• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which scope to choose? (1 Viewer)

Fantastic shots Alphan :t:

My EP all sold ?

Do you mean my scope kit Alphan ? ... yes most of it has sold. The RVO dual speed Focuser is still for sale and the MAX dslr in EOS mount is still for sale, but thats all thats left

My EP all sold ?

Do you mean my scope kit Alphan ? ... yes most of it has sold. The RVO dual speed Focuser is still for sale and the MAX dslr in EOS mount is still for sale, but thats all thats left

Thanks.

My scope came with just an 25mm Plossl EP. So I thought of getting a few more for other purposes like long distance viewing. It is called a spotting scope by Celestron because the image projected are upright. The SW 80ED also project upright image? If I can get some EP of 5 or 10 mm, I can even use it for Astronomy. Actually my scope came with a 2'-1.25' reducer with the T-2 thread build in. So I only need to get a T-2 to my camera mount costing about US$6 shipped.

I do find my focuser adequate for my use at the moment. But to use other focuser would mean additional adapter and weight. Any idea if spotting scope's EP similar to yours or Celestron Regal can fit to Astronomy scope?

My EP all sold ?

Thanks.

My scope came with just an 25mm Plossl EP. So I thought of getting a few more for other purposes like long distance viewing. It is called a spotting scope by Celestron because the image projected are upright. The SW 80ED also project upright image? If I can get some EP of 5 or 10 mm, I can even use it for Astronomy. Actually my scope came with a 2'-1.25' reducer with the T-2 thread build in. So I only need to get a T-2 to my camera mount costing about US$6 shipped.

I do find my focuser adequate for my use at the moment. But to use other focuser would mean additional adapter and weight. Any idea if spotting scope's EP similar to yours or Celestron Regal can fit to Astronomy scope?

Any idea if spotting scope's EP similar to yours or Celestron Regal can fit to Astronomy scope?

The Celestron Regal uses standard 1.25" astronomy eyepieces so the answer to that is yes.

Spotting scope eyepieces can be used but it's best to mount them into a 1.25" or a 2" chrome barrel just to make it easy to put them on the scope.

Basically any eyepiece from any source can be used as long as you find a way to mount it.

Even an old camera lens can be used as an eyepiece and they can be amazingly sharp. I use a step down ring into which I can mount a 1.25" chrome barrel.

There was someone on here a few years ago who used a camera lens on a scope with a P&S for digiscoping and got excellent results.

Paul.

Last edited:
The Celestron Regal uses standard 1.25" astronomy eyepieces so the answer to that is yes.

Spotting scope eyepieces can be used but it's best to mount them into a 1.25" or a 2" chrome barrel just to make it easy to put them on the scope.

Basically any eyepiece from any source can be used as long as you find a way to mount it.

Even an old camera lens can be used as an eyepiece and they can be amazingly sharp. I use a step down ring into which I can mount a 1.25" chrome barrel.

There was someone on here a few years ago who used a camera lens on a scope with a P&S for digiscoping and got excellent results.

Paul.

So if an old camera lens is used as an EP, could the formula for magnification calculation still be used? The lens would be mounted front to focuser or rear to focuser? Unfortunately all my old lenses and MF prime lenses are all sold. Would love to try out all combination including reversed lens.

Last edited:
So if an old camera lens is used as an EP, could the formula for magnification calculation still be used? The lens would be mounted front to focuser or rear to focuser? Unfortunately all my old lenses and MF prime lenses are all sold. Would love to try out all combination including reversed lens.

Yes the same formula can still be used. A 50mm lens becomes a 50mm eyepiece which on the SW would yield 12X, a 28mm lens would be 21X. Smaller lenses than 28mm that could give higher magnification tend to be very expensive though which is the main problem wit this route. The 50 and 28 make nice low power eyepieces though. Not sure on the best way to mount them but they seem to work either way round.

Paul.

Yes the same formula can still be used. A 50mm lens becomes a 50mm eyepiece which on the SW would yield 12X, a 28mm lens would be 21X. Smaller lenses than 28mm that could give higher magnification tend to be very expensive though which is the main problem wit this route. The 50 and 28 make nice low power eyepieces though. Not sure on the best way to mount them but they seem to work either way round.

Paul.

I ask because there is a posting somewhere (not in BF) about using DSLR lens together with scope EP to get better details but not as convenient as P&S. It's impossible to use SLR UWA on scope as EP. Any UWA wide enough for practical usage would have a too big a lens to mount on he scope. Most would be 62mm and above.

Took out the 80ED to a Park nearby but rain non stop. Came back with nothing but soaked equipment. So I took out the 80ED lens cell to check if water manage to seep in but all dry. Then I noticed that the glass within the cell are actually not tightly held down. When I shake it, the glass actually rattle. Is it normal?

You need to tighten the compression collar a bit more.

Thanks Musoman. Just got it fix. Turned about 1/2 inch and it's now tight. BTW, did you ever took the 2 glass out? Are they both stuck together or two loose pieces. I ask because it's very humid here and I can't put it in the dry box. I can only leave it in the open room but clean it every now and them when required.

They are 2 seperate elements, Alphan, i believe. They are called an airpspaced doublet scope. Probably an english word, but doublet means 2. One of them is the FPL 53 element, though you'd need to varify that with someone.

Alphan, Here is some information on the ED doublet. Big thing is mark original location as to each lens. In other words if the one lens moves, rotates from original location.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3622074/Main/3614043

Also buy dessicant packets.
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbarch...=725359&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=all&vc=1

Thanks for info. Quickly checked my scope again and found it not really tightened. So I just loosen it a bit and just hand tight with two small pins.

Good work Steve - seems that retaining ring shouldnt be too tight.

Thanks Pete!! There is a lot of information on Cloudy Nights. Great site. There is some more info on this stuff, but only found these the other night. There is a Google search for this site, PM me if you want a link.

I'm alright there Steve - i dont need google to find this place B :)

Yep, cloudy nights is a place i found a while back. Some good info on there

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back