• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thekla Lark in southern France (1 Viewer)

Paul Longland

Off to the camargue region in a few weeks. Will be planning a trip to mt ventoux region whilst there and some time ago read a report regarding the regions only site for Thekla lark somewhere and now cannot find it.
I am sure that I did not imagine this as it gave the name of the village stating that the birds can be found in the hilly area just to the north of the village. I did find it on the map at the time somewhere NW of Mt ventoux but now am at a loss.

Anybody who has any information that might lead us to the right place would be gratefully received.

I presume you have tried ebird?

Yes. Doesnt give any returns. It seems to have a few gaps for the region. Really am beginning to think that I must of imagined the whole thing. I have this vague memory that it was in a trip report by some Scandinavian guy but that could be my memory playing tricks on me too.

Not mapped anywhere near the Camargue / Mt Ventoux area in either the EBCC European Breeding Atlas, nor the new Handbook of W Pal Birds. The only French population is close to the Spanish border in the Perpignan area.

Getting mixed up with Pin-tailed Sandgrouse??

The only French sites for Thekla's lark are far in the SW, near the Spanish border. The eBird data reflects this quite nicely! It was either your imagination, a vagrant, or a misidentification - latter two options best choices!

Not mapped anywhere near the Camargue / Mt Ventoux area in either the EBCC European Breeding Atlas, nor the new Handbook of W Pal Birds. The only French population is close to the Spanish border in the Perpignan area.

Getting mixed up with Pin-tailed Sandgrouse??
No hoping for them in Le Crau area

The only French sites for Thekla's lark are far in the SW, near the Spanish border. The eBird data reflects this quite nicely! It was either your imagination, a vagrant, or a misidentification - latter two options best choices!

I am beginning to suspect the latter. easily confused with crested lark

I think the general consensus here is that I am obviously losing my marbles.8-P
I have been reading so many field reports, most of which are pretty slim or lacking in detail (guided tours) I have probably gotten myself in a bit of a pickle.
Think I will just stick to Dave Gosney's booklet, ebirds and try to glean some local knowledge when we get there. Probably more fun that way and likely to be current.

Thekla Lark or not still looking at a possible 30+ potential lifers as this is my first proper birding trip outside of these shores.
Many thanks.

I knew I hadn't imagined it. Fat birder website for provence mentions cave as a site for spotless starling and as the only French site for thekla lark. Unless there are two caves the only on I found on the map was about 40km north of orange. Can anyone confirm this or have I got the wrong cave

Edit think I have answered my own question. I think it is Aude/narbonnaise region which is indeed in the south west of the region

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back