Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

How is the COVID virus affecting you?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 13:25   #51
3Italianbirders
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
I think It is a term that should be binned in preference to Physical Distancing, or another one I heard from a talking head today - 'SPATIAL' Distancing . I'm certainly going to adopt that one - there's been too much fear programming already.

This is a far more prescriptive term without the negative 'isolation' connotations, whilst still complying with the intentions of that earlier advice. Social connection (either virtually or appropriately spaced) is a key immune system supporter.
You can call it what you like, but if you are in lockdown you are in lockdown, and if you are lucky you are stuck with your family members, but if you live alone, like so many elderly people, you are with yourself and by yourself every bloody endless day and changing its name won't change a bit the boredom, the frustration and the fear. Because the fear is real and it's not manufactured: healthy 40-year olds are dying or spending weeks in ICUs. I for one am afraid, for myself, for my family and for my friends and find myself wondering if we will all be here at the end of this.

Yes social connection is important, but gatherings are banned anyway so it can only be virtual and rest assured that after a couple of weeks it's not enough to lift the spirits. Also many elderly and/or vulnerable people don't have access, or the knowledge, to use social media, so they only have the telly, or books.

BF Supporter 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 13:34   #52
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Best to think of it as 'PHYSICAL' Distancing

The last thing anyone needs is social isolation .....
'Physical' distancing doesn't work if you are interacting socially - it's really hard and people will 'break the rules', either by accident or by default.

eg keeping pubs open - tell people to keep 2m apart - absolutely can't work due to surfaces, interaction, passing through doorways etc. Even allowing people to go for a walk (which I think is probably ok imo) - people will stop for a chat, their dogs will interact etc etc

Encouraging people to chat to their neighbours over the garden fence/through an open window/out in the garden would be good, although of course harder for people in flats.

It's all certainly a problem.

EDIT: talking about 'social distancing' as opposed to full 'lockdown'. The latter more effective for disease control, the former better for mental health. Depends which country you live in who gets what here on BF.

Last edited by dantheman : Saturday 21st March 2020 at 13:38.
Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 16:10   #53
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
'Physical' distancing ......

EDIT: talking about 'social distancing' as opposed to full 'lockdown'. The latter more effective for disease control, the former better for mental health. Depends which country you live in who gets what here on BF.
Even if you are formally isolating from normal social interaction and physical contact with other people /the environment, or even in full-on lock down, I would be terming it something emotionally unloaded such as SPATIAL distancing which encompasses everything from prescribed minimums all the way to a village away or whatever. Advice /laws are different in different countries due to the different stages of progression /strategies. Folks should remember that.

Freeing yourself from the programmed fear is a very healthy survival strategy. Too many here are too quick to label and judge, or succumb to those fears - you're wrong /I'm right, that's dangerous, you're ignorant /uncaring etc, etc. It's a bit sad really ......

It wouldn't be too hard to imagine someone glued to the rolling news coverage and endless opinion Keeling over through sheer fear if they ever had to go to hospital, see all the hazmat suits etc, and then got a prognosis negative diagnosis .......

Unfortunately, real detailed data is just not being disseminated. If anyone has hard, drilled down data on the Italian situation - please post. The most informed report I have seen was that the average age of those who died was 80 years old, but there was nothing on any preexisting co-morbidity conditions. It is incredibly irresponsible to pedal this mass fear and hysteria through the media. Then again, that's the sinister business they are in.

So far there are 4/1000ths of a % of the global population infected. No matter what local position you find yourself in, I don't want anyone to be frightened (though don't judge them if they are). Open the window in the sunshine and talk to your neighbor clear across the street - it was fantastic to see the nearby villagers who from their balconies /windows applauded hospital staff who had come out on the street to acknowledge that

As far as people being fearful of being alone goes ..... excuse me - what ?! what a fantastic opportunity !
Some of the most beautifully memorable times in my life have been when I was in the Himalayas by myself, and ...... nothing - not a person to be seen in any direction - just complete silence

I think it's ridiculous when people are prevented (or self restrained) from going for a walk by themselves, or for a ride on their duke; I have even heard folks here say they wouldn't go birding at their regular spots just in case they tripped over and needed rescuing and hospital attention - excuse me again - what ?! That's just fear people, plain and simple (with maybe a bit of 21st Century OH&S illogical risk aversion thrown in for good measure) .....

