• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habicht 8x30 vs new CL companon 8x30 B (1 Viewer)

Does the new CL830 employ some kind of ED element in the objective? or it's just an achromat?
On Swarovski website, EL has "fluoride-containing HD lenses", SLC is rather vague for saying they use "HD optical system" , but on CL the website says nothing.

Does the new CL830 employ some kind of ED element in the objective? or it's just an achromat?
On Swarovski website, EL has "fluoride-containing HD lenses", SLC is rather vague for saying they use "HD optical system" , but on CL the website says nothing.

It has Swarovski's Swarodur, Swarobright and Swarotop coatings.

https://aa.swarovskioptik.com/download/pdf/5497475-TD.pdf

The EL has Swarotop, Swarodur, Swaroclean and Swarobright coatings.

https://aa.swarovskioptik.com/download/pdf/5222839-TD.pdf

Bob

Last edited:
Very tempted to try the pockets now. This was a very informative thread. By the way, I fixed most of my glare/ease-of-view issues on the habicht using winged eyecups that extend the eyecups. I posted pictures in a separate thread.

You are spot-on - the habicht's are a reference gold standard for contrast/sharpness and are the only binoculars i have looked through with dead-on accurate color reproduction.

Of several of the 8x30 Swarovski binoculars, I have not found them needing ED glass.

They perform well, and CA is not an issue at all. So I would not be concerned at all.

As far as CA goes, and that is where ED or HD glass would be important, it is not as important in the
smaller sizes, compared to 40 mm and larger.

Jerry

These said nothing about whether ed glass is used or not.

These are Swarovski's names for their coatings. I have forgotten what they translate into which should include their version of ED glass in one of them.

In any case the CL Companion 8x30 B has all the coatings that the ELs have except Swaroclean which has something to do with making the lenses easy keep clean.

Bob

Last edited:
Of several of the 8x30 Swarovski binoculars, I have not found them needing ED glass.

They perform well, and CA is not an issue at all. So I would not be concerned at all.

As far as CA goes, and that is where ED or HD glass would be important, it is not as important in the
smaller sizes, compared to 40 mm and larger.

Jerry

Actually CA is the single biggest issue of CL series.

Actually CA is the single biggest issue of CL series.

Not in my CL Companion 8x30 B. Optically it has no issues. It is very bright and sharp. It has excellent glare control. The new "optical box" in the oculars makes eye placement as easy as simply putting it up to my eyes. I have never been troubled with CA in any binocular and it didn't bother me in my earlier Swarovski CL Series 8x30 binocular.

It is the best and easiest to use 8x30 I have ever owned and that includes my Nikon 8x30 EII and Swarovski SLC 8x30 WB.

I don't like the new strap attachments. They annoy the webbing between my thumbs and forefingers.

Bob

Not being sensitive to CA doesn't mean its not there....I have read user reports of ''no issues'' with CA before [various models], then try them myself and find CA to be obvious and troublesome.

Last edited:
The original CL 8x30 did show some CA when I tested for it in the beginning. I noticed it right in the central view too. But, it seemed minimal/subtle and is not an issue for me. I haven't noticed it again since using it (now that I don't purposefully look for it).
Been using it a while now and really like the view. CA is certainly not bad and I've seen worse, but if you're sensitive to CA then you may not like it.

I can't comment on the new CL (haven't tried it).

Last edited:
Not being sensitive to CA doesn't mean its not there....I have read user reports of ''no issues'' with CA before [various models], then try them myself and find CA to be obvious and troublesome.

I pointed out in earlier posts that the CL Companion's coatings were the same as the ELs except for not having Swaroclean.

I haven't read any complaints about CA in the EL.

Have there been complaints that the EL has problems with CA? I suspect that more people use them than use the CL Companions.

Bob

Last edited:
I think coating has noting to do with CA correction.
It's due to the glass material.
I can live with the CA in my CL companion, but not satisfied with the sharpness, my little zeiss 8x25 victory is much sharper.

I think coating has noting to do with CA correction.
It's due to the glass material.
I can live with the CA in my CL companion, but not satisfied with the sharpness, my little zeiss 8x25 victory is much sharper.

That is interesting.

How is Chromatic Aberration corrected in binocular lens glass?

Bob

Last edited:
When I tested the new CL Companions, I saw considerably less CA than in the first version CL, enough of a difference that I noted in my Finnish language only, Linnut magazine review of them that had the specifications talked about HD glass in the Companion, I would not have doubted it for a second. I'm reasonably but not super-sensitive to CA, and for me the Companion was easily good enough.

Kimmo

That is interesting.

How is Chromatic Aberration corrected in binocular lens glass?

Bob
I did not know why you kept talking about coatings, now I understand.
That's the reason I ask whether ed glass is used. Official literature says nothing directly on this point, but it seems safe to infer CL series has no ed glass.

How high does the Abbe No. have to be to qualify a glass as ED? How long is a piece of string?
The Abbe No. of Schott N-FK5 is 70, that of Ohara S-FPL53 95. The glass used is only half the story.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back