Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Yorkshire Birding

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 395 votes, 4.92 average.
Old Wednesday 2nd May 2018, 09:12   #21201
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

So far this year no birds have been seen. Bomb bays area is probably the best but it is variable each year. An early morning walk from village side to King Rudding Lane should prove successful for singing birds.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 2nd May 2018, 17:29   #21202
WACCOE
Marching on Together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post
I want to visit Skipwith Common early next week to try and see Woodlark - I did try once in 2014 but got a 0. Any tips - what time to be there to hear them sing? What are the best places in the area to see them? Thanks in advance.
Hatfield Moor might be a better bet for Woodlark.

World 1180 Scops Owl, Western Pal 528 Scops Owl, UK 399 Parrot Crossbill,Yorkshire 349 Dartford Warbler
Old Wednesday 2nd May 2018, 20:56   #21203
Himalaya

I wanted to go and see them to be honest. I do not mind visiting Hatfield or Thorne - never been to Thorne. In fact they are a better because I hope to go Blacktoft sands.
Old Saturday 5th May 2018, 21:16   #21204
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

Yesterday as there was a bike race through Pontefract I took the day off work and went East.
Stopped off at Swinefleet to watch a dozen dotterel in a ploughed field - a great start to the day then onto Spurn.
Started off at Sammy's Point - wheatears, whitethroats and whimbrels and eventually a gropper that refused to come out to see us.
Kilnsea wetlands - was wet and empty - well there were some greylags and a canada goose and then a drake goosander dropped in
Parking at the Bluebell we walked the triangle and visited Canal Scrape hide. Lost count of the wheatears we saw and have since been informed that the obs counted 113 for the day. In the hide we were again confronted with almost no birds on the water and were about to leave when we got onto a reed warbler who did play ball and proved to be very showy indeed. Not often you get that.
Back to Sammys Point to try for the wood warbler that had been reported - no such luck although we think we may have been directed to the wrong place. Great tit and a further buzzing from the gropper ended the day for us.

Old Monday 7th May 2018, 17:39   #21205
barontan2418

Quote:
I wanted to go and see them to be honest. I do not mind visiting Hatfield or Thorne - never been to Thorne. In fact they are a better because I hope to go Blacktoft sands.
Eight Hobbies in the air at the same time at Thorne yesterday and there is a very special harrier at Blacktoft so both sites worth a visit

Written by John Denver.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 7th May 2018, 17:47   #21206
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by barontan2418 View Post
Eight Hobbies in the air at the same time at Thorne yesterday and there is a very special harrier at Blacktoft so both sites worth a visit
That very special harrier wasn't there for the two and a half hours we were there on Saturday. Nice close views of Marsh Harriers though. Not much else.

Steve
Old Friday 18th May 2018, 17:02   #21207
Chris-Leeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Dickinson View Post
So far this year no birds have been seen. Bomb bays area is probably the best but it is variable each year. An early morning walk from village side to King Rudding Lane should prove successful for singing birds.
I went on Tuesday and didn't see any. Managed 2 tree pipits but not a lot else though I wasn't feeling well and couldn't muster any enthusiasm.

I went to the Strid yesterday and there was no sign of wood warblers. Despite hearing redstarts I didn't manage to lay eyes on any of them. One positive was a male ring ouzel just at the start of Barden Fell bordering the Valley of desolation.
Old Friday 18th May 2018, 19:47   #21208
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

Wood warblers seem to be in short supply this year around the Strid. Any spot flys there?
Redstart were pretty showy the other week especially as you enter the wood from the upstream on the Storiths side of the river.
Rouzels are fairly regular at top end of Valley of Desolation, sit quietly and you are very soon rewarded.

Old Saturday 19th May 2018, 12:39   #21209
Chris-Leeds

The problem was that there are a lot of leaves in the trees now and got tired of craning my neck looking upwards. My usual patience hasn't present this week due to feeling quite rotten.
Didn't see any spotted flycatchers but then again didn't see a single one anywhere last year. Shame because I really do like them.
Old Saturday 19th May 2018, 15:50   #21210
Zarapito

Redstarts have been quite reliable in the area that Keith mentioned and plenty of Pied Flys in the next section. We haven't heard any Wood Warblers yet this year nor have we seen any Spotted Flys.

Cuckoo(s) about and pretty reliable on Barden Moor at the moment and there are at least two pairs of Ring Ouzels as well. Saw a couple of Common Redpolls up there for the first time this morning.

Graeme
Old Sunday 20th May 2018, 13:17   #21211
Richard G

Spotted Flycatcher in Strid Woods this morning. Seen going in to one of the nest boxes near the stone hut. No Redstarts today, but a fair few Pied Flycatchers.

A slowly improving UK Life List - Last Lifers - Iberian Chiffchaff (219)

Last edited by Richard G : Sunday 20th May 2018 at 13:18. Reason: Extra info added.
Old Tuesday 22nd May 2018, 20:39   #21212
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

Thanks Richard - one of many targets for tomorrow

Old Wednesday 23rd May 2018, 11:29   #21213
Duckwoman
fledging new birdwatchers every year

The Leeds Birdfair

The Leeds Birdfair is just a month away (Saturday 23rd June at Rodley Nature Reserve 9:30-4) – If you are able to help us publicise the event I’ve attached a poster to either print or pass on to your members/customers/birding friends

Here is a list of this year’s exhibitors

Rodley Nature Reserve Trust
Start Birding
Leeds Swifts
RSPB
Yorkshire Wildlife Trust
Swillington Ings Bird Group
Spurn Bird Observatory
Leeds Parks and Green Space Forum
Calverley Beekeepers
Second Nature Books
In Focus
Bird Holidays
Andrew Ramsey Photography
Yorkshire Dragonfly Group
British Trust for Ornithology
TCV Hollybush
Yorkshire Naturalists Union
Stuart Bamford Wildlife Art and Photography
Canal and Rivers Trust.

Best wishes and I hope to see you there

Linda
Attached Files
File Type: pdf birdfair 18 poster.pdf (624.5 KB, 13 views)
Old Thursday 31st May 2018, 10:52   #21214
rachk116

Hi All,
Looking for some recommendations of places for birds within walking distance of Holmfirth. Am there for a couple of days so hoping to do some walking and birding. Little Owl, Dipper, Grey Wagtail, Redstart, Ring Ousel, Pied Flycatcher would all be lovely if anyone knows of areas close by that I could visit.

Thanks in advance
Rachel
Old Friday 1st June 2018, 07:03   #21215
lazerock

Hi Rachel,

I'd recommend checking http://www.huddersfieldbirdwatchersc...oard=sightings, great source of info.

I live in Marsden, which is about eight miles from Holmfirth. Here, you have a great chance of Dipper and Grey Wagtail by walking along the river through the village. Llttle Owls are possible around this village too.
Old Friday 1st June 2018, 08:02   #21216
rachk116

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerock View Post
Hi Rachel,

I'd recommend checking http://www.huddersfieldbirdwatchersc...oard=sightings, great source of info.

I live in Marsden, which is about eight miles from Holmfirth. Here, you have a great chance of Dipper and Grey Wagtail by walking along the river through the village. Llttle Owls are possible around this village too.
Thank you Lazerock,

That's brilliant, I'll have a good look through your link. It looks full of the info I'm looking for.
Old Friday 1st June 2018, 17:07   #21217
Chris-Leeds

HalfTwo lives or lived there. Maybe get some advice from him?
Old Tuesday 5th June 2018, 14:50   #21218
Zarapito

Wood Warbler finally seen in Strid Wood. I think that there are a pair, I had excellent views of the male this morning as did others. I understand that they have been around for about a week.
Old Wednesday 20th June 2018, 22:48   #21219
Himalaya

Thinking of going Bempton some point over next week. I am travelling from Lancashire and want to stop off at another reserve before arriving at Bempton at lunch. What can people recommend - not including the St Aidans, Fairburn, North Cave, Blacktoft ....
Old Thursday 21st June 2018, 19:08   #21220
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

Quote:
Thinking of going Bempton some point over next week. I am travelling from Lancashire and want to stop off at another reserve before arriving at Bempton at lunch. What can people recommend - not including the St Aidans, Fairburn, North Cave, Blacktoft ....

Really depends on the route you are taking - the ones you mention are all within easy distance of M62.
If you are coming over and heading for the A64 then maybe Askham Bog just west of York.

Staveley close to Knaresborough and Nosterfield out by Ripon are good but hardly on your route
Same goes for Old Moor and Potteric Carr which are down by Doncaster.

Old Yesterday, 06:31   #21221
Duckwoman
fledging new birdwatchers every year

Quote:
Rodley Nature Reserve is open Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday and is worth a visit. If you’re travelling this Saturday (23rd) we’ll be holding the Leeds Birdfair at the Reserve.
https://www.startbirding.co.uk/leeds-birdfair/
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: