Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Trolls love digging holes for people

Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 14:08   #1
Deb Burhinus

Trolls love digging holes for people

With a nearly a third of the World’s population in lockdown, people more than ever, are turning to online forums and social media to stay connected and to alleviate the anxieties, frustrations and boredom of these present times.

Online trolling may not have the devastating effects of actual bullying but it can still cause annoyance, distress and even pain when online chats and posts turn into acrimonious attacks on a person’s personality, their mental capacity, or repeated comments designed to crush, humiliate and/or show up the recipient in order to detract from the subject matter and provoke an emotional response. I think many of us have experienced what is like to be at the receiving end of some of that even if for some, it was only a minor annoyance but for others, may have ended up causing them to shut down their social media or leave a membership forum.

For me (and hopefully for others) it would be very helpful to hear other people’s experiences if any, of being at the receiving end of online trolling (please no names, keep it general!) or how you have managed to avoid it.

1. How would people define ‘trolling’, ‘flaming’?
2. What tactics have you used to defeat and diffuse trolling?
3. What advice could help others who find themselves in similar situations?

Some basic reading: (feel free to add more)

https://unlcms.unl.edu/engineering/j...t-social-media

Please, this is not about Birdforum (which is excellently moderated btw) so no passive aggressive remarks about any member on BF (we are likely to know who you are talking about anyway!).
http://www.osme.org
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 14:20   #2
dries1

I think ignoring them (trolls) is a good idea.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 14:46   #3
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

yes, anyone who consistently annoys or posts things you believe are aggressive, then just ignore, or block.
Birdforum is pretty good like you say.

But, birdforum is unlike other social media places in that you join and see everything. Facebook and twitter, you join and see nothing, then get your feeds based on who you follow. BF would perhaps be easier to filter down to what is interesting if it was based on posts from those you follow.
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 16:50   #4
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

The other thing I notice on here, worse than other sites, is the forensic analysis of posts, people looking for something, anything to disagree with. That puts me off posting quite often. (You wouldn't think so judging by my output in the last week). Often I read a post back, and think it's just not worth contributing, and delete. That can't be good.
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 17:05   #5
interoception

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.jones View Post
The other thing I notice on here, worse than other sites, is the forensic analysis of posts, people looking for something, anything to disagree with. That puts me off posting quite often. (You wouldn't think so judging by my output in the last week). Often I read a post back, and think it's just not worth contributing, and delete. That can't be good.
particularly when it comes to discussing binoculars it seems

no idea why such a heated topic
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 18:25   #6
IAN JAMES THOMPSON

Quote:
I’ve started threads as well as posting items in threads started by others as well on here and some of the posts have made fun of my threads as well as my posts in threads started by others and I agree with what you’ve posted and just because they know more than me, which is not very pleasant and just because I have different views which is not very pleasant. Also as I’m not good with my spelling,I’ve been made fun of because of misspelt words. Another forum that I’m a member of as well, to do with birdwatching and that forum is far more friendly and no one tries to forensic analysis of posts and no one looks for anything to disagree with any other member
Ian.

Last edited by IAN JAMES THOMPSON : Sunday 29th March 2020 at 18:44.
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 19:53   #7
andyadcock

Quote:
Liberal views are the only ones tolerated here and I know for a fact from pers coms that numerous posters are put off opining because of the backlash they know they'll get.

Ironically, the liberals are not that liberal when it comes to tolerating and respecting peoples right to a view which is different to theirs. What happens here on this site is attempted 'deplatforming'.
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 20:04   #8
IAN JAMES THOMPSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Liberal views are the only ones tolerated here and I know for a fact from pers coms that numerous posters are put off opining because of the backlash they know they'll get.

Ironically, the liberals are not that liberal when it comes to tolerating and respecting peoples right to a view which is different to theirs. What happens here on this site is attempted 'deplatforming'.
I've not very good with my spelling and I've been teased about my spelling mistakes and there is a reason for that and i can’t help misspelling. But on a few occasions I've been made fun of with sarcasm and because i don’t know as much as others I've been teased and made to feel down and belittled and sometimes i don’t feel like posting at all, which really shouldn't happen to anyone.
Ian.

Last edited by IAN JAMES THOMPSON : Sunday 29th March 2020 at 20:07.
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 20:14   #9
Steve

This is not going to end well.
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 20:25   #10
dantheman
Bah humbug

... we're gonna need a bigger bridge?
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 21:26   #11
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post

... we're gonna need a bigger bridge?
That’s not very helpful Dan and hopefully we won’t go there - its obviously a sensitive issue and it’s ok for people to air stuff without feeling like they are going to be shut down. What would be helpful is for those who have dealt with ‘flamming’ or ‘trolling effectively themselves perhaps in the past could maybe suggest some coping strategies- its not always easy for people to ignore baiting, especially if they are already feeling vulnerable and it can deter people from making further contributions to a discussion forum or social media group.
(It’s probably helpful to remember though that arguments over topics and heated differences of opinion is not trolling but like ‘real life’ group discussions, some folk are going to be more vocal than others and some are just going to feel naturally shy even in cyber-space.
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 21:30   #12
Steve

This is not going to end well.
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 21:42   #13
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Burhinus View Post
That’s not very helpful Dan and hopefully we won’t go there
I was merely commenting that we will need a bigger bridge for us all to hide under (cf Jaws) - most have made comments on other people's posts that could be construed as trolling/insulting if the topic is going to be discussed ... was that where you thought I was going?

