• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eye relief (1 Viewer)

mike hawley

Occasional Alcoholic
Am I by myself in thinking that eye relief problems for spectacle wearers are solved by pushing your glasses up onto your forehead and using a " naked " eye. I find doing this and pulling the eyecup out gives me a far more immersive viewing experience. Is it that my particular sight problem (short sighted) is particularly suited to this method or would everybody benefit.

I think you are correct but I personally am so very short sighted that I know that I would not be able to relocate a bird, should it make any movement during the "push glasses up - raise binoculars - look at bird" phase

I've seen (and occasionally see guys) doing this
Give it a whizz

I think pushing your glasses up has the possibility you lose (sometimes valuable) time. I never went for this method, but I should add that I have never been able to balance glasses on my forehead anyway!
I know people who push their glasses up (especially when looking through telescopes).
So it's obviously a case of preference – do what suits you best.

I don't quite understand how you can see well without your distance glasses when looking through the binocular (?).
Everything is noticeably sharper when looking through my binocular with my glasses (same as it is with normal viewing).
The view is blurry without my glasses.

Should have been more specific I was referring to scopes not binos. I don't find eye relief with binos a problem but using a scope can be awkward.

I am short sighted myself and I tend to use the bino's strength to go along with my short-sightness, and forget about using my glasses for birdwatching all together.

The reason why... is the fear of scratching the surface of my glasses - even with the eye cups set up to go with my glasses.

OH sets me straight if he sees something of interest in my case ;)

Same applies to Scopes in my case.

OH and I have different vision to one another, so we have to compromise - somehow! (I am shortsighted/longsighted - and he s longsighted) - just different styles that is all

Last edited:
Doesn't work well for me, my glasses tend to fall if I try it. Maybe it depends on the shape of your forehead or something.

I think getting your eye closer to the eyepiece cuts out a lot of side light, and increases contrast.

Doesn't work well for me, my glasses tend to fall if I try it. Maybe it depends on the shape of your forehead or something.

I think getting your eye closer to the eyepiece cuts out a lot of side light, and increases contrast.

I agree with the closeness of the eye to the eyepiece, and you can so much more detail of your subject without glasses

I think one way to deal with annoying glasses is to use contact lenses (done that and it is great) or clip your glasses on a chain- so they do not fall to the ground.

I am a firm believer in keeping my bino's, and my camera handy tied to two separate straps around my neck becuse of my hands (they are not strong, and I drop things a lot) - just do not want to break any expensive equipment, or lose a chance to do a good bit of birding.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back