• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Martin transplant! (1 Viewer)

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
Last week my wife phoned to tell me that a house martin nest at the school where she teaches had fallen down. The young had been collected and placed in a box.

I went to the rescue! Together with a parent we gave the chicks a drink and fashioned a replacement nest out of a sweet container. We placed it as high up as would could and waited. The parents had been continually visiting the site of their former nest all morning but it took them a few hours to discover that their chicks were a couple of metres lower in a blue plastic box.

A week later and the chicks are doing fine, sticking their heads out of the hole we cut in the tub!

Attachments

• nest.jpg
    nest.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 43
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back