• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some digiscoping experiments with a dslr (1 Viewer)

Jules, I finally got out and about today to try some long range shots with the 2X DOI HQ7 teleconverter. Had this thing a few months now and not tried it out in the field yet so visited my local lake today. It was blowing a gale and freezing cold so not ideal conditions. Plus what I find is that the water temperature is generally a fair few degrees higher than the air temp in the winter and you get a bit of heat haze just above the water so long range shots don't come out all that well due to imperfections in the air.

First image is from 150m approx. I have a map of my local lake with loads of distances marked off using google satellite maps so I can be fairly accurate with distances to birds on the lake. The lake is just over 400m across and the buildings in the 2nd image were on the far side, around 420m. The mechanical digger was a bit further so I'd guess around 430m to that. You can read all the writing on the digger which is pretty good for the range I think.

Paul.

Attachments

• DOI_1.jpg
    DOI_1.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 198
  • DOI_2.jpg
    DOI_2.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 159
  • DOI_3.jpg
    DOI_3.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Hey, this is much better than what I was able to do with the Tamron Pro TC. I guess I'll have to get one on eBay. Thanks for remembering - that's very nice of you.

Very cold here also - we got -35C. this week - not very good for digiscoping...

Regards
Jules

Picked up an Apogee 24mm Super Abbe Ortho eyepiece last week with a view to using it for eyepiece projection. It works well enough for that but even better was its performance when using a camera lens through it.

Took these two today with the Canon 450D and a 55mm Pentax SMC Takumar for the Blackbird (ISO800 1/60sec) and a Tokina 28mm RMC for the Blue Tit (ISO800 1/200sec). They give 1470mm and 750mm respectively through the scope plus if you add on the 1.6X crop factor then its 2352mm and 1200mm.

No vignetting with either lens through this eyepiece.

Paul.

Attachments

• Blackbird4.jpg
    Blackbird4.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 200
  • Blue_Tit_4.jpg
    Blue_Tit_4.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Dug out my Celestron Ultima 2X barlow yesterday which I've had for quite a few months now and never used it after trying out when I first purchased it. Initially I was quite disappointed by the performance because of a lot of stray light issues which were washing out the photos and making the contrast very poor.

Anyway I've applied what I've learnt regarding baffling the light coming into the barlow and it's made a big improvement to the contrast and the initial results are encouraging.

Had to photograph these in the rain yesterday and the first 2 are from near on 100m and last one is 35m. Raining again today but should hopefully improve later so that I can try it out in better light.

Paul.

Attachments

• Apo1.jpg
    Apo1.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Apo2.jpg
    Apo2.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Apo3.jpg
    Apo3.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 125
Tried one of Paul's stacking experiments. This Northern Cardinal was taken with the Celestron C80ED scope (600mm fl) and stacked GSO 2x barlow with a 2x Kiron teleconverter for a total 2400mm fl (3600mm with the 1.5x crop factor of the Nikon D2h). Just a quick shot (sorry about all the crap in front of the bird), but I think there's potential there if you really need some extra reach. Distance was about 100 feet.

Attachments

• adb008.jpg
    adb008.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 168
Schools closed so home today. Decided to play around with the eyepiece projection method. This is a comparison between the Celestron C80ED at prime focus (600mm) and then a photo using a Scopetronix Maxview 40 digiscoping eyepiece coupled to a Fuji S2 Pro. Sorry, no birds in sight. The Maxview 40 yields 15X on the 600mm Celestron scope. Shot out the back door through a storm window in cloudy, snowy weather. The first shot was at 1/500th sec and the second at 1/60th, both at 400 iso. No processing other than to resize for posting (and flipping the image taken through the eyepiece). Had to use a lot of extension tubes to get the camera to focus when using eyepiece projection. Looks like roughly a 300% increase in size between the two.

Rick

Attachments

• 600mm.jpg
    600mm.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 1800mm.jpg
    1800mm.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 127
Been shooting about 8 gigs a day this week trying out various bits. My favourite so far is the 2X Celestron Ultima Apo barlow combined with the Kenko Pro 300 1.4X teleconverter. I haven't checked exactly yet but at a rough guess I get around 3000mm equivalent with this combination. The Kenko works well combined with barlows and I get very similar results combining it with the GSO ED barlow. The Celestron is slightly sharper if you pixel peep and it also gives a bit more magnification.

Here's 5 images taken today using this combination, all photos have the ranges marked on them. First one impressed me the most at 100m but had to shoot into the sun an this is uncropped. On the Easy Jet I can even read the make of the tyres on the original photo at 100%. Easyjet is uncropped as is the Woodpigeon. Last two photos have been cropped a little but not by much. Had a lot of snow this week but if things are ok at the weekend then I'll try it out in the field.

Paul.

