Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Trolls love digging holes for people

Old Monday 30th March 2020, 20:28   #26
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN JAMES THOMPSON View Post
This is why I donít feel like posting as I know what some of the responses will be like. I donít know as much as others.
Ian.
Hi Ian.

The thing to remember is that doesn't matter. As long as you are learning, you are winning: that's the whole business of life in fact. And a post that is a question should always get a sensible answer.

Once upon a time, none of us knew anything. Finding out should be enjoyable.

I guess that's the root of trolling: taking the joy out of life, by whatever means.

John
Old Monday 30th March 2020, 20:40   #27
dantheman
Bah humbug

Erm, isn't Fugl just trolling on purpose... ?!?

We're gonna need a MUCH bigger bridge ...
Old Monday 30th March 2020, 20:47   #28
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Erm, isn't Fugl just trolling on purpose... ?!?

We're gonna need a MUCH bigger bridge ...
I'm starting to think what we really need is a GREAT BIG BILLY GOAT....

John
Old Monday 30th March 2020, 21:02   #29
Steve

You are over thinking this, the problem is that the keyboard is so impersonal, you can insult someone very readily without knowing your doing it, emoji's are supposed to help but they are not sufficient if you are dealing with someone who is less able to grasp the situation than you.

I have been around forums for a long time and I have in one form or another had interaction with every sort of person on the planet, the majority are just wanting a quiet life and try to get along with everyone, then you get the people who like to argue every point because they think they are smarter than the people they are replying to, then you get the sensation seekers, they like to grab attention and write mostly billix looking for a reaction, after this you have the Key board warriors, who want to beat the crap out of you and tell you just that, trouble is when you turn up at oh I don't know say the Birdfair they make themselves very scarce behind stands when they see you coming, then you have the people who really have problems in their life outside of the internet, they usually appear late at night pissed as a hand cart telling everyone about what's going on in their life and no one is listening or cares, then you get the ones on medication for all manner of reasons, depression, anxiety etc... no matter what you say to them its usually never enough and it can become personal by PM or mail,some really do need to seek professional help and i'm not joking when I say there are genuine cases of self harm and worse that we have had to deal with.

I feel sorry for the shy people who lurk for months then pluck up enough courage to post a picture and ask a question, they are immediately shot down in flames by the usual suspects who know" its a leucistic blackbird" then congratulate themselves on telling another "blue tit stroker" then carry on patrolling the forums looking for another victim.

Some on this forum your so called "hard core birders" call this turd forum or other names because its cool to do so,
they wouldn't be seen dead on here,............until ? ........a rare bird turns up then there they are, all of them all with false names or aliases all glued to the Rare Bird section all scared to death in case they are rumbled!!? if someone dares to post a picture and its not a magpie or a blackbird then they all shut up shop like those things on rocks in the sea that disappear if you touch them, god forbid they could have a stab at the bird because they don't want to be seen posting on BF and god forbid their precious reputation would be in tatters if they got it wrong, well I got news for them, no one gives a fat rats arse, its a hobby or interest, not an operating theatre.

So in all the years I have administered sites I have tried to be fair and not to get to close to the members, I was when I was younger much less patient than I am now, and I hit the ban button far to liberally at one time, but as one gets older things like this become less important, and who really gives a damn once you have logged off for the night.

The world is full of different people and as in life you choose who you want to be friends or associate with, truth is I would probably like most if not all of you in the real world, but on here i don't give you a second thought after I log off, in fact its sometimes a chore to log on to read all the reported post's.

Bottom line is its all about toleration for all the personality types on here, seriously we are not to bothered about he says she says, we can't all agree with each other and thats what a forum is all about, BUT if you see outright bullying or you feel you are being bullied then drop me or any of the moderators a line, we can sort it one way or the other.

Finally try and remember in the scheme of things especially in todays world, that this forum or for that matter any forum is not a matter of life or death, it is a group of people passing the time talking about things that interest the thats all ?!

Switch off look at the news then come back here happy that you can.

Rant over

Steve
Old Monday 30th March 2020, 21:49   #30
Farnboro John

That's a great big Billy goat!

Good rant.

Cheers

John
Old Monday 30th March 2020, 22:31   #31
fugl
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Erm, isn't Fugl just trolling on purpose... ?!? .
Not all back-and-forth argumentation is trolling, you know, though what you’ve just posted here most certainly is (and, as you see, I’ve taken the hook) and also perhaps what I’m writing now. The ball's now back in your court. . ..

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Monday 30th March 2020 at 23:34.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 31st March 2020, 03:05   #32
Pariah
Stealth Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
You are over thinking this, the problem is that the keyboard is so impersonal, you can insult someone very readily without knowing your doing it, emoji's are supposed to help but they are not sufficient if you are dealing with someone who is less able to grasp the situation than you.