(Wonder if there now needs to be a Ruffed Ruffled Feathers lol?)

Quote:
Online trolling may not have the devastating effects of actual bullying
Although it can ... and sometimes it is.
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 21:43   #14
fugl
Forum Member

Quote:
Oh, the poor snowflakes. . ..

[You see, Blue Steve was right about this not ending well. ]

Last edited by fugl : Monday 30th March 2020 at 05:39.
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 21:51   #15
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post

Andy W.
Sometimes that is the only strategy - If that doesn’t work, physically stepping away from the computer, taking a ‘time out’ puts things into perspective.

My best friends daughter committed suicide a few years back - (its coming up to the 5th anniversary - she was 15 and had been subject to months of online bulling - her parents didn’t found out until it was too late - that was not a funeral any of us wanted to go to - Words Matter

Last edited by Deb Burhinus : Sunday 29th March 2020 at 21:57.
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 22:13   #16
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:

My best friends daughter committed suicide a few years back - (its coming up to the 5th anniversary - she was 15 and had been subject to months of online bulling - her parents didn’t found out until it was too late - that was not a funeral any of us wanted to go to - Words Matter
Sorry to hear that, that is really very sad, and yes, not directly relatable to somewhere like BF hopefully (which is moderated, after all)

I think from the opposite end, the answer is just 'be nice' or something like that.
Old Monday 30th March 2020, 12:58   #17
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Sorry to hear that, that is really very sad, and yes, not directly relatable to somewhere like BF hopefully (which is moderated, after all)

Thanks, yes it’s very sad.

This was never directly related to BF - I was asked to write a piece for another community online group (set up in response to the coronavirus ) and had asked one of the mods for permission to start a thread here. I was hoping that the benefit of other people’s experience was something I could pass on but didn’t think I needed to explain my motives or that generally people wouldn’t think of it as a serious enough issue to respond in kind.
Probably the wrong forum to bring it up and I was warned it may be!

Last edited by Deb Burhinus : Monday 30th March 2020 at 13:04.
Old Monday 30th March 2020, 15:55   #18
tenex

Quote:
Complete agreement. Liberalism becomes neurosis. This has become such a huge problem in society generally that it actually feeds opposition to the principles liberals are overdoing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugl View Post
Oh, the poor snowflakes. . ..
Would someone please tell me what "snowflakes" are?

Last edited by tenex : Monday 30th March 2020 at 17:01.
Old Monday 30th March 2020, 16:03   #19
tenex

Yes, this is a difficult time with some new challenges. The odd thing I've noticed about it is the extent to which it simply magnifies problems that already existed.

Quote:
1. How would people define ‘trolling’, ‘flaming’?
To me this is the crucial question. It requires knowledge of the motives and intentions of people which one is usually in no position to determine, and must be very careful about drawing inferences about. (Just a couple of months ago I was defending a new member from accusations of "trolling" myself who was being a tremendous irritation, but I still wouldn't have used that word.) Otherwise one can be tempted to dismiss any uncomfortable encounter or challenge with accusations of "trolling", which makes one a different sort of problem oneself, which we seem to have no cute term for yet.

Possibly one could simply talk to the person one needs to be talking to without going through such gyrations?

Last edited by tenex : Monday 30th March 2020 at 16:50.
Old Monday 30th March 2020, 17:10   #20
fugl
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post
...Would someone please tell me what "snowflakes" are?
Grow up. You know what the word means. . ..
Old Monday 30th March 2020, 17:13   #21
Farnboro John

Quote:
Complete agreement. Liberalism becomes neurosis. This has become such a huge problem in society generally that it actually feeds opposition to the principles liberals are overdoing.

Would someone please tell me what "snowflakes" are?
They melt when the heat is on.

John
Old Monday 30th March 2020, 17:23   #22
tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugl View Post
Grow up. You know what the word means. . ..
Did you pay any attention to what I just said about making assumptions? Why on earth would I ask if I knew?

I just looked it up (The Guardian, Wikipedia). Now I get it. And I was just saying there wasn't a cute word for this yet! Maybe I'm missing something on social media after all.
Old Monday 30th March 2020, 17:35   #23
fugl
Forum Member

Quote:
Did you pay any attention to what I just said about making assumptions? Why on earth would I ask if I knew? Why on earth would I ask if I knew?
Coat-trailing. Did you pay any attention to what I just said about growing up?

Last edited by fugl : Monday 30th March 2020 at 17:41.
Old Monday 30th March 2020, 18:02   #24
jurek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post

Andy W.
I could never understand cyber-bullying. Internet has practically unlimited number of sites and meeting places. If you don't like a person on a website, you just logout and go to another.

Concerning trolling, I am more concerned of very one-sided and inflammatory articles in 'regular' news sites and magazines, which are either clickbait or undisclosed lobbying paid by newspapers sponsors. A newspaper which acts as a lobbyist for a person or a company buying dvertisements is, for me, a bigger problem than teenagers calling each other names.
Old Monday 30th March 2020, 19:57   #25
IAN JAMES THOMPSON

This is why I don’t feel like posting as I know what some of the responses will be like. I don’t know as much as others.
Ian.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: