• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Damselfly i.d. (1 Viewer)

Torchepot

United Kingdom
On a very warm afternoon last week we were sitting by the pond when I noticed several small damselflies had appeared. I should have paid more attention, but to be honest I was half asleep in the sun!

Having looked through Steve Brooks guide I’m now a bit confused. They were very pale - I would say straw coloured and very small. I thought they would hang around by the water but they seemed to fairly quickly disperse. I checked to see if I could find one actually emerging and found a single perched damselfly which looked to be a dark brownish colour - of similar size.

My first thought was male and female of the same species but can’t find anything that fits. I didn’t realise that damselflies have transitional phases - which complicates things.

The closest I can find to the straw-coloured ones is White-legged but can’t find any records for this area (Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire borders) and Brooks states emergence as starting in late May.

Any ideas?

Unlikely to be White-legged- they don't normally breed in garden ponds. Emerging damselflies are known as tenerals + takes a few days or so to colour up + have drab colours. Maybe Large Red, Azure or Blue-tailed Damselfly?

Any good photos?

Thanks aeshna - sorry I was totally unprepared, but I’ve got the camera ready for a repeat - so hopefully I can get some photos next time. I think you may be right with Blue-tailed as the previous owner thinks he saw them here.

It’s one enormous pond so hopefully something interesting may turn up.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back