• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nomads of the Straits (Gibraltar) (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

I gather that there's recently been a glossy photo book published on bird migration across the Straits of Gibraltar entitled, I think, "Nomads of the Straits". Anyone seen it, know how much it is and where I might get a copy (other than Gibraltar High Street). Anyone seen it?

John

I realise that I might well be talking to myself, but in case anyone else is interested I've finally got a copy of this book. Unfortunately, it's a Christmas present so I've only had a brief glance although that was enough to make me want a copy. It's a large volume with numerous handsome photos. I didn't really have time to peruse the text, but I would suggest that anyone with an interest in SW Spain or raptors might like a copy. Unfortunately, I'm still not sure whether it's available in the UK - I got mine at the "Colectivo Ornitológico Cigüeña Negra" information point just NW of Tarifa. At 60Euros it wasn't cheap, but given the size & quality of photos not extortionate either!

John

Thanks for the info John. I'll look that up.

PS. I had a group (family group?) of 3, possibly 4 crested coots at Laguna de Medina last month. I was surprised to see that they were still showing the red knobs. Any luck there yet?

Attachments

• Crested Coot 01 copy.jpg
    Crested Coot 01 copy.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 178
  • Crested Coot 03 copy.jpg
    Crested Coot 03 copy.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 170
Re Crested Coot I had a rather poor looking individual in August, but two very good examples there last week. For whatever reason they do seem easier this year compared to 2006. I know this is going further off topic, but I also found Alpine Accentor last week at the top of Picacho (Alcornocales) where, despite what some books suggest, I suspect it's regular,
John

Umm .... only Little Swift & Rufous Bush Chat to go - actually I've the promise of being shown the latter next May by a local .....

John

I looked for little swift at Chipiona and Bolonia - no luck, but I looked up at Bolonia and had 5 Alpines and one white-rumped swift overhead. That was the last swift I saw.

Hello, I`m new to this but thought you might like to know that the book should be available in the UK before Christmas. I translated the book (and learnt a lot!) and if you are ever down this way I could perhaps introduce you to the author, Fernando Barrios, who lives in Algeciras.

Hello, I`m new to this but thought you might like to know that the book should be available in the UK before Christmas. I translated the book (and learnt a lot!) and if you are ever down this way I could perhaps introduce you to the author, Fernando Barrios, who lives in Algeciras.

Good news indeed! Thanks,

John

Can someone give me the ISBN/ean code of this book (the englisch version) , at my local bookschop thet ask me this because they can't find it. thanks

The ISBN for the English lnguage version is 84-934263-4-2
Apologies for the delay but as the book is under embargo until Christmas I had to get Mrs C to look for me. Also for some reason I coudn't log on to BF until just now!

John

Finally got hold of the book!

First impressions are very good - some, no many, of the photos are simply mouthwatering! As for the text, I've only got to p90 so far so it's too early to draw a firm conclusion, but thus far it seems a nice blend of personal anecdote and factual information. The balancing act required to keep a translation faithful to the sensibilities of the original, but not allowing the English to seem forced or clumsy must be a very difficult one. I think, though, that Mike Potts has pulled it off. However, what immediately endeared me to the book was its dedication "To those who, in search of a decent life, cross the Strait". The fate of so many hapless hopefuls is a sobering thought when contemplating the beauty of the straits, as one must when reading this book; it's good to find that not everyone has the kind of xenophobic reaction so familiar in swathes of the British press. Doubtless I will post again when I've finished it, but congratulations to Mike and the author, Fernando Barrios Partida, for producing such a fine work,

John

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back