I think the biggest danger in this whole ordeal is if one more talking head on tellie mentions the 'new normal' again - I may just put my foot through the TV ! It's got to the ridiculous stage now where in best Ozzie fashion, the news reporters have even abbreviated it to the 'new norm' ........ ! for goodness sake !
This is our 'known knowns, known unknowns, and unknown unknowns' moment ........ and we all know what a great big fat war crime lie that turned out to be, don't we.

Stay happy peeps :)

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 17:47   #54
3Italianbirders
BF Supporter 2020

I am really tempted to just let it go, because I am so bored by your attempts at levity and regular downplaying of the threat that C-19 poses, not to mention the callous advice about staying happy when thousands of people have died or are dying. And even if they are mostly 80 year olds, does it really make a difference? My parents are 83 and 79 and otherwise healthy and so are many elderly people I know, why should they die prematurely because people like you think that it is "somebody's" business to engineer fear in people and social distancing is an exaggeration?

Instead I will answer once and for all, because it will be the last time I will answer any of your posts, to the absurd points you make and try to provide also some of the "hard data" that you say it's impossible to find.

Quote:
Even if you are formally isolating from normal social interaction and physical contact with other people /the environment, or even in full-on lock down, I would be terming it something emotionally unloaded such as SPATIAL distancing which encompasses everything from prescribed minimums all the way to a village away or whatever.
No matter what you call it it doesn't change what it is. As a matter of fact here it's not called social distancing but #iorestoacasa (I stay at home). I don't think that people give the slightest about what it is called, nor that changes their state of mind or their mood.

Quote:
Freeing yourself from the programmed fear is a very healthy survival strategy. Too many here are too quick to label and judge, or succumb to those fears - you're wrong /I'm right, that's dangerous, you're ignorant /uncaring etc, etc. It's a bit sad really ......
What is sad is that people are dying. Full stop. Fear is not programmed (by whom? and why? and don't mention the police state, please, because what is happening is in NOBODY'S interest), and it's not actually fear, because I haven't seen any scenes of panic but is AWARENESS of the threat. And the threat is REAL.

Quote:
Unfortunately, real detailed data is just not being disseminated. If anyone has hard, drilled down data on the Italian situation - please post. The most informed report I have seen was that the average age of those who died was 80 years old, but there was nothing on any preexisting co-morbidity conditions.
You want hard data? This is a good place to start, Johns Hopkins:
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

This is for Italy, instead, one of the leading newspapers with data from the National Health Institute:
https://lab.gedidigital.it/gedi-visu...agi-in-italia/

the general figures have been just updated, but some of the graphs, which I am attaching below, still refer to the figures of a couple of days ago.

The first graph shows the official figures for today, it's in Italian, but very easy to understand. The second one shows positive cases sorted by age group and you can see the the numbers for 50-59 group are almost the same as those in the 70-79 group, so IT ISN’T an “old people disease”. The third one shows deaths by age group and yes, most occur in the 70-89 age group, but there have been more than 300 deaths in the 60-69 group. These are 300 PEOPLE, with families, jobs, lives. Some had pre-existing conditions, some didn't, and SO WHAT? Maybe they could have lived for years taking their medications and spending time with their loved ones, but they couldn't, also because irresponsible people keep on saying that there is nothing to fear!

Quote:
It is incredibly irresponsible to pedal this mass fear and hysteria through the media. Then again, that's the sinister business they are in.
I have answered to this above. It is incredibly irresponsible to DOWNPLAY THE RISK. I haven't even seen any mass hysteria here, not even panic buying, just people queuing for their turn outside supermarkets and pharmacies, not because they are full but just because they let in few at a time. And, I am probably dumb, but I don't see what the media would gain by generating mass hysteria.

Quote:
Open the window in the sunshine and talk to your neighbor clear across the street
We do that already. But it doesn't mean that we can forget the threat.

