• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (2 Viewers)

I have somewhere, a b&w photo of PZ865 that I took circa 1964/5 at Biggin Hill. She was taxying through the crowd - yes through the crowd, from her static display position to runway! Can you imagine H&S letting that happen today :eek!:

At that time she wore her "Last of the Many" signature

I have somewhere, a b&w photo of PZ865 that I took circa 1964/5 at Biggin Hill. She was taxying through the crowd - yes through the crowd, from her static display position to runway! Can you imagine H&S letting that happen today :eek!:

At that time she wore her "Last of the Many" signature

No I can't!

Until 1972 she was still owned by Hawker Siddeley Aviation Ltd (= BAC later) after which she was gifted to BBMF. Until then I think she would have worn the temperate sea scheme with, as you say, "The Last of the Many" on the side.

John

I won't post these either! ;)

John

Lynx Wildcat
Merlin

Attachments

• 2014_08_31_Bournemouth (39)Lynx_Wildcat (800x533).jpg
    2014_08_31_Bournemouth (39)Lynx_Wildcat (800x533).jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 2014_08_31_Bournemouth (45)_Merlin (800x533).jpg
    2014_08_31_Bournemouth (45)_Merlin (800x533).jpg
    118 KB · Views: 45
And I'm not coming back then to say that there are some helicopter hypocrites on this thread! I never did so, did I?

Elu

I don't mind pictures of them, I just don't like flying in them! At least in a plane if the engine stops you still have wings to glide with.

John

Come on, you've got autorotation what more do you want?!! ;-)

My wife bought be a lesson in a 'copter last Xmas, I still have not done it, but I think it is a guilty pleasure!

Come on, you've got autorotation what more do you want?!! ;-)

My wife bought be a lesson in a 'copter last Xmas, I still have not done it, but I think it is a guilty pleasure!

If they put you in one of those dreadful little Robinson things, be aware that a number of fatalities in them have been attributed to them being too light to autorotate: if the engine stops get the nose down to generate forward speed at once and you might just get away with it. But don't take my word for it, get the proper reports.

John

Wings? What for?!

I don't mind pictures of them, I just don't like flying in them! At least in a plane if the engine stops you still have wings to glide with.

John

Autorotation or no autorotation ..... why make any fuss about emergency landing at all? A few of us less, and the better for all - or have I misunderstood something here? Or maybe it depends on who sits in that helicopter .....?

I really don't understand now ..... but then I've been a rather slow child and things have not become any better with time.

Elu

Autorotation or no autorotation ..... why make any fuss about emergency landing at all? A few of us less, and the better for all - or have I misunderstood something here? Or maybe it depends on who sits in that helicopter .....?

I really don't understand now ..... but then I've been a rather slow child and things have not become any better with time.

Elu

Shocking. All those petrochemicals etc released into the environment! There must be a better way....;)

John

Endangered species

Shocking. All those petrochemicals etc released into the environment! There must be a better way....;)

John

You forgot to mention one thing: Helicopters are really a rare species among vehicles and even among aircraft. Protect them by putting them in the museum! And when the oil reserves are finally done, there will be a real danger of extinction - which brings me back to my initial post on this thread, #174. (Somehow all that does not relate to the question of who sits in the aircraft while it's crashing, but never mind ...... we are not being pedantic here.)

Elu

You forgot to mention one thing: Helicopters are really a rare species among vehicles and even among aircraft. Protect them by putting them in the museum! And when the oil reserves are finally done, there will be a real danger of extinction - which brings me back to my initial post on this thread, #174. (Somehow all that does not relate to the question of who sits in the aircraft while it's crashing, but never mind ...... we are not being pedantic here.)

Elu

You're getting the hang of this: welcome to BirdForum!

John

Blimey got another garden lifer today, Boeing 727

"Plane Garden List"... interesting! Surely you all must think my time living in Tucson is wasted, with Davis-Monthan Air Force Base here there are all manner of old war planes flying overhead every day. And then there's the Tucson Police Dept. helicopter, it circles a busy intersection near our house almost nightly...

I don't currently have a strong interest in the different types of planes, but I've always had, I think, a subconscious fascination with flight. When I was a child I remember being asked to list my top three career choices, I wrote down Pilot as my third.

One of my dreams was to visit DMAFB. In 2008 I managed to include it on a family holiday and sadly I found the 'tour' really dull as it just drove around to a kind of 'museum' of examples of some of the 'planes there. I wanted to drive along the lines of C5As and C141s and F4s but it was not to be, horrible disappointing, may as well have looked around the museum at the tour base.

Driving there through the magnificent desert with those fantastic Saguro Cacti I did see in the distance the place with all the old airliners, I bet that would be interesting to visit, though not sure if you can get in there.

One of my dreams was to visit DMAFB. In 2008 I managed to include it on a family holiday and sadly I found the 'tour' really dull as it just drove around to a kind of 'museum' of examples of some of the 'planes there. I wanted to drive along the lines of C5As and C141s and F4s but it was not to be, horrible disappointing, may as well have looked around the museum at the tour base.

Driving there through the magnificent desert with those fantastic Saguro Cacti I did see in the distance the place with all the old airliners, I bet that would be interesting to visit, though not sure if you can get in there.

I've seen pictures of the Boneyard taken from helicopter tours which do indeed allow amazing views of the rows of mothballed and scrap-bound warplanes. Thats the way to do it.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back