• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fujifilm 100-400mm (1 Viewer)

hoodlum

This is the 3rd mirrorless telephoto lens released this month. I wonder what took them so long to finally enter this space?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/138696...5-6-ois-wr-lens-moves-from-roadmap-to-reality

Fujifilm has officially announced its Fujinon XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR lens, which has been on the company's roadmap since early 2015.

This weather-sealed lens, equivalent to 152-609mm (F6.8-8.4 equivalent) when mounted on an X-series body, has nine rounded aperture blades, 5 ED and 1 Super ED elements, and a fluorine coating. It also features a 5-stop image stabilization system and twin linear motors for fast, responsive focusing performance.

The lens is compatible with Fujifilm's 1.4X teleconverter, giving users an equivalent focal length of 213-853mm.

You'll be able to pick up the 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 lens in February for $1899.95.

Attachments

• XF100-400mm_hadgrip_flat.jpeg
    XF100-400mm_hadgrip_flat.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 383
seems like nice lens, 5 stops stabilization, and "freeze" proof,
a bit lighter and cheaper than nikon 80-400 AF-S,
but size seems about the same,
quite bulky, compared to the leica 100-400 DG,
just wonder how a heavy lens like this will feel on the fuji bodies

Last edited:
A friend has the Fuji X-T1 and the colour rendition is superb (much nicer than my Panasonic G3). With a high spec 100-400mm lens the system is extremely tempting!

A friend has the Fuji X-T1 and the colour rendition is superb (much nicer than my Panasonic G3). With a high spec 100-400mm lens the system is extremely tempting!

yep, excellent IQ,
but the grip is shallow, battery grip might help though,
I guess I have to check this combo out before deciding,
not sure if it's the best lightweight combo for birds and wildlife.

If you shoot in RAW and let the computer do the conversion, is there still any difference?

Niels

If you shoot in RAW and let the computer do the conversion, is there still any difference?

Niels

the low noise, lack of moire you can see in the raw-file,
but for 100% fuji's color rendition you need fuji's own raw-development
or just using the jpg:s.
(But I guess it depends on how the actual raw converter is handling the files..)

Skin tones always seem to look very good with Fuji cams.

I can see the differences even when using Aperture for developing raw-files, so it's not only
jpg-rendering that makes the difference. Nikons I have owned
always seem to render skin tones a bit too yellowish (by default).

Here you can compare with other cameras, raw/jpg at different ISO.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t1/17

Last edited:
Glad someone has started the posting on this lens.

Can't wait to get my hands on it in February and it will hopefully be the end of lugging around weighty DSLR kit. The fuji sensors ability to deal with large crops is also very attractive.

As someone who has waited 2 years for a lens like this I am very pleased to finally see it emerge.

Quote: Originally Posted by Hobbes2:

Niels

Hi Niels, I'm glad Vespobuteo provided some input here. All I know is that the sensor technology in the fuji mirrorless cameras is pretty special. I can't remember the details but googling it might bring some answers. Ultimately, I only saw the results when my friend and I compared shots. As I say, the colour rendition on the fuji was the best, true-to-life output I've ever seen. I was very impressed.

The lens looks great but I have never really liked the pixel level detail from the x-trans sensor. I only work with RAW files and prefer the Bayer sensors that everyone else uses, especially with heavy cropping.

Can't wait to get my hands on it in February and it will hopefully be the end of lugging around weighty DSLR kit.

Not following you here. The lens weighs about the same as comparable Canon/Nikon zooms designed for DSLRs, and Fuji cameras have the same crop factor as APSC DSLRs, so where would the big weight savings come from vs. DSLRs?

"One positive point in favour of the X-T1 is that it's now possible to match the camera's lovely JPEG colours when shooting Raw, although only via the latest iterations of Adobe Camera Raw (version 8.4) and Lightroom. Notably. though, you don't get this ability out of the box with the bundled software. Even so it's a step forward for Fujifilm shooters, which we're pleased to see."

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t1/19

Not following you here. The lens weighs about the same as comparable Canon/Nikon zooms designed for DSLRs, and Fuji cameras have the same crop factor as APSC DSLRs, so where would the big weight savings come from vs. DSLRs?

Currently using a 1D mk 3 and 400 F5.6 with a combined weight of about 2.6KG.

The 100-400 with the X-T1 will be about 1.7KG, so a noticeable reduction.

It is also the size/portability which will be a huge benefit to me as I like to travel light when going abroad.

It is also the size/portability which will be a huge benefit to me as I like to travel light when going abroad.

this guy switched from Nikon D3S to Fuji X-T1,
interesting thought,
he recommends the vertical/battery grip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZM40jC2ueE

Fair enough. Looks like the fuji body is one of the lightest DSLR-like camera bodies (440g) that use the APS-C sensor--even a smidge lighter than the heavier micro 4/3 bodies (though these have 2x crop factor of course). (For info of others reading who may be unfamiliar, I'll also note that your current Canon camera body is an older model, and heavier (1155g) compared to some newer DSLR options, e.g. Nikon D500 (860g).)

Last edited:
I have an X-T1 and the X-T10, plus 5 lenses, having sold all my Canon dslr kit last year. This lens will complete the kit. I've reduced the total weight of my kit to less than 1/3rd of the Canon outfit, and my shoulders are very thankful.
Cant wait to buy this!

I have an X-T1 and the X-T10, plus 5 lenses, having sold all my Canon dslr kit last year. This lens will complete the kit. I've reduced the total weight of my kit to less than 1/3rd of the Canon outfit, and my shoulders are very thankful.
Cant wait to buy this!

Have mine on order. 2nd/3rd week Feb arrival. Excited is not the word i'd use right now. Its all I can think about!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back