• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skywatcher 80ED + DSLR what do I need ? (1 Viewer)

Hi Alphan

The first image in each row is uncropped and the second image a 100% crop of the first image. The 400mm shot is about 10cm closer than the one with the scope.

Regards

Jaco

about a 60-70% keeper rate on a good day provided I keep the range closer than about 30m. On a bad day I may only get about 40% keepers.

I may have to join the circus on this one.

Had a quick look at shoots for December and these are the averages per 100 shots:

a. Keepers: 43

b. Bad focus (subject totally OoF): 17

c. OoF/blurred due to subject movement: 30

d. Over/under exposed: 6

e. Camera shake: 4

Not as good as I thought.

Regards

Jaco

I'd say out of 100 photos the only ones I would throw away are for bad poses and virtually zero are down to out of focus problems. The only time I really see focus problems is down to atmospheric conditions, it may be too warm, or I shoot over water on a cold day where there will be big differences in water and air temperature. Tiny things will rob the picture of the all important details and it's worth building up knowledge in these areas. Studying the bokeh often shows up if lost details were own to atmospheric problems. I'm way more selective now about the days or rather the conditions I shoot in and also the time of day I shoot on. If you read any of Fernando's tips then these are the main things to keep in mind.

Paul.

Good comparison there Jaco. Thanks for clarification.

Paul, any tips on how to get better focusing? I am considering to the Sony SLT65 to utilise it's EVF MF 7X or 14X magnification. Whenever I add in the 2X TN, I must go for MF magnification to get it right.

Mainly for Punta,
and anyone who is undecided re the ED-80 Scopes,and their Abilities.

Just a little demo of just how good I think the Skywatcher ED-80 is........With Manual Focusing.

The end of the Telephone pole is at least 330 feet from the Scope,and Camera,a lowly 6MP Nikon D-40.

The Telephone pole is in the next street,Diagonaly over from our home.
each block here is 220 Feet Long,I am halfway down our block shooting from the bedroom window.

The Pic,has been cropped,with Lightbox free.

John

Attachments

• DSC_7220_edited_2.jpg
    DSC_7220_edited_2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Heres a Pic of the pole,shot through our bedroom window,while the Nikon D-40 was attached to the Skywatcher ED-80,just to show the Distance.

Obviously,this was taken on a different day,as everything is wet from rain.

John

Attachments

• P1070219.jpg
    P1070219.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Paul, any tips on how to get better focusing? I am considering to the Sony SLT65 to utilise it's EVF MF 7X or 14X magnification. Whenever I add in the 2X TN, I must go for MF magnification to get it right.

Hi Alphan

Try this trick first, it is a lot cheaper;). Get hold of some black film negative or even the first bit of an exposed roll of film. Cut a rectangle to fit in the view finder frame. Drill a 1 mm hole in the centre and stick it to the lens of the view finder with some "Blue Tack" or "Prestik".

I find that this provides a bit more "snap" to the in focus area. Start of with the 1 mm hole, which I found very dark. If not to your liking increase the size of the hole to 1.5 or 2 mm. I prefer the 2 mm as the view finder is not so dark and all the stuff I need to see in the view finder is visible.

Experiment and practice - and good luck.

Best regards

Jaco

Well father Christmas bought me a Celestron Regal 80 F-ED instead of the skywatcher. I think he/she got confused. Got to try and sort out some camera fitting for it now as the max dsl and extension tubes are going to be redundant on this spotting scope.

Last edited:
Jaco, thanks for the tips. Will look for old films to cut and try out. Do you wear glass with this setup? I tried using the Sony 1.12 magnified VF adapter but find it too dark for my eyes.

Punta, that Regal will be a totally different game to the 80ED? Keep us posted on the progress. Have a look here for some tips (if you need any)....http://www.digiscopediary.co.uk/dslr.html .Good luck and enjoy.

Jaco, thanks for the tips. Will look for old films to cut and try out. Do you wear glass with this setup? I tried using the Sony 1.12 magnified VF adapter but find it too dark for my eyes.

Hi Alphan

If you don't have old film, any material (even aluminium) that is opaque (I think black is better) will do. The thinner the better. I used film because it is flexible and free and easy to cut and drill. Don't use cardboard though as it will leave fibres around the hole that will affect the light coming through the hole.

No, I don't wear my glasses or contact lenses with this - that is the whole idea - to get rid of the bother you have with them plastic eyes. Ensure that you set the diopter on the camera view finder for your eye(s) before you do the mod - I normally point it at some open sky (without a lens) and adjust until the centre focus mark is clearest. Then take it from there.

Good luck

Jaco

Well father Christmas bought me a Celestron Regal 80 F-ED instead of the skywatcher. I think he/she got confused. Got to try and sort out some camera fitting for it now as the max dsl and extension tubes are going to be redundant on this spotting scope.

Work your way through this thread here on birdforum. Plenty of info on digiscoping with the Regal spotting scope in there. http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=180569

Paul.

Hi John, I like this photo of the end of the telephone pole. Call me weird I like to look at some telephone poles at high power.;) The wood pattern , also helps if there is a bird of some sort there.

Mainly for Punta,
and anyone who is undecided re the ED-80 Scopes,and their Abilities.

Just a little demo of just how good I think the Skywatcher ED-80 is........With Manual Focusing.

The end of the Telephone pole is at least 330 feet from the Scope,and Camera,a lowly 6MP Nikon D-40.

The Telephone pole is in the next street,Diagonaly over from our home.
each block here is 220 Feet Long,I am halfway down our block shooting from the bedroom window.

The Pic,has been cropped,with Lightbox free.

John

Hi John, I like this photo of the end of the telephone pole. Call me weird I like to look at some telephone poles at high power.;) The wood pattern , also helps if there is a bird of some sort there.

Hi Steve,
Many thanks for your Kind Comments,

The idea of the Pics was to alleviate,any doubts anyone may have had of the ability,to manually focus the ED-80 type scopes,and to display the quality of shots I have managed to obtain,at great distances,and I am no Spring Chicken.

Thanks Again.
Regards.
John

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back