Quote:
As far as people being fearful of being alone goes ..... excuse me - what ?! what a fantastic opportunity !
Some of the most beautifully memorable times in my life have been when I was in the Himalayas by myself, and ...... nothing - not a person to be seen in any direction - just complete silence
Do you REALLY think that lonely, frail, elderly people, whose only distraction was maybe going out and sit on a park bench with their friends and chat the afternoon away, will find being confined at home ON THEIR OWN a FANTASTIC opportunity???? What a callous, insensitive thing to say!

Can you REALLY compare it to being on HOLIDAY????

These people have been stuck indoors for two weeks now and may be for at least another month, maybe more, you think that's relaxing?

Quote:
I think it's ridiculous when people are prevented (or self restrained) from going for a walk by themselves, or for a ride on their duke; I have even heard folks here say they wouldn't go birding at their regular spots just in case they tripped over and needed rescuing and hospital attention
I said it somewhere else, You can't let people do distancing by themselves, because everyone will have a different standard. I can go for a walk in the forest and not meet anyone, but someone else will go for a walk in a busy street and meet/infect lots of people. You need a general rule that applies to everyone and it's simple to follow and it's this: STAY AT HOME, no personal interpretations. And yes, riding a bike is discouraged because hospitals ARE already overwhelmed, and if they have to treat your concussion, broken leg, it will delay help for somebody who may need it more than you.

Quote:
I have no answer to this.

Please, go away with your nonsense. Today almost 800 people died in Italy.

And apologies to everybody for the rant. I promise it will be the last one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	graph21-3.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	721750  Click image for larger version

Name:	graph1.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	721751  Click image for larger version

Name:	graph2.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	721752  

Last edited by 3Italianbirders : Saturday 21st March 2020 at 18:03.

BF Supporter 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 18:40   #55
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Italianbirders

Please, go away with your nonsense. Today almost 800 people died in Italy.

Perfectly understandable given the comments you were responding to.

I would urge everyone to follow their governments advice

It’s totally irresponsible to do otherwise or to advise others to in such a misinformed and arrogant manner. I’m also very angry that people are being decried for trying to protect themselves AND more importantly making every effort to protect those who are more vulnerable.

My 89 year old Mum in the heart of densely packed London is effectively ‘isolated’ and unable to go out at a time in the very autumn of her life. She will be on her own for Mother’s Day and none of us can visit her. The pain our family is feeling about that right now is very real.

I
http://www.osme.org
Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 18:54   #56
tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Italianbirders View Post
These are 300 PEOPLE, with families, jobs, lives. Some had pre-existing conditions, some didn't, and SO WHAT? Maybe they could have lived for years taking their medications and spending time with their loved ones, but they couldn't, also because irresponsible people keep on saying that there is nothing to fear!
Fear is a tricky business. Some could arguably use more of it, others are in danger of being overwhelmed by it. You had better let them manage it themselves. As to facts, all the Western governments have let this virus spread and there is no cure, so some people are going to die (and we don't even understand which yet). It is unfortunate. So are many of the countermeasures now being taken, whose consequences could prove even worse than the virus.

Quote:
It is incredibly irresponsible to DOWNPLAY THE RISK. I haven't even seen any mass hysteria here, not even panic buying, just people queuing for their turn outside supermarkets and pharmacies, not because they are full but just because they let in few at a time. And, I am probably dumb, but I don't see what the media would gain by generating mass hysteria.
There's a useful distinction between talking about risk or threat, and about fear. I didn't see Chosun downplay risk. And fear does cause problems. Panic buying (of the exact same items curiously enough) seems to be almost everywhere, so your town is some sort of lovely exception. And what the media (including social media) have to gain from hysteria has been obvious for a long time now: eyeballs and clicks. At a time like this it's especially disgusting.

Quote:
What a callous, insensitive thing to say!
This kind of condemnation is what killed any possibility of discussion in the thread I came here from. Let people have and manage their own reactions to the crisis. Then they may also take some interest in yours.

Most of us are on edge at a time like this, with a lot of fear and confusion and outright bungling -- I know I am -- so it really would be nice to have a chance for serious discussion here, with others with whom we have something important in common. The situation is still evolving daily, and some views may even have to be revised. In the meantime I find it useful to hear them. That didn't work in the other thread, and may not even here in RF, but it's worth a try.