I have been around forums for a long time and I have in one form or another had interaction with every sort of person on the planet, the majority are just wanting a quiet life and try to get along with everyone, then you get the people who like to argue every point because they think they are smarter than the people they are replying to, then you get the sensation seekers, they like to grab attention and write mostly billix looking for a reaction, after this you have the Key board warriors, who want to beat the crap out of you and tell you just that, trouble is when you turn up at oh I don't know say the Birdfair they make themselves very scarce behind stands when they see you coming, then you have the people who really have problems in their life outside of the internet, they usually appear late at night pissed as a hand cart telling everyone about what's going on in their life and no one is listening or cares, then you get the ones on medication for all manner of reasons, depression, anxiety etc... no matter what you say to them its usually never enough and it can become personal by PM or mail,some really do need to seek professional help and i'm not joking when I say there are genuine cases of self harm and worse that we have had to deal with.

I feel sorry for the shy people who lurk for months then pluck up enough courage to post a picture and ask a question, they are immediately shot down in flames by the usual suspects who know" its a leucistic blackbird" then congratulate themselves on telling another "blue tit stroker" then carry on patrolling the forums looking for another victim.

Some on this forum your so called "hard core birders" call this turd forum or other names because its cool to do so,
they wouldn't be seen dead on here,............until ? ........a rare bird turns up then there they are, all of them all with false names or aliases all glued to the Rare Bird section all scared to death in case they are rumbled!!? if someone dares to post a picture and its not a magpie or a blackbird then they all shut up shop like those things on rocks in the sea that disappear if you touch them, god forbid they could have a stab at the bird because they don't want to be seen posting on BF and god forbid their precious reputation would be in tatters if they got it wrong, well I got news for them, no one gives a fat rats arse, its a hobby or interest, not an operating theatre.

So in all the years I have administered sites I have tried to be fair and not to get to close to the members, I was when I was younger much less patient than I am now, and I hit the ban button far to liberally at one time, but as one gets older things like this become less important, and who really gives a damn once you have logged off for the night.

The world is full of different people and as in life you choose who you want to be friends or associate with, truth is I would probably like most if not all of you in the real world, but on here i don't give you a second thought after I log off, in fact its sometimes a chore to log on to read all the reported post's.

Bottom line is its all about toleration for all the personality types on here, seriously we are not to bothered about he says she says, we can't all agree with each other and thats what a forum is all about, BUT if you see outright bullying or you feel you are being bullied then drop me or any of the moderators a line, we can sort it one way or the other.

Finally try and remember in the scheme of things especially in todays world, that this forum or for that matter any forum is not a matter of life or death, it is a group of people passing the time talking about things that interest the thats all ?!

Rant over

Steve

Brilliant stuff. And very true. I too admin a forum, and recognise many of those character types you've listed.

In particular I find the " turdforum" crowd hilarious. The amount of them out there that will scream turdforum when something doesn't go their way...only to wander back the next day.

Keep up the good work.

Owen
Old Tuesday 31st March 2020, 03:39   #33
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post

Rant over

Steve
Thanks for the insights into your world Steve
No doubt some broad spectrum sunscreen will help through the summer months (curiously !)

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 31st March 2020, 03:59   #34
dries1

That was am enjoyable post Steve. I also remember your post, "Warning for a few" from 2014 on the binocular forum, which still brings a smile every time I read it.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 31st March 2020, 06:28   #35
Hermann

Great post, Steve.

I've also been around a long time. (Anyone still remember Usenet? Long, long before web-based forums came along?) I fully agree with your analysis of the various character types. Brilliant!

Hermann
Old Tuesday 31st March 2020, 06:49   #36
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN JAMES THOMPSON View Post
This is why I donít feel like posting as I know what some of the responses will be like. I donít know as much as others.
Ian.
Ian

Lack of knowledge isn't a crime. Everyone was a beginner once. Not everyone digs as deep into a subject as other people. Everyone on Birdforum has limits to their knowledge.

For every person on here who might make an unkind comment or 'joke' about your lack of knowledge there are 10 or more who will be glad to help and explain.

And sometimes what feels like an unkind remark can actually be good-natured teasing designed to make light of a mistake or knowledge gap but comes across as sarcastic simply because on-line there are only the words without all of the clues that come with voice, hand gestures, facial expressions and body language.

Rest assured there are many more folks on Birdforum who are glad to see you post than those who simply see an opportunity for unwarranted remarks.

Lee
Old Tuesday 31st March 2020, 08:23   #37
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugl View Post
Not all back-and-forth argumentation is trolling, you know, though what youíve just posted here most certainly is (and, as you see, Iíve taken the hook) and also perhaps what Iím writing now. The ball's now back in your court. . ..
... and I thought I was probably a) jumping to a (reasonable) conclusion or b) just jossing with you.

Old Tuesday 31st March 2020, 17:01   #38
tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugl View Post
Coat-trailing. Did you pay any attention to what I just said about growing up?
So that's putting "the ball", as you say, "in my court"? I don't think I understand the game.

Last edited by tenex : Tuesday 31st March 2020 at 17:07.
Old Tuesday 31st March 2020, 17:12   #39
fugl
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post
So that's putting "the ball", as you say, "in my court"? I don't think I understand the game.
Me neither

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: