• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (2 Viewers)

Greenfinch this morning, surprised it took this long as normally get a good few of these

Plenty of Corvids flying around, but none actually in the garden yet

On the issue of Greenfinchs, I haven’t had any in or around the garden - whereas in previous years they are a regular at the feeder, in good numbers. A very quick scan though other lists on this thread appears to show them as absent or ‘late’ in other folks gardens. Is the apparent lack of Greenfinchs this year a wider perception?

Stewart

On the issue of Greenfinchs, I haven’t had any in or around the garden - whereas in previous years they are a regular at the feeder, in good numbers. A very quick scan though other lists on this thread appears to show them as absent or ‘late’ in other folks gardens. Is the apparent lack of Greenfinchs this year a wider perception?

Stewart

Sixty years ago, Greenfinch was the dominant finch to gardens, forest and hedgerow NEast London, Epping Forest. They used to come off the ground like tracer bullets during mid-winter! Now Chaffinch is the dominant species at this time, haven’t been any Greenfinches in the forest flock for at least two years, with only half dozen prior to that!

Not good.....:-C

Greenfinches, though much reduced in number for a few years now, are holding their own in my part of the world. Regularly have a few here - up to 6 or 8 sometimes. Elsewhere further afield they seem to be ok - though not half as plentiful as they once were.

Greenfinches, though much reduced in number for a few years now, are holding their own in my part of the world. Regularly have a few here - up to 6 or 8 sometimes. Elsewhere further afield they seem to be ok - though not half as plentiful as they once were.

Finding plenty of them here in New Zealand (along with lots of other introduced species!)
Nice and warm though8-P

Terrible winter overall for my feeders in Cheshire - no Brambling, Bullfinches or Greenfinches at all. They're usually always present. The latter two are around and heard calling occ but in much reduced numbers. No Brambling at all. The only increase noted this winter has been House Sparrow, a decent 20 plus most of the time up from one or two five years ago.
Luv Dave

Terrible winter overall for my feeders in Cheshire - no Brambling, Bullfinches or Greenfinches at all. They're usually always present. The latter two are around and heard calling occ but in much reduced numbers. No Brambling at all. The only increase noted this winter has been House Sparrow, a decent 20 plus most of the time up from one or two five years ago.
Luv Dave

Needing all of those seed eaters! Regarding Brambling....currently Slovenia has got a near monopoly on the latter, even more impressive at roost time circa 5,000,000 in an approximate 125 metre radius! courtesy of RBA Newsletter (which I can't seem to provide a link to). :eek!:

Needing all of those seed eaters! Regarding Brambling....currently Slovenia has got a near monopoly on the latter, even more impressive at roost time circa 5,000,000 in an approximate 125 metre radius! courtesy of RBA Newsletter (which I can't seem to provide a link to). :eek!:
I havent any Bramblings nor Greenfinches this winter , the last 10 winters there has always been some in the garden.

Large flocks such as this are reasonably regular in central Europe, can be even larger. Almost none up here however, and individuals at my feeders are invariably spring or autumn.

Last edited:
Large flocks such as this are reasonably regular in central Europe, can be even larger. Almost none up here however, and individuals at my feeders are invariably spring or autumn.

In the RBA Newsletter (which I can’t link to), the Winter of 50/51 produced (in Switzerland, and how they attempted to quantify it...?) an estimated 70 million Brambling!! Effectively 14x the Slovenian roost, wonder what the “radius” on that was....:eek!:

A garden life tick at 8.10am, out of a wall to wall blue sky flying North East, “that’s no Mallard” I exclaimed as I picked up the bins! “Goose-a-a-n-d...Red-breasted Merganser!”....still can’t believe it. no.46.

Jumping in kind of late from my snowy garden in Northern Indiana.

1. Red-bellied Woodpecker
2. Downy Woodpecker
3. Hairy Woodpecker
4. Black-capped Chickadee
5. White-breasted Nuthatch
6. European Starling
7. Dark-eyed Junco
8. Song Sparrow
9. Northern Cardinal
10. House Sparrow
11. Northern Flicker
12. Tufted Titmouse
13. Red-breasted Nuthatch
14. Swamp Sparrow
15. Blue Jay
16. Eastern Bluebird
17. House Finch
18. American Goldfinch
19. Mourning Dove
20. American Robin
21. American Tree Sparrow

Last edited:
One wonderful addition this afternoon with a male (!)

26. Northern Harrier (f)

cruising far to the NW. This is one of a very few males I've seen from the yard and possibly my first winter yard harrier. Almost all of the ones seen from the yard are females/immatures in migration.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back