Last edited by tenex : Saturday 21st March 2020 at 19:02.
Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 18:56   #57
Steve

Quote:
Even if you are formally isolating from normal social interaction and physical contact with other people /the environment, or even in full-on lock down, I would be terming it something emotionally unloaded such as SPATIAL distancing which encompasses everything from prescribed minimums all the way to a village away or whatever. Advice /laws are different in different countries due to the different stages of progression /strategies. Folks should remember that.

It wouldn't be too hard to imagine someone glued to the rolling news coverage and endless opinion Keeling over through sheer fear if they ever had to go to hospital, see all the hazmat suits etc, and then got a prognosis negative diagnosis .......

Unfortunately, real detailed data is just not being disseminated. If anyone has hard, drilled down data on the Italian situation - please post. The most informed report I have seen was that the average age of those who died was 80 years old, but there was nothing on any preexisting co-morbidity conditions. It is incredibly irresponsible to pedal this mass fear and hysteria through the media. Then again, that's the sinister business they are in.

So far there are 4/1000ths of a % of the global population infected. No matter what local position you find yourself in, I don't want anyone to be frightened (though don't judge them if they are). Open the window in the sunshine and talk to your neighbor clear across the street - it was fantastic to see the nearby villagers who from their balconies /windows applauded hospital staff who had come out on the street to acknowledge that

I think it's ridiculous when people are prevented (or self restrained) from going for a walk by themselves, or for a ride on their duke; I have even heard folks here say they wouldn't go birding at their regular spots just in case they tripped over and needed rescuing and hospital attention - excuse me again - what ?! That's just fear people, plain and simple (with maybe a bit of 21st Century OH&S illogical risk aversion thrown in for good measure) .....

I think the biggest danger in this whole ordeal is if one more talking head on tellie mentions the 'new normal' again - I may just put my foot through the TV ! It's got to the ridiculous stage now where in best Ozzie fashion, the news reporters have even abbreviated it to the 'new norm' ........ ! for goodness sake !
This is our 'known knowns, known unknowns, and unknown unknowns' moment ........ and we all know what a great big fat war crime lie that turned out to be, don't we.

Chosun
I Think your way out of your depth here, sometimes it is better to pass on some threads, and this is one of them.
Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 19:02   #58
Xenospiza
Undescribed

Quote:
No need to apologise at all. She should have been banned a long time ago...

I have colleagues in Bergamo province who are keeping their plant running (the last one on the industrial site), which is only allowed because we make latex for gloves. So no "io resto a casa" for them, which must be very stressful.
And that's nothing to what the people working in the local hospitals must go through...

I'm also very concerned about what will happen in the Netherlands in the next few weeks - I expect that in a week, all respiratory equipment will be in use (the health service in the Netherlands is about as ill-equipped as that in the UK, if slightly better organised).
Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 19:40   #59
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Wink

Quote:
..... the callous advice about staying happy .....
..... What a callous, insensitive thing to say! .....
....Please, go away with your nonsense....
Look 3IB you've made a very good job of misunderstanding what I was saying, and attributed things to me that I never intended (don't worry - you're not the first .... I am a different kettle of fish that's for sure, and the leap is sometimes too far for folks to make. That's ok - it is what it is). You might also consider the judgements and reactions you've then made from that.

Those things are inconsequential to me (it's not my first rodeo) , but the effect on you and your state of mind (and -> health) is my only concern.

I'm not sure if your life path has been native English speaker that has learnt Italian, or vice versa - but your English expression and grammar is excellent so I doubt the crossed wires occur there. (My Italian rapidly runs out of puff not far past Brio, Forza, and Bellissima ....). I can understand that this is a stressful time for everyone, and with Italy being one of the epicentres of the world, even moreso. I too have parents.

Thanks for links - I will set about translations tomorrow - I am interested in the root cause reasons of why the death rates in Italy seems many times elsewhere. It's certainly not discussed on mainstream television. That's why I say they are more interested in perpetuating fear than facts (as a business model that is cheaper for them, to give just one answer to your question).

If someone reacts with when another merely encourages that person to try and be happy, it tells me there is unease in that person's spirit.

