• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mimidae (1 Viewer)

As is common practice on this forum, Peter was helpfully alerting us to the fact that an interesting paper is forthcoming - 'in review' (as Peter clearly stated) - see bottom of p2.

Thanks, Peter. :t:

Richard

Last edited:
Galápagos mockingbirds

Štefka, Hoeck, Keller & Smith 2011. A hitchhikers guide to the Galápagos: co-phylogeography of Galápagos mockingbirds and their parasites. BMC Evol Biol 11: 284. [pdf]

Last edited:
Galápagos Mockingbird

Nietlisbach, Wandeler, Parker, Grant, Grant, Keller & Hoeck (in press). Hybrid ancestry of an island subspecies of Galápagos mockingbird explains discordant gene trees. Mol Phylogenet Evol. [abstract]

Cody 2005 (HBW 10).

Last edited:
I am looking a little at Galapagos species at the moment, after visiting in August. My question is Española Mockingbird: why is this still called Hood Mockingbird by for example the IOC list? I have not recently seen a map containing the word Hood for Española, so it is not really helpful to stick to the old name anymore?

Niels

I am looking a little at Galapagos species at the moment, after visiting in August. My question is Española Mockingbird: why is this still called Hood Mockingbird by for example the IOC list? I have not recently seen a map containing the word Hood for Española, so it is not really helpful to stick to the old name anymore?

Niels

Maybe recognising that the letter ñ is very difficult to generate for many users (e.g. my mobile phone can't type it), and "Espanola" with an ordinary 'n' is a ghastly misrepresentation?

Even with my desktop, it's tricky, I have to look up on my crib sheet to find the code Alt+0241 for it, as I don't use it often enough to memorise it.

AOU-SACC Proposal #242 (Wiedenfeld 2006) resulted in SACC's adoption of the English name Española Mockingbird – also used by eBird/Clements, BirdLife and HBW (but H&M4 uses the name Hood Island Mockingbird).

AOU-SACC Proposal #242 (Wiedenfeld 2006) resulted in SACC's adoption of the English name Española Mockingbird – also used by eBird/Clements, BirdLife and HBW (but H&M4 uses the name Hood Island Mockingbird).
Actually, Proposal #242 doesn't propose Española Mockingbird — it proposes "Espa�ola Mockingbird", presumably because of some clunky software which fails to create a ñ. Not sure how a little box with FFFD in is supposed to be pronounced 3:)

Q.E.D. to my earlier post!

Actually, Proposal #242 doesn't propose Española Mockingbird — it proposes "Espa�ola Mockingbird", presumably because of some clunky software which fails to create a ñ. Not sure how a little box with FFFD in is supposed to be pronounced 3:)

Q.E.D. to my earlier post!

I think that the way SACC pages appear depends on both the system you are using and on which browser you use. For example, there is no problem viewing it on my iPad.

For most uses, Espanola and Española are close enough to each other that I do not see a big problem.

Niels

SACC: diacritics

AOU-SACC...
[NOTE: For reasons still to be determined, the server is changing the encoding of files so that diacritical marks are not being displayed properly on these pages. Until this is fixed, a temporary fix for Macintosh users is to go to your browser, find the Encoding menu and change from Unicode to �Western (Macintosh)�. In Chrome, go to View > Encoding > select Western (Macintosh). Thanks to Steve Smith for figuring this out]

Niels
IOC will revisit

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back