Attachments

• Kenko+Ultima_1.jpg
    Kenko+Ultima_1.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 169
  • Kenko+Ultima_2.jpg
    Kenko+Ultima_2.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 182
  • Kenko+Ultima_3.jpg
    Kenko+Ultima_3.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 184
  • Kenko+Ultima_4.jpg
    Kenko+Ultima_4.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Kenko+Ultima_5.jpg
    Kenko+Ultima_5.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Last summer, I also tried some stacking. The Canon 1.4X TC and the GSO 2X ED Barlow were performing quite well. Stacking the Canon 2X and 1.4X TCs was not as good - not even close.

Paul, could you please describe the order of the components please - spacers and all. I'm really impressed by those pics.

Thanks
Jules

The order is Camera - Kenko 1.4X TC - 10mm macro tube - T-ring with 2" scope adapter and the barlow is held inside the 2" scope adapter.

I unscrewed the 1.25" chrome barrel containing the barlow lens from the main barlow body. Then I made a collar to go over the chrome barrel so that when I push it into the 2" scope adapter it is a tight fit. It sticks out the back of the t-ring a little which is why I need the 10mm macro tube between the TC and T-mount. On the front of the 2" scope adapter I have a small section of tube painted matte black internally and in the tube are a couple of baffles. Without this the internal reflections are really bad and the whole photo is washed out and lacks contrast. With the baffles it's as you see in the posted images, nice and contrasty. I do the same thing with the 2" GSO barlow and the section of tube with the baffles can be used on either one.

It's my birthday at the end of March so I might get a 2X Televue barlow and give that a try. Would be nice to see how it compares.

Paul.

Last edited:
Ah Ah ! Now I understand why I had difficulty understanding how you used the barlow. Yours is is different from mine.

Mine came as 3 pieces: the 2" barlow itself, an 8.5 cm long 2" spacer with brass compression rings and a 1.25" adapter also with brass compression rings. The barlow screws at the end of the spacer. There are no labels on the barlow nor the adapter and "Smart Astronomy ED 2x BARLOW Fully Multi Coated" is printed in white on the spacer. See here:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/GSO-2-2x-ED-Barlow-Lens-for-Telescope_W0QQitemZ120362435747QQcmdZViewItemQQptZEye_Pieces_Accessories?hash=item120362435747&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

I can screw the barlow directly at the end of the CNC Supply EOS Adapter. I have not observed any internal reflections or flaring with my setup.

How close can you focus with the setup you described ? And where would you put additional spacers to focus closer ?

My 2" GSO is the same as yours but my Celestron Ultima is different which is the one I mount inside the t-mount. The GSO one I screw onto the front of the t-mount the same as you do. My t-mount isn't blackened inside which is probably why I get the hassle with reflections. Even so, the baffles make my teleconverters slightly more contrasty so they do provide some benefit so I'll probably keep using them once I get around to blackening the inside of my T-mount.

Been comparing the two again this morning and there's very little between them and I think any differences are just coming down to nailing the focus. The GSO being 2" also allows for a slightly higher shutter speed.

For close focus the spacers need to go between the scope and the barlow or teleconverter depending on whats used but it's always between the scope and the optics. I can get down to around 4m but you need about 100mm between the scope and the barlow for that. With a teleconverter I can get a lot closer because they don't increase the back focus needed in the same way barlows do.

Paul.

Last edited:
Thanks for your valuable info Paul. My CNC 2" EOS adapter is blackened and baffled - good stuff, very well made.

Been playing some more with the Celestron Ultima barlow today. Trying various of ways of mounting it and getting it dead square which isn't all that easy. Had some success though and as these images show it's capable of some impressive detail. Ran out of light in the end so will try some more tomorrow.

Paul.

Attachments

• Ultima1.jpg
    Ultima1.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 206
  • Ultima2.jpg
    Ultima2.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 242
  • Ultima3.jpg
    Ultima3.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 173
Celestron Ultima barlow with a 50mm macro tube between camera and barlow. This combination gives just over 2000mm or 3200mm with the Canon 1.6X crop factor.

1st image is 30m and pretty much faultless. The last two are 95m. Thought the Blue Tit in last photo was ok at this range for a bird that is only 11cm from tip of bill to end of tail.

Paul.

Attachments

• Celestron1.jpg
    Celestron1.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 180
  • Celestron2.jpg
    Celestron2.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Celestron3.jpg
    Celestron3.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 140
Celestron Ultima barlow with a 50mm macro tube between camera and barlow. This combination gives just over 2000mm or 3200mm with the Canon 1.6X crop factor.

1st image is 30m and pretty much faultless. The last two are 95m. Thought the Blue Tit in last photo was ok at this range for a bird that is only 11cm from tip of bill to end of tail.

Paul.

I'm still impressed with the images you are getting. I'm wondering how the new Panasonic G1 with 2x crop factor would go your type of setup. I can use my Nikon 300/2.8.
Neil

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back