If you have a moment I would like you (or anyone) to ask yourselves how you are in this very second that you read this. Not what you know of what has happened in the past, nor how you feel about it. Just this very second. Nor consider thoughts of the future, or the feelings that arise from those thoughts and the difference between those and the subconsciously desired future reality. Consider neither past nor future - just this moment. This very second. Are you safe in this second and this second alone ? Are you alive ? Are you healthy in this very second alone ? Now, just now - breathe .........Yes, then relax in this very second, for surely that is something to be happy about :)

Wishing you and your family all the best

Chosun

Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 19:45   #60
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post
Fear is a tricky business. Some could arguably use more of it, others are in danger of being overwhelmed by it. You had better let them manage it themselves. As to facts, all the Western governments have let this virus spread and there is no cure, so some people are going to die (and we don't even understand which yet). It is unfortunate. So are many of the countermeasures now being taken, whose consequences could prove even worse than the virus.

There's a useful distinction between talking about risk or threat, and about fear. I didn't see Chosun downplay risk. And fear does cause problems. Panic buying (of the exact same items curiously enough) seems to be almost everywhere, so your town is some sort of lovely exception. And what the media (including social media) have to gain from hysteria has been obvious for a long time now: eyeballs and clicks. At a time like this it's especially disgusting.

This kind of condemnation is what killed any possibility of discussion in the thread I came here from. Let people have and manage their own reactions to the crisis. Then they may also take some interest in yours.

Most of us are on edge at a time like this, with a lot of fear and confusion and outright bungling -- I know I am -- so it really would be nice to have a chance for serious discussion here, with others with whom we have something important in common. The situation is still evolving daily, and some views may even have to be revised. In the meantime I find it useful to hear them. That didn't work in the other thread, and may not even here in RF, but it's worth a try.
Exceptionally well said. Very astute and measured.

Chosun

Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 20:28   #61
Deb Burhinus

I would just like to say if people are feeling fear, anxiety, grief, loneliness - it’s really OK to have these feelings which are very normal human responses to enormity of what’s going on in the world right now. It is never an act of compassion to invalidate the emotional experiences of others and attempts to do so can make people very angry compounding any distress they could be going through. (I'm owning my anger right now )

This for me is ‘wisdom’:

“ If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing”

PS - There is a large Fortnum & Masons hamper on the way to my Mum as we speak, full of her favourite foods - even just imagining her face when she receives it is enough to lift me as was the sound of a Blackbird singing on my shed roof this morning.
Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 23:50   #62
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Burhinus View Post
Quote:
“ If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing”
I like that.
Self-evidently inseparable anyway, but a good check and balance in nice prose ....
Who was the author ?

Chosun

Old Sunday 22nd March 2020, 00:08   #63
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
I like that.
Self-evidently inseparable anyway, but a good check and balance in nice prose ....
Who was the author ?
I have a feeling you're not going to like it ...

Old Sunday 22nd March 2020, 04:59   #64
Scridifer
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
I like that.
Who was the author ?

Chosun

St. Paul, 1st Letter to the Corinthians, chapter 13.

Chris

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 22nd March 2020, 06:18   #65
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
I would just like to say if people are feeling fear, anxiety, grief, loneliness - it’s really OK to have these feelings which are very normal human responses to enormity of what’s going on in the world right now. It is never an act of compassion to invalidate the emotional experiences of others and attempts to do so can make people very angry compounding any distress they could be going through. (I'm owning my anger right now )

This for me is ‘wisdom’:

PS - There is a large Fortnum & Masons hamper on the way to my Mum as we speak, full of her favourite foods - even just imagining her face when she receives it is enough to lift me as was the sound of a Blackbird singing on my shed roof this morning.
Thanks for that Deb, a Happy Mothering Sunday to all Mums
Old Sunday 22nd March 2020, 08:32   #66
Scridifer
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
Thanks for that Deb, a Happy Mothering Sunday to all Mums
Amen to that!

