those off with a razor then they would likely go on and off much easier without being so loose they wouldn't stay on. What do you think of that idea?

Swarovski really know how to zing you with $$ for the accessories like some cars on the market. The SLC 15X56 should have come with the tripod adaptor like Zeiss offers, but for another 150+ you can BUY one. Marketing separate from the purchase = more $$$$.

Andy W.

Actually in looking at these swaro rain-guards they have little knobs on the insides that reduce the circumference of the eye-guard to really grip and stay on I guess. If I were to shave those off with a razor then they would likely go on and off much easier without being so loose they wouldn't stay on. What do you think of that idea?

BC,

The hard plastic ocular rainguard to both of my ELs go on snug but remove easy (possibly broken-in). Never even noticed those "sets of three" raised knobs in the ID of each eyepiece guard till just now?!

Sounds like your idea may work just fine. However, I suggest to go slow, removing just "1" knob at a time (three knobs per set-each offset 120 degrees-total of "9" knobs). Fit test after removing each knob till you achieve the desired results!

Let us know if the "surgery" is a success! ;)

Ted

I'm on Team Chill and AP here on the FLs... I had to send a pair back at the 30 day mark. I WANTED to like them SOOOOO much...but I had the blackout issue with them...I knew that if I couldn't bring them up every time and see clearly I would be SICK at the money they cost, so I sent them back (thanks Neil and Doug at CLNY!) Happy for you guys/gals that don't have the issue but I did.

I shall report back once I find the right tool for the job. I'm thinking my skill saw or a high speed grinder.

Well I did it. I took them all down a little and it's a tad better but I still want another rain-guard. If anyone knows what will fit and where to buy I'd love to hear.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back