• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa scope: straight or angled? (1 Viewer)

wings

Which one did you get? I intend to purchase one for birding and digiscoping. From research I have read, most people prefer the angled scope for ease of use for people of different height, low angle viewing; those who prefer the straight scope say it can aim and focus faster and perhaps more conveneint for digiscoping. Some manufacturers charge more for the angled design but it seems the price is the same, straight or angled, for Kowa.

What is your take on this? I realize each individual has unique needs regarding his/her scope, so I appreciate your feedback.

Dennis

I currently have both straight and angled scopes and both have their merits as you've already no doubt read about. My response is to point out an oft-missed aspect of large straight scopes, and that is they require a very tall, stable tripod if one is to be able to use it "looking up".

This adds considerably to the overall weight/bulk package, still makes for a much less stable setup, and still isn't as comfortable to use. Again, looking up.

You really should try and use both types, Kowa or not, before you buy one and see which type you prefer.

Good luck,
Kevin

I prefer straight through scopes because I can find things way faster. angled scopes have some advantages for sure, but this is enought to keep me personally behind a straight through one.

Cheers,

Russ

I remember reading someplace--probably on one of numerous BF optics threads--that because of the extra bend in the light path the prisms in angled scopes are more expensive to manufacture than those in their straight-through brethren. Is this true and, if so, is it equally true of all brands or is it less of a problem with some designs than of others? What is the effect on image quality, if any? Are the angled versions of scopes by a given manufacturer significantly less good optically than the equivalent straight-through models? If they are, I'm surprised that IQ differences between the 2 types of scopes don't figure more prominently in "what should I get--straight or angled?" type discussions (of which there have been lots on BF over the years).

I'm asking these questions mainly out of curiosity since I personally much prefer angled scopes--I've had lots of experience with both angled and straight--for all the usual reasons.

Last edited:
I remember reading someplace--probably on one of numerous BF optics threads--that because of the extra bend in the light path the prisms in angled scopes are more expensive to manufacture than those in their straight-through brethren. Is this true ...?
_______-

I was wrong in my initial post: the angled Kowa cost apporximately $43 more than the straight one. So maybe you have a point there.

The 883 and 773 Kowas use Schmidt roof prisms in the angled versions (as do Swarovski, Zeiss and the new Leicas). That design improves light transmission compared to the combination of Porro and semi-pentaprism used in the older angled Kowa 823 (and old Leica 77/62mm Televid, Swarovski AT-80, Pentax 80/65 ED, Nikon 50ED Fieldscope), but it does place a roof edge in the middle of the light cone and that means phase correction is required (adding to the expense) and the roof edge splitting the light cone provides a potential source of image degradation if the roof is not made to a very high standard (also expensive). The angled Nikon 60/82mm Fieldscopes also use Schmidt prisms, but in an optically superior arrangement. The prism is oversized and offset so that the roof edge is kept outside of the light cone where it can't cause any mischief. Consequently the Nikon Schmidt prisms don't need phase correction and don't have to be made to such a high standard.

The performance of an angled scope with a well made Schmidt prism should be similar a straight version that uses a Porro prism (Swarovski, Nikon, Kowa,) and a bit better than a straight version that uses a Schmidt-Pechan roof prism (Zeiss and the new Leicas).

Last edited:
The 883 and 773 Kowas use Schmidt roof prisms in the angled versions (as do Swarovski, Zeiss and the new Leicas). That design improves light transmission compared to the combination of Porro and semi-pentaprism used in the older angled Kowa 823 (and old Leica 77/62mm Televid, Swarovski AT-80 and Pentax 80/65 ED), but it does place a roof edge in the middle of the light cone and that means phase correction is required (adding to the expense) and the roof edge splitting the light cone provides a potential source of image degradation if the roof is not made to a very high standard (also expensive). The angled Nikon Fieldscopes also use Schmidt prisms, but in an optically superior arrangement. The prism is oversized and offset so that the roof edge is kept outside of the light cone where it can't cause any mischief. Consequently the Nikon Schmidt prisms don't need phase correction and don't have to be made to such a high standard.

The performance of an angled scope with a well made Schmidt prism should be quite similar a straight version that uses a Porro prism (Swarovski, Nikon, Kowa,) and a bit better than a straight version that uses a Schmidt-Pechan roof prism (Zeiss and the new Leicas).

Very interesting--answers all my questions. Many thanks.

One of the few situations where an angled one would be a worse option is when the scope is fixed to the window glass in a car. Nowadays my Zeiss 85 is unusable in my car although there wasn't any problem in my previous vehicle.

Thanks everyone for your insightful feedback. Fernando, I didn't even think of the problem when viewing from inside of one's car.

Dennis

I prefer straight through scopes because I can find things way faster. angled scopes have some advantages for sure, but this is enought to keep me personally behind a straight through one.

hehehe i used sighter with my scope from cable tie to follow birds in flight for my angled scope ;)

I have always preferred striaght scopes as I find it to be uncomfortable with my head bent over as though I am looking at my toes. Head straight up seems to me to be more natural.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back