Chris

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 23rd March 2020, 17:24   #67
tenex

Quote:
If you have a moment I would like you (or anyone) to ask yourselves how you are in this very second that you read this. Not what you know of what has happened in the past, nor how you feel about it. Just this very second. Nor consider thoughts of the future, or the feelings that arise from those thoughts and the difference between those and the subconsciously desired future reality. Consider neither past nor future - just this moment. This very second. Are you safe in this second and this second alone ? Are you alive ? Are you healthy in this very second alone ?
Chosun, you've summarized the way people tend to misunderstand you (as I also have at times) very well. And you keep sounding better the second time around when you take more care not to play around and invite misunderstanding. Here you've hit on the real challenge of the moment. All of us so don't want any of this to be happening to anybody, whether we're focused on the deaths or the wider damage of the countermeasures. And we can wear ourselves out mentally fighting the reality of it, as I know I have for the past couple of weeks. How is it possible to be in the present moment with something we want to reject entirely, that we feel shouldn't be happening, and is also being mismanaged, etc etc? I'm not doing too well with that yet myself, but I know I'll feel better and be more effective if I keep trying. Presence is needed now more than ever.

Edit: I have to add that when I do feel more grounded lately, I feel enormous sadness over all this rather than happiness. But that's a lot more real than the anger that usually keeps my thoughts running in circles.

Last edited by tenex : Monday 23rd March 2020 at 19:58.
Old Monday 23rd March 2020, 19:09   #68
John Cantelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sweetland View Post
We've set up a virtual pub on zoom where you can pretend to be in a pub and video chat with whoever wants to turn up. Just done it last two nights and it's been hilarious. You have no idea who's going to turn up, or from what country. It's just like a real pub, with friends of friends meeting each other etc. The people on total lockdown in Spain certainly appreciated it. BYO though :-)
Amongst the disappointing amount of bickering at the start of this thread, Larry's comment stands out as a sensible, helpful & positive suggestion. How do I find this e-pub & what are its opening times?

I'm into my second week of self-isolation having had a very mild chestiness & still more mild cough. Fortunately, I've sufficient food, etc - it's astonishing how much you have stashed away in cupboards that you'd quite forgotten about. When I emerge from my seclusion, however, I worry that the supermarket strippers will have left nothing behind and also that by that time I won't go for that walk in green spaces that I so desire.

Living in an innercity terraced house with a small walled garden with no views I'm finding it very hard. My struggle with staying in my small house all the time is compounded by other issues that needn't detain anyone (but some here will be able to guess). I'm lucky though, not to be living in a flat without a balcony. However, my biggest source of anxiety isn't the immediate impact of this virus, chilling as that is, but the longer-term social and economic consequences. The curse of being an historian I guess.

My greatest hope is that this experience will make us all, particularly leading politicians realise that, as clever and as technologically capable we have become, we are still not immune from natural disasters of this order and that we can learn from the short-comings this crisis has revealed. I'm finding too that social media is both a benefit and a curse, It's a great way to keep in touch but also a source of much depressing news. I fear for many but my greatest concern is for my American friends who, for political, social & cultural reasons, this is looking like the 'perfect storm'.

Re-reading this I apologise that it comes over as more of a Jeremiad than I had intended. I know I'm lucky to have the support of my family, many friends (within & without the birding world), ex-students & neighbours. But the question posed, "How is the CORVID virus affecting you?", requires an honest answer. Keep safe & keep well.

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Monday 23rd March 2020, 19:13   #69
Steve

There are a few things about to appear on BF in the coming days to take away some of the cabin fever, if anyone else has an idea let us know and we can start a thread or open a forum.

Steve
Old Monday 23rd March 2020, 22:34   #70
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chapman View Post
...the guidance attached ...
All the best https://www.birdforum.net/newreply.p...reply&t=386949
Paul
Thanks for posting (what I assume, is now the definitive interpretation of ‘social distancing’ measures?) on another thread, very helpful.

Now I’m going to have a vent ... because even the Gvt’s newly restricted ‘social distancing’ protocol is going to be no panacea ..

I got punched really hard in the arm and shouted at this morning waiting for the supermarket to open, as a crazy man accused me of jumping the queue. He didnt have a trolley but used the fact that I did as a cause for vitriole The irony was, there was plenty for everyone (including loo rolls!) but in the preceeding scrum to get through the doors (and then long queues at the till as 70 people finished their shopping all at the same time) people were barely a foot apart let alone two metres and the air of passive aggression going around the shop was palpable as people attempted to distance themselves from other shoppers.

When did it start feeling like you were taking your life into your hands, just walking to the local supermarket and doing some early morning shopping?

