• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gavia pacifica or Gavia arctica ? (1 Viewer)

Interesting bird (not sure it is identifiable in thses pics - and location will only enable id through probability!) The lack of a flank patch seems to favour pacifica, but personally i can't rule out Great Northern (immer) from these pics - 1st pic looks very round headed, but am I imaging a peaked crown in the second!!

Meant to say, 'peaked forehead'. The 'chin strap' noticable in the first pick is not so obvious in the last, so may just be shadow?!?

Which is why I wasn't going to use it to make one.

So for this thread, why ask (although I understand that distribution for some id's is instrumental)? If it was a general comment to the poster about putting locations in the title then a single word post might not have been so helpful!

The fact that the second pic almost suggests Great Northern yet the first pic shows it to definately be a Black-throated type suggests the latter for a start if the jizz differences between pacifica and arctica are consistent. Also the second and third pics do show a flank patch, so if they are all of the same bird, it is a Black-throated Diver arctica.

Jan

Funny thing is if I'd only been shown the first two pics and not known they were the same bird, I'd have had been leaning towards Pacific and Great Northern (albeit not making an identification on these grounds without better pics :))!

Excuse me, I made these photos in Ukraine.
Pictures of my friend:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 114
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back