The fact I’m even struggling not to get stressed out by the above is a testament to how little birding or (conservation) work I’m doing and knowing I can’t get to a nature reserve or up to the coast for migrants this spring - (I don’t drive and public transport is out) and everytime I step out the front door, I’m met with (albeit thinner) crowds of people revelling in a misguided sense of this being an extended pubic holiday...and every time I step out the back door, the neighbours kids doing the same, except far more noisily...

I can’t believe it’s only been a week so far ...

However, in what might still turn out to be a futile effort in self-help, I did buy an excercise bike today off Amazon to replace the daily cycle rides to work - lets see it turns up! (and how long I’ll keep it up for when it does).

In the spirit of Steve’s efforts to keep us calm, think I’ll start a new birding blog :“Birds Seen from an Excercise Bike”

Does anyone know if you need a licence to set up a virtual bar? -

Oops just seen Larry’s post above - sigh - great minds tho’
and John’s reply - John we hear ya!

Last edited by Deb Burhinus : Monday 23rd March 2020 at 22:43.
Old Monday 23rd March 2020, 22:46   #71
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
I got punched really hard in the arm and shouted at this morning waiting for the supermarket to open, as a crazy man accused me of jumping the queue.
That's nasty . . . but you can always just cough at him
Old Monday 23rd March 2020, 23:08   #72
Sancho
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
There are a few things about to appear on BF in the coming days to take away some of the cabin fever, if anyone else has an idea let us know and we can start a thread or open a forum.

Steve
I've started uploading videos of me giving five minute Tai Chi Qi Gong lessons for my school students, to keep them healthy and reduce stress. On our MS site. I've no problem uploading them here. The internet is full of them, but my schoolkids are more likely to 'engage' if they know it's me. No philosophy, no Carl Douglas Kung-Fu Fighting suits (younger BF members, it was the 1970's, you had to be there), just stuff to keep you healthy, happy and relaxed while stuck indoors for....(let's see....my Chinese niece and nephew are on their 8th week). We're all in this together.
Massive respect to you, Steve. Great idea!

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 03:40   #73
litebeam

Absolute tragedy happening in Italy and everywhere.
Still hard to comprehend.

My wife was very lucky to make it home from her work in the high arctic last week. Many cancelled flights, etc.
We're at day ten of 14 days in quarantine, and will likely remain so indefinitely because we really don't need to go anywhere...

People need to understand the implications of passing this virus on to the high risk among us.

Last edited by litebeam : Tuesday 24th March 2020 at 03:46.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 05:49   #74
andyadcock

UK media is really milking it with headlines of 'lockdown' and worse from the Sun 'House arrest' but people can go out, SENSIBLY. I took my baby out yesterday to a small local park, we were the only ones there but even if there had been others, social distancing would have been applied.

The way the media write, evokes terminator style visions of drones patroling the streets, despatching anyone they find with a blast from a laser.

We live in an age where there are so many things we can do from home, I'm glad we're not in the 60's, 70's or even 80's. There are video games, tv box sets, online exercise routines and Skype, you could even do some reading.

Stay safe all and be sensible.

Last edited by andyadcock : Tuesday 24th March 2020 at 05:52.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 06:29   #75
Troubador

Being a diabetic (although only mild and well controlled by medication not insulin) and also having a lung disease I am especially at risk so we have been trying to cut back on social exposure. It was predictable that supermarket delivery services would collapse under the strain of demand and so it has proved. Making other arrangements is a prime focus and it hasn't been easy. We have cancelled our first two trips to Scotland and expect the ones booked for September and November will have to be cancelled too although we will not do that yet.

Fortunately we are lucky to have a big back garden where birds arrive at our feeders in a steady stream all day including such gems as Long-tailed Tit and Goldcrest. Actually I should slap my own wrists for picking out those two species because they are all gems.

Spring has brought song from not only Blackbirds and Dunnocks and Chaffinches but also Mistle Thrush and Song Thrush, and a walk up the old sunken drovers' lane that I call Donkey Lane for obscure reasons lost in the past, revealed that Celandines are in flower. This is always a sign that Spring is arriving and hopefully Wood Anemones will be showing soon.